PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] I want My Icons!

pbhill
October 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM
While trying to remove an unwanted icon from my top panel, I accidentally remove a whole string of them! (Bluetooth, Frostwire, Banshee, and more)
I can put launchers back easily enough, but the other icons had more elaborate functions. The programs now run in the background, but it's difficult to access them. How can I return these missing icons?

martrn
October 20th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Can you right click on the panel. Eg for the top panel right-click on the panel and then select the item to add to the panel. It should be really intuitive. You can add the items to the panels at different places, or put them back in the same place you took them from. Right-click on the panel and click help for help about using the panels.

This presumes you are using gnome.

Hope that helps.

mobilediesel
October 20th, 2009, 04:46 AM
It sounds like you removed the System Tray. You should just be able to right-click the panel and add the System Tray back to the panel.

pbhill
October 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
It sounds like you removed the System Tray. You should just be able to right-click the panel and add the System Tray back to the panel.

Thanks for the Help! While there isn't a System Tray option, I did add "Notification Area" and got my icons back.:)

mobilediesel
October 20th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the Help! While there isn't a System Tray option, I did add "Notification Area" and got my icons back.:)

Yeah, I forgot that gnome calls it notification area, I'm using Xfce which calls it system tray.

Glad it works now! I had the whole panel disappear once after an update and it took me an hour to find out I could hit ALT-F2 and run xfce4-panel.