PDA

View Full Version : Colbert Nation has UnAmerican Ad.

murderslastcrow
October 20th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Attached. Let's forget for a moment that this ad looks really crappy. First of all, you can't click on it. It's just THERE. And it says Microsoft.

Has Microsoft bought out the only truly American institution we have left, Colbert Nation!?

Your thoughts.

cybergalvez
October 20th, 2009, 02:11 AM
whats unamerican about making a buck? now don't get me wrong I hate MS as much as the next penguine in this forum, but if your talking about american institutions, making a fast buck is about as american as apple pie

tad1073
October 20th, 2009, 02:19 AM
we should be more worried about the insurance companies making a fast buck while ruining the lives of Americans or our governments blatant disregard for what the American public really wants/needs than Microsoft making money on something as menial as a computer operating system.

Dullstar
October 20th, 2009, 02:22 AM
What's so unamerican about that? I don't get it.
Although, Microsoft really sucks, I do agree with that.

Mike'sHardLinux
October 20th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Besides, what is soooo bad about being unamerican that is is practically used as an insult? A considerable percentage of users on this wonderful forum are unamerican. :-)

Nationalism has always bothered me; even when I was a child.

CharmyBee
October 20th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Looks American to me. Microsoft is based in Washington after all. I can't see what's wrong with this picture, though satirically is another matter.

murderslastcrow
October 20th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Lol. I'm not being SERIOUS. Just poking fun at both Microsoft AND America (notice my saying that Colbert Nation is our last truly American Institution). :P I know there are more serious things to worry about.

Still, why have an ad with no link and without anything but the company's name? Is it because it wouldn't blend with the site? Or is Microsoft just low on the advertising budget? Hrm.

Frak
October 20th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I don't see what's such a big deal. Microsoft bought ad space. If you're saying Micrsoft is un-American, well, they make money. Don't see what's so bad about that.

SomeGuyDude
October 20th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Microsoft: big fat corporation making billions in occasional violation of anti-monopoly laws. What ISN'T American about that?

Frak
October 20th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Microsoft: big fat corporation making billions in occasional violation of anti-monopoly laws. What ISN'T American about that?
I've seen worse. They could have been walmart; be a monopoly, but not touched by the government.

wilee-nilee
October 20th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Attached. Let's forget for a moment that this ad looks really crappy. First of all, you can't click on it. It's just THERE. And it says Microsoft.

Has Microsoft bought out the only truly American institution we have left, Colbert Nation!?

Your thoughts.

Nice photoshop. While all of you were maligning MS I went to the Colbert Nation site I see nothing resembling the OP jpg.

murderslastcrow
October 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I promise I did not Photoshop that (I would've done a better job). That's what was with my confusion- they have different ads up on there all day, circulating.

But yeah, for Microsoft's defense, they aren't secretive about their shady tactics when it comes to the software itself. They state clearly in their agreements what you're complying to, and that you can disagree, so legally we have very little to pick on them for.

The reason I think they are unAmerican is because they flee from responsibility, they try to force people to use their product (monopolistic, but hey, that's just American business at work), and oh, let's not forget that they're convicted criminals.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10308013-75.html?tag=forums06;posts

Not to say that's the first illegal thing they've done, but one of the first blatant ones they've been caught for.

I dunno' about you guys, but I'd rather not see advertisements for products from such a corrupt company branded shamelessly on my favorite things (The Colbert Report), going further to show that it would be shameful for me to have Photoshopped something like that.

RiceMonster
October 20th, 2009, 06:28 PM
BREAKING NEWS! a corporation pays to put ads for itself on a website.

Story at 11.

CharmyBee
October 20th, 2009, 06:41 PM
So this thread exists to push the usual anti-Microsoft political agenda?

The joke's on you. The Colbert site had ads for bears too and we know he hates bears.

LowSky
October 20th, 2009, 07:06 PM
The reason I think they are unAmerican is because they flee from responsibility, they try to force people to use their product (monopolistic, but hey, that's just American business at work), and oh, let's not forget that they're convicted criminals.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10308013-75.html?tag=forums06;posts

A corporation cannot be a criminal. The people running can be, lets be clear on that. Your link isn't a criminal case its a civil case. No one will be going to jail or pay fines to the government. Instead they are found guilty of patent infringement and ordered to pay an amount to the other company.

murderslastcrow
October 20th, 2009, 09:17 PM
True. Well, I didn't really intend for this to be taken seriously or turn into an Microsoft hate rant. I just thought it was odd and somewhat amusing. :P Whatevz.

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Microsoft IS the American dream. Domination through capitalism. *cough* I mean starting small and attaining your dreams...yeah that's what I meant.

Tristam Green
October 20th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Short answer:

Baawwwwwwwwwww

LowSky
October 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Threat #1 : BEARS

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Medved_mzoo.jpg

zekopeko
October 20th, 2009, 09:46 PM
A corporation cannot be a criminal. The people running can be, lets be clear on that. Your link isn't a criminal case its a civil case. No one will be going to jail or pay fines to the government. Instead they are found guilty of patent infringement and ordered to pay an amount to the other company.

The notion that corporations can't be held to criminal charges is being abandoned (in Europe at least).

The reasoning is that corporation employees have more loyalty to the corporation and they tend to bend or brake laws to make the corporation more profitable so to dissuade this practice lawmakers are starting to punish corporations for the behavior of their employees.

This shifts responsibility to the corporation to make sure they are playing by the book since they can't just dump the employees and keep the resulting profits/better market position.

Giant Speck
October 20th, 2009, 09:49 PM
threat #1 : bears

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/medved_mzoo.jpg

Damn those soulless killing machines!