PDA

View Full Version : How do they count Linux install base?

blur xc
October 19th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I randomly ran across this old propaganda article- http://www.applematters.com/article/apple-is-killing-linux-on-the-desktop/

The article is what it is, but reading the comments at the bottom had me wondering- when you buy a pc, you almost always get a windows os, which they can count to their market sales, and when you buy a mac, again, you can count again how many they've sold. But, when you download an iso, or a torrent of some Linux flavor, how do they now how many there are? And again, how do you know how many are in use? So, where do they get these statistics from?

For example, I have a friend w/ an old PC, that when purchased added one more sale to the MS XP statistic. Later he got a mac laptop, which added another to the Apple numbers... A while after that, I told him about Ubuntu, which he loaded on his old ailing pc, and uses it almost exclusively, and plans to give his laptop to his mom. So, he's added numbers to the Mac and MS market share statistics, but is a Linux user, so how is he counted?

BM

koenn
October 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM
you can't really trust those numbers, and it's hard to count Linux users, for the exact same reasons you mention.

Most distro's make some sort of educated guess, eg by unique IP addresses connecting to their repo's