PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Migrating system to ubuntu from other distro

mxa055
October 20th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Hello there,

I was given a small box containing some stripped down linux distro that acts as a bluetooth server. The system has an obex service and uses w3browse to give access to browser management.
I need to change the hardware on this system but obviously the stripped down does not support it. I thought instead of adding modules etc to the current system, instead to move it over to ubuntu that I am so much more familiar with and supports loads of hardware. Storage space is not an issue as the box has a 40GB hdd so I am not sure why a stripped down version would be needed in this scenario instead of dedication to its planned task.

I am thinking of making a test system out of some spare hardware I have, put ubuntu onto it and transfer as much stuff from the other system as possible.
Can anyone point me in the right direction on what should be installed from scratch and what can be moved from the old system? I obviously want obex to work so I guess I would need to setup a daemon similar to the other system, and I 'd like the webserver to function as well so I can remotely control it without having to write the web interface from scratch. I am pretty sure that it's not apache but this w3browse thingy has confused me a bit about how it works and how the html files are generated.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.