PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 party

stuart.reinke
October 20th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Has anyone here been invited to a Windows 7 release party?

Are you going?

Are you taking Ubuntu/Linux along?
If so, will you take it out or leave it unbooted.

It would be kind of funny for a Windows party to turn into an Ubuntu party. :)

It would not be funny for a Windows party to turn into a lynch the Ubuntu dude party.:(

Any thoughts?

filifunk
October 20th, 2009, 02:36 AM
It would be kind of funny for a Windows party to turn into an Ubuntu party. :smile:

It would not be funny for a Windows party to turn into a lynch the Ubuntu dude party.:sad:

hahahahahahahahahahah

AllRadioisDead
October 20th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Anyone want to join the UPCS?
Ubuntu party crashing squad?

stuart.reinke
October 20th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Anyone want to join the UPCS?
Ubuntu party crashing squad?

Na, let them have their parties.

We get ours in 10 days and since our OS is free that leaves more money for beer!:)

Guess who will have the better party:popcorn:

Dullstar
October 20th, 2009, 03:07 AM
If my team for making a Linux distro meets soon, I will make some arrangments for a launch party (Ubuntu is one of our two considerations for the base distro, plus the two of us who've used Linux before have both used Ubuntu, however, Gentoo is also on our list of considerations, and in a recent thread, I worked out what our lightweight version will use as a base).

pwnst*r
October 20th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Any thoughts?

yes.

worst thread in a month. congratulations.

Rainstride
October 20th, 2009, 05:00 AM
yes.

I bet I can find a couple just as bad.:)

schauerlich
October 20th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I bet I can find a couple just as bad.:)

And I can probably guess who the OP is.

pwnst*r
October 20th, 2009, 05:18 AM
depends which account he posts under.

j7%<RmUg
October 20th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Iv watched the vids on youtube, the win7 parties are an absolute joke to be honest, any good OS doesnt need a promo party to be popular, its popular because its a good OS.

So, by win7 having promo parties, MS are just over advertising it in the hopes that people will actually use it without complaining.

Its a shame that all of us here know its a vista clone when most end users wont.

hoppipolla
October 20th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Wait wait wait, this implies that people are actually going to take Microsoft's advice and throw parties for the Windows 7 release? Is anyone ACTUALLY going to do this? o.O

j7%<RmUg
October 20th, 2009, 06:04 AM
A guy in my street is, i havent been able to convince him that he will probably get mobbed by a horde of linux users and maybe a bunch of mac guys too.

hoppipolla
October 20th, 2009, 06:17 AM
A guy in my street is, i havent been able to convince him that he will probably get mobbed by a horde of linux users and maybe a bunch of mac guys too.

or just scare away ALL his friends! lol

stuart.reinke
October 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM
yes.

Can't be that bad. You took the time to reply. :)

markus1982
October 20th, 2009, 12:06 PM
nerd party! would be wicked to go

linux-hack
October 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM
rely guis why go to a Windows party ? Windows is SH*** ... I don't eaven know why you bring this up in a linux forum ....

Bungo Pony
October 20th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Here's where you can find a Windows 7 party in your area:

http://houseparty.com/windows7

I can't find one in my area because the site setup is really retarded.

koshatnik
October 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I'm still bemused how its possible to have a party over the release of an OS. Any OS. In my mind, this party would involved lots of nerdy blokes timing how long it takes on the new OS to open a window, and then discussing which of the Star Trek series was the "most profound".

The parties I like to go to do not involve any of the above.

Ravernomina
October 20th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Im going to one it pittsburgh.... Im planing to take my MacBook Pro Running Karmic Koala and giving away freee ubuntu CD's... Ahhhh Embarasing M$ can make your day feel so great.

Ill Also Be Waring My Karmic T Shirt with my ubuntu messenger bag xD.

:lolflag:

dsavi
October 20th, 2009, 01:41 PM
They don't have any parties in Finland. I think they're still angry at it for starting Linux.

kavon89
October 20th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I'm going to one my friend got, however it's turning into a LAN gaming thing after I borrow his CD to install it.

bruno9779
October 20th, 2009, 01:50 PM
They must be desperate. Vista has been such a flop, and M$ doesn't have extra income like Apple (eg: i-pod).

pwnst*r
October 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM
ubuntu users have release parties, so it's comical to see the backlash in this thread toward microsoft.

forrestcupp
October 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Iv watched the vids on youtube, the win7 parties are an absolute joke to be honest, any good OS doesnt need a promo party to be popular, its popular because its a good OS.

So, by win7 having promo parties, MS are just over advertising it in the hopes that people will actually use it without complaining.

Its a shame that all of us here know its a vista clone when most end users wont.

Actually, Microsoft is majorly scaling back their promotional ads for the launch of Win7, unlike previous versions. I think they're only having one official party. They're not having a bunch of extravagant commercials; the only thing they're doing is encouraging people to have these parties.

They want to keep it more low key this time. They learned their lesson last time when they majorly hyped Vista, then got blasted in the reviews. I don't blame them.

RiceMonster
October 20th, 2009, 03:22 PM
They must be desperate. Vista has been such a flop, and MS doesn't have extra income like Apple (eg: i-pod).

I always laugh at posts like this. Do you honestly think Microsoft is going to go under? Look out Microsoft! Desktop Linux is coming with it's 1% market share!

Also, if you think Microsoft's only income is Windows, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Skripka
October 20th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I always laugh at posts like this. Do you honestly think Microsoft is going to go under? Look out Microsoft! Desktop Linux is coming with it's 1% market share!

Also, if you think Microsoft's only income is Windows, you have no idea what you're talking about.

What I don't get, is people are making such a big deal about this "party" program...and NO noise at all about the discount pricing for students. Granted prior I could get 1 Win OEM license disc through my Uni for $20. But that is only one disc/code.

forrestcupp
October 20th, 2009, 07:55 PM
What I don't get, is people are making such a big deal about this "party" program...and NO noise at all about the discount pricing for students. Granted prior I could get 1 Win OEM license disc through my Uni for $20. But that is only one disc/code.

We got lucky. My wife just got MSDN access last week, and she was able to get Ultimate with it.

CharlesA
October 20th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Friend of mine is hosting a W7 launch party and I'd go if I could, but since he is on the other side of the country...

Free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate is a plus I suppose..

hoppipolla
October 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
ubuntu users have release parties, so it's comical to see the backlash in this thread toward microsoft.

no no but see I think it's sad for ANY os lol

I dunno, I mean maybe for MAJOR free software releases (as then it's not just sucking up to a company it actually has some significance lol), or maybe something totally awesome like Project Natal... heh :)

For the most part though I mean it's just an OS release, the idea of a party seems a bit silly!

JoshuaRL
October 20th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Friend of mine is hosting a W7 launch party and I'd go if I could, but since he is on the other side of the country...

Free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate is a plus I suppose..

Do you really get a free copy? I wasn't aware of that. Might make it worthwhile.

But it would be funny to install alongside a bunch of other people, then take out my Jaunty LiveCD to reinstall GrUB. That also might be worth the price of admission.

CharlesA
October 20th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Do you really get a free copy? I wasn't aware of that. Might make it worthwhile.

But it would be funny to install alongside a bunch of other people, then take out my Jaunty LiveCD to reinstall GrUB. That also might be worth the price of admission.

The host of the party does at least. :-P

hoppipolla
October 20th, 2009, 08:41 PM

ok yeah that would be cool, lol :)

subdivision
October 20th, 2009, 08:42 PM
yes.

This. Seriously.

stevetronic
October 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
It's one of the weirdest pieces of OS advertising I've seen in years. I'm going to be scouring youtube tonight for clips of people's genuine parties.

I work on the Funny or Die website in the UK thought this might be a more realistic advert:

http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/ef83afc272/hosting-your-windows-7-torrenting-party

(By the way - I know this is a shameless self promotion of my own material - but what the hey?)

blur xc
November 3rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
http://houseparty.com/party_talk/posts/3331

What kind of bizarro world is this? Reading those comments makes me fee like I'm in a bad twilight zone episode. Do people really get that excited about handing over a few hundred bucks for an operating system? Are there that many lifeless losers in this world? What's the incentive to be an impromptu Microsoft salesman? Do you get kickbacks or commission for hosting a launch party? I just don't get it...

With Ubuntu, I'm getting a great FREE product (libre and beer). I get lots of FREE (beer) help on the forums. Therefore, I feel as though I owe something, and I try to answer posts to help others when I can. It's pretty much the only way I can give back. If I pay for something, especially something expensive and with their binding EULA, what's my motivation to give back? I feel like I've already been bent over and reamed w/ a broomstick for buying it in the first place...

BM

pwnst*r
November 3rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
http://houseparty.com/party_talk/posts/3331

What kind of bizarro world is this? Reading those comments makes me fee like I'm in a bad twilight zone episode. Do people really get that excited about handing over a few hundred bucks for an operating system? Are there that many lifeless losers in this world? What's the incentive to be an impromptu Microsoft salesman? Do you get kickbacks or commission for hosting a launch party? I just don't get it...

With Ubuntu, I'm getting a great FREE product (libre and beer). I get lots of FREE (beer) help on the forums. Therefore, I feel as though I owe something, and I try to answer posts to help others when I can. It's pretty much the only way I can give back. If I pay for something, especially something expensive and with their binding EULA, what's my motivation to give back? I feel like I've already been bent over and reamed w/ a broomstick for buying it in the first place...

BM

linux "losers" had parties too.