PDA

View Full Version : Ext 4 driver for windows

praveesh
October 20th, 2009, 04:44 PM
My friend wish to view the linux partition in windows . I could find ext 2 driver for windows in the internet . But he is planning to move to karmic . And I couldn't find any ext 4 drivers for windows in the net . Is there any ext4 drivers for windows available ? Thanks

Is this question in the right place ? Should I ask in the main support categories ?

openfly
October 20th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I know ext3 was backwards compatible to ext2 so windows ext2 drivers would work. I am not familiar with ext4s compatability with ext2.

Nozze
October 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I only know that I had trouble with the ext2driver at my ext4 partition so I would like a new driver if some one have one.

Jesus_Valdez
October 20th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I installed the afore mention driver for EXT2 and I'm unable to see my Jaunty partition (EXT4) from windows Vista.

So, I hope You could find a solution and share it with us.

Dragonbite
October 20th, 2009, 06:22 PM
This would be extremely helpful.

sanderj
October 20th, 2009, 06:30 PM
See info here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1181698

Short answer: No, you can't.

Dragonbite
October 20th, 2009, 06:32 PM
See info here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1181698

Short answer: No, you can't.

Yet.

Excedio
October 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Where there's a will...there's a way ;-)

Nerd King
October 21st, 2009, 04:40 AM
Personally I wouldn't want windows accessing my linux partition thank you very much. It's a nice little security barrier keeping them seperate! My simple rule is Don't Give Windows Access To Anything Important.

oldfred
October 21st, 2009, 04:46 AM
+1 for Nerd King

If you have to share something create a separate NTFS partition.

JoshuaRL
October 21st, 2009, 04:48 AM
Personally I wouldn't want windows accessing my linux partition thank you very much. It's a nice little security barrier keeping them seperate! My simple rule is Don't Give Windows Access To Anything Important.

Fair enough, I once had my brother install a game to my root folder accidentally through XP. But ext3 and especially ext4 are vastly better filesystems than NTFS. So if I want to store all my media and important documents on my Ubuntu partition (where I'm at usually anyway) and read them on Windows, that isn't a ridiculous request. I'm of the opinion now that a dual-boot system is necessary. Nothing is better for fixing dumb user-born problems than a second bootable OS. After all, LiveCDs are REALLY slow.

Giant Speck
October 21st, 2009, 04:58 AM
I would love to be able to access my Linux partitions from my Windows partition. I mean, I can access my Windows partition from my Linux partition; why shouldn't I be able to do the opposite?

Nerd King
October 21st, 2009, 05:11 AM
Fair enough, I once had my brother install a game to my root folder accidentally through XP. But ext3 and especially ext4 are vastly better filesystems than NTFS. So if I want to store all my media and important documents on my Ubuntu partition (where I'm at usually anyway) and read them on Windows, that isn't a ridiculous request. I'm of the opinion now that a dual-boot system is necessary. Nothing is better for fixing dumb user-born problems than a second bootable OS. After all, LiveCDs are REALLY slow.
I agree about dual-boot, it's very handy for fixing broken stuff, though a usb with a suitable linux is just as good.

Personally I would recommend putting media on the windows partition (and backing up to an external drive using ext4) and that way you can access it from Windows AND linux without a problem, or as oldfred suggested make a separate ntfs partition for the job. That way, no linux components are exposed to risk.

Frak
October 21st, 2009, 05:18 AM
I would love to be able to access my Linux partitions from my Windows partition. I mean, I can access my Windows partition from my Linux partition; why shouldn't I be able to do the opposite?
The irony is staggering.

AllRadioisDead
October 21st, 2009, 05:28 AM
The irony is staggering.
Haha, yes it is.:)