PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't get 1280x1024 resolution - Help Please!

wbm
October 19th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Hello,
I have read through multiple threads here about getting my screen resolution set up correctly and so far nothing has worked.
Could someone please walk me step by step through getting my screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 on Ubuntu 9.04.

The screen resolution is supported, as it does show up as a choice and works from several live disks like e.g. Haiku and Suse etc.

Under Display Preferences in Ubuntu I only have the following choices:
Detect Monitor: Unknown (several other Distributions correctly identify my Sony monitor)
Resolution: 640 x 480; 800 x 600; 1024 x 768 and 1360 x 768

My attempts to fix it from Terminal using several threads here have failed unfortunately.
Please help, thanks!
I am now using 1024 x 768 and would like 1280 x 1024.

stlsaint
October 20th, 2009, 03:09 AM
i willl be finding answer for you once i get to my box!! :)

mini bump!

mikewhatever
October 20th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Are you using SUSE, Haiku or Ubuntu? If the resolution is supported and shows as a choice, what happens when you choose it? Why don't you post some info about the hardware and the output of xrandr -q.

i willl be finding answer for you once i get to my box!! :)

mini bump!

:)

stlsaint
October 20th, 2009, 05:40 AM
mabye this can help. Please see here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=454217)!

wbm
October 21st, 2009, 04:51 PM
Hello everyone. Thank you for the offer to help. I was not at my machine yesterday and could not get back to any of you.
I would need some step by step please. E.g. if you need to know the hardware, what do you need me to do please.
Thanks

stlsaint
October 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM
were you able to take a look at my link above? still need assistance than the best way would be to join an irc room for real time help. you can join #ubuntu or #ubuntu-beginners-help

wbm
October 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM
were you able to take a look at my link above? still need assistance than the best way would be to join an irc room for real time help. you can join #ubuntu or #ubuntu-beginners-help
I'll give that another try. I think I saw that post and went through those steps a few weeks ago - unsuccessfully.
It may be just easier to wait for the 9.10 update and see if that fixes it by itself.