PDA

View Full Version : has anyone seen this?

nathang1392
October 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
if everyone has, please disregard:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/19/windows_dell_linux_refund/

Ms_Angel_D
October 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM
How do you power on a system to put the cd in without booting to windows, I mean you would have to be really fast to be the boot screen.

earthpigg
October 19th, 2009, 10:28 PM
How do you power on a system to put the cd in without booting to windows, I mean you would have to be really fast to be the boot screen.

disconnect hard drive, turn on computer, insert cd.

or: with computer powered off, use the little paperclip hole to eject optical drive, insert cd.

or: as soon as it turns on, press delete or whatever to enter setup and stop booting. with power on, insert cd. change boot priority, exit and save the bios setup.

Joeb454
October 19th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Go into the BIOS to change the default boot option, while doing so, insert CD :)

OpenGuard
October 19th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Old news ( seen on Linux Mint forum ).

Ms_Angel_D
October 19th, 2009, 10:47 PM
disconnect hard drive, turn on computer, insert cd.

or: with computer powered off, use the little paperclip hole to eject optical drive, insert cd.

or: as soon as it turns on, press delete or whatever to enter setup and stop booting. with power on, insert cd. change boot priority, exit and save the bios setup.

Go into the BIOS to change the default boot option, while doing so, insert CD :)

Oh I see thanks for the info.

Genius314
October 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I can usually get a CD in before my computer has a chance to boot. Depends on the motherboard and its BIOS, though... mine is pretty slow, for some reason.

That's a pretty cool article, by the way. I haven't seen it before.
I guess that clause is probably the only good part of Microsoft's EULA. :P

murderslastcrow
October 20th, 2009, 12:38 AM
It'd be nice if every DELL computer had the Linux option someday. :3 Then this story wouldn't have happened. XD

kpholmes
October 20th, 2009, 12:43 AM
if you have ever seen the movie "revolution OS" (which is about free software and linux) they have a part in it when a bunch of linux users in 1999 went to Microsoft's head offices in washington and protested and demanded a refund. its a good clip and i recommend the movie to people who want to learn the origins of GNU/Linux.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308808/