PDA

View Full Version : Free Windows 7 plus $100 in cash. Would you go for it.

emigrant
October 19th, 2009, 05:33 PM
If Microsoft announces that would you go for it; abondoning linux?
Why?

hoppipolla
October 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Not if I had to ditch Linux!

But if I could dual boot then yeah I'd take it mainly for the $100 :)

NCLI
October 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Uh, why shouldn't we? I mean, the Win7 copy can be sold on the net, and one can always use money.

EDIT: Oh, we'd have to abandon Linux? No way, it won't profit me in the long run. The 100 USD wouldn't even be enough to pay for Windows 8.

Foster Grant
October 19th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Why?

No. At this point, any version of Windows seems like too much of a resource- and time-hog.

Bachstelze
October 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Nope. I'd rather buy my win7 and keep using Linux as well. I need both.

starcannon
October 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Why?
No, I would not do an "either or" swap, not even for 1 large. I have an entire family that has computers. I would have to change out all those, support them, and fight viri on them.

However, if I could run my copy of Seven in a Virtual Machine, or on a separate partition; sure I'd be happy to take an offer like that; hell, I'd even spend the $1k to add Seven to VM's on the rest of my families computers. Not sure if they'd ever boot it or not, but if they needed to, it'd be there.

aysiu
October 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I don't understand. How would taking a bribe to use Windows 7 mean you would have to abandon Linux?

RiceMonster
October 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Nope. I'd rather buy my win7 and keep using Linux as well. I need both.

Same for me.

Bachstelze
October 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I don't understand. How would taking a bribe to use Windows 7 mean you would have to abandon Linux?

I think this is purely hypothetical. Of course it wouldn't happen in reality.

aysiu
October 19th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I think this is purely hypothetical. Of course it wouldn't happen in reality.
But even hypothetical scenarios have to be somewhat realistic. There is no way for them to enforce your not using Linux.

hoppipolla
October 19th, 2009, 06:17 PM
No, I would not do an "either or" swap, not even for 1 large. I have an entire family that has computers. I would have to change out all those, support them, and fight viri on them.

However, if I could run my copy of Seven in a Virtual Machine, or on a separate partition; sure I'd be happy to take an offer like that; hell, I'd even spend the $1k to add Seven to VM's on the rest of my families computers. Not sure if they'd ever boot it or not, but if they needed to, it'd be there.

he said a hundred not a grand! Sounds even less appealing now doesn't it? xD

hoppipolla
October 19th, 2009, 06:19 PM
But even hypothetical scenarios have to be somewhat realistic. There is no way for them to enforce your not using Linux.

It's just interesting to see what people would do I think :)

sloggerkhan
October 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Why?

I'd take it, keep the cash, toss the MS OS in the trash.

Icehuck
October 19th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Yep, I would take the $100 and toss linux to the side. I probably would do it for $20.

starcannon
October 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Yep, I would take the $100 and toss linux to the side. I probably would do it for $20.
Dude! You could have bought a Dell.

Exodist
October 19th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Why?

Hell no.. I hate M$. Doing so would be a sin IMHO.

aysiu
It's just interesting to see what people would do I think :)
I guess hypothetically, then, I'd abandon Linux and also keep using it.

Icehuck
Dude! You could have bought a Dell.

I did buy a dell. OMG! You're in my head! :P

emigrant
October 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Actually i thought to have some fun with MS people. Probably they would have to make such kinda offer in the future to keep their name in the market.
Is my quiz as silly as MS OS?
;)

NCLI
October 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Characterized by, or of the nature of, an hypothesis; conditional; assumed without proof, for the purpose of reasoning and deducing proof, or of accounting for some fact or phenomenon. [1913 Webster] Causes hypothetical at least, if not real, for the various phenomena of the existence of which our experience informs us. --Sir W. Hamilton. [1913 Webster]
In other words, it doesn't have to be realistic. Let's stick to the script ;)

e-Gee
October 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM
$100 is not enough !!!

jeremyswalker
October 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Well, if taking the $100 means I have to quit using Linux, then I would never take such a deal. In all honesty, you would have to offer me quite a large sum of money to ditch Linux. However, if you don't have to ditch it, then who wouldn't take a free $100? Plus, you get a free coaster out of the deal!

aysiu
October 19th, 2009, 06:43 PM
In other words, it doesn't have to be realistic. Let's stick to the script ;)
Actually, they do have to be realistic, just not real. Re-read what you quoted.

hoppipolla
October 19th, 2009, 06:46 PM

seriously? o.O What's so wrong with Linux?

hoppipolla
October 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I guess hypothetically, then, I'd abandon Linux and also keep using it.

Come now aysiu this really isn't that difficult to grasp as a concept! lol

Let's say... I don't know... it's in some futuristic dystopia where we are only allowed to use one OS on pain of death (as detected by chips inserted in our brains O.O )

Man am I glad I live in 2009! hehe

amingv
October 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Why?

I'd do it.

I'd be totally willing to ditch Linux from that old PIII I never use (and which doesn't even come near $50 now), and since its always a one license deal, it would actually be illegal for me to install it on my main PC, thus I'd be morally and legally obligated to keep Linux on that one.
This may be the one chance I have to make $100 out of that machine, not doing it would be a dumb move from me.

henkgeb
October 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
well, I should try it, but I'll still use linux. In a dual boot.

-=hazard=-
October 19th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Lot of fantasy you got there :D

JillSwift
October 19th, 2009, 07:10 PM
"J00 kan haz mai Linux diztroh wen j00 pry it frum mai cold, ded, fingrz!"

(That might make a good bumper sticker.)

Niels_
October 19th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Ok, i've got to admit, I love windows 7, and just a moment I thought like, let's just go for windows 7. After like one week only 7, I plotted the ubuntu dvd back into the tray O:)

todd1049
October 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I just have to ask -- does anyone know how Microsoft arrived at this release being Windows 7? They released Windows 3.0 in 1990. Since then, they have put out Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, XP, Vista, various iterations of NT, and now the newest release. By my count, they should be at least at Windows 10 or 11 by now. What versions did they choose not to count?

And to answer the original post, I am not sure I would take Win7 even with the hundred bucks. I now have Vista and Ubuntu set up as dual-boot, and my hunch is that installing 7 would mess everything up. So even the cash probably wouldn't be worth it.

-=hazard=-
October 19th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I just have to ask -- does anyone know how Microsoft arrived at this release being Windows 7? They released Windows 3.0 in 1990. Since then, they have put out Windows 95, 98, 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, XP, Vista, various iterations of NT, and now the newest release. By my count, they should be at least at Windows 10 or 11 by now. What versions did they choose not to count?

Because windows is commercial is obvious that they make lot of releases in a short period of time, this is why bill is billionaire. And yes I agree with you, they must be at version 10 right now.

JDShu
October 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM

And to answer the original post, I am not sure I would take Win7 even with the hundred bucks. I now have Vista and Ubuntu set up as dual-boot, and my hunch is that installing 7 would mess everything up. So even the cash probably wouldn't be worth it.

Hmmm, wasn't windows 2000 more for servers so maybe it doesn't count? I was too young then, but I think I was using windows 98 for a very long time before jumping to XP.

dragos240
October 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I couldn't abandon Linux. No. Never. I would get the windows 7 along with the $100 and give the win 7 to my friend. And keep the money.

Cuddles McKitten
October 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM

Because once they get to ten (Microsoft Windows X) they have to steal an old BSD kernel and dump their own, extraneous software on top. That's the rule. They wanted to have a few more releases before doing that.

hyperAura
October 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM
i wouldn't do it.. i think $100 is a rly small amount when it comes to such a dilemma.. :)

Hyporeal
October 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM

Perhaps Wikipedia's timeline of Windows releases (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows#Timeline_of_releases) can explain some of that. It doesn't make complete sense, since Windows 7 is version 6.1, but it explains why they're not up to ten yet.

ZankerH
October 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM

That 100$ wouldn't even cover the next time you are forced into upgrading to another proprietary OS, which you eventually will be if you restrict yourself from not using GNU/Linux. And that's not even accounting for the crazy USD inflation rates.

hoppipolla
October 19th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Ok, i've got to admit, I love windows 7, and just a moment I thought like, let's just go for windows 7. After like one week only 7, I plotted the ubuntu dvd back into the tray O:)

Thing is, if it was just vanilla Ubuntu (that almost sounds tasty xD), I would be... at least CLOSER to ditching it. What keeps me on Linux aside from the open source software model and community, is the choice and flexibility I have in my OS, and the fantastic and exciting nature of software like KDE 4 and everything that comes with it! It's just too powerful to give up! hehe :)

Because once they get to ten (Microsoft Windows X) they have to steal an old BSD kernel and dump their own, extraneous software on top. That's the rule. They wanted to have a few more releases before doing that.

lol that really made me laugh xD

Penguin Guy
October 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM
No way, it won't profit me in the long run. The 100 USD wouldn't even be enough to pay for Windows 8.
You're right - good point.

kirsis
October 19th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Perhaps Wikipedia's timeline of Windows releases (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows#Timeline_of_releases) can explain some of that. It doesn't make complete sense, since Windows 7 is version 6.1, but it explains why they're not up to ten yet.

The reason why Win7 version number is 6.1 and not 7.0 is because changing the major version would break a lot of badly coded apps, actually.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/10/14/why-7.aspx

We also had the lesson reinforced when we applied the version number in the Windows Vista code as Windows 6.0-- that changing basic version numbers can cause application compatibility issues.

So we decided to ship the Windows 7 code as Windows 6.1 - which is what you will see in the actual version of the product in cmd.exe or computer properties.

I first read about it in a more in-depth article that elaborated how and why the apps are depending on the number. It was a quite interesting read. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to look for it anymore.

Icehuck
October 19th, 2009, 08:29 PM
seriously? o.O What's so wrong with Linux?

It's a computer system and nothing more then that. In the long run it doesn't benefit my life in any way. If I really wanted my Unix fix I could just use OSX and all my stuff would work. The way I see it is, I have $100 to spend on whatever I want, what do you have? Linux? Software Freedom? Meh, not important nor really life changing.

hoppipolla
October 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM
It's a computer system and nothing more then that. In the long run it doesn't benefit my life in any way. If I really wanted my Unix fix I could just use OSX and all my stuff would work. The way I see it is, I have $100 to spend on whatever I want, what do you have? Linux? Software Freedom? Meh, not important nor really life changing.

Yeah but... assuming the OP is referring to Linux in the "GNU/Linux" sense, I would lose KDE, Ubuntu, a lot of my favourite programs and projects, the community, the flexibility of the OS... man serious, I could NOT be on OSX! lol

Icehuck
October 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Yeah but... assuming the OP is referring to Linux in the "GNU/Linux" sense, I would lose KDE, Ubuntu, a lot of my favourite programs and projects, the community, the flexibility of the OS... man serious, I could NOT be on OSX! lol

Oh, so kinda like the things Window's users experience when coming to Linux? Yet, when they complain about it "the community" tells them, go away, or "You don't need that!"

Skwerly
October 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM
No way. Not a chance. The thought of even seeing a license agreement, or having something stall on me at a critical point in the program makes me physically ill.

No. In fact, I would PAY $100.00 to keep my Linux and NOT have to use Windows 7. :)

hoppipolla
October 19th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Oh, so kinda like the things Window's users experience when coming to Linux? Yet, when they complain about it "the community" tells them, go away, or "You don't need that!"

You mean things that Windows has that Linux-based OSs don't? Well yeah I mean there are those too, but the advantages of Linux are more important to me personally :)

No. In fact, I would PAY $100.00 to keep my Linux and NOT have to use Windows 7. :)

Ditto :) There are just too many things I value Linux for to ditch it!

Frak
October 19th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Same.

Windows does everything I need, and the apps on Windows seem to out their Linux counterpart...

Hell yeah I'm tossing Linux to the side. Free money and a free OS that usually costs a couple hundred.

benj1
October 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM
hmm $100 to give up linux.

i guess everybody missed the fact that this would mean giving up your routers, android phones, set top boxes etc etc etc. would we even be allowed to connect to those linux servers on the internet ?

JDShu
October 19th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Same.

Windows does everything I need, and the apps on Windows seem to out their Linux counterpart...

Hell yeah I'm tossing Linux to the side. Free money and a free OS that usually costs a couple hundred.

Call me slow, but I'm starting to notice a trend here...

TheNosh
October 19th, 2009, 09:42 PM
would BSD be allowed?

Icehuck
Call me slow, but I'm starting to notice a trend here...

The trend where people realize an operating system on their computer doesn't effect their quality of life one bit? Whereas $100 can make it easier to pay bills, feed the kids, or contribute to that vacation you've been dreaming about for years?

would BSD be allowed?

BSD is not linux in any form what so ever. Why wouldn't it be allowed ?

donkyhotay
I'd take a copy of windows7 if someone gave me $100 to do so... of course I'd just pocket the $100 and immediately throw away (or sell) the windows 7 discs without installing it. Now if I couldn't do that, like they had to install it for me, I might still do it but I would reinstall Ubuntu as soon as I got back home.

hoppipolla
October 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Same.

Ok, ruling out the fact that according to this agreement you would still have to pay for all FUTURE versions (and extra copies!) of Windows, what about all the great advantages you get running lin? The security, stability, choice, flexibility and all that junk that I say over and over lol - isnt that stuff cool to have? Windows is very stubborn and also kinda dull ._. I mean each to their own and its your choice, but "Linux" is a lot to be without!

tcoffeep
October 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I'd give up linux just for a free copy of the retail version of Windows 7. Screw $100. I'm saving more than that with a free copy :)

TheNosh
October 19th, 2009, 09:51 PM
BSD is not linux in any form what so ever. Why wouldn't it be allowed ?

cause far too often when people mean the open source world as a whole they instead just say "linux" someone earlier mentioned losing KDE in this deal, KDE is also not linux.

earthpigg
take the win7 box and the $100, use the install cd as a coaster or cut it up for use as a ninja star, recycle the box, spend $50 of it on beer, and donate the rest of the cash to the Free Software Foundation.

done.

Frak
Ok, ruling out the fact that according to this agreement you would still have to pay for all FUTURE versions (and extra copies!) of Windows, what about all the great advantages you get running lin? The security, stability, choice, flexibility and all that junk that I say over and over lol - isnt that stuff cool to have? Windows is very stubborn and also kinda dull ._. I mean each to their own and its your choice, but "Linux" is a lot to be without!

Windows gives me as much choice as Linux does as far as I'm concerned. My Windows boxes are very secure, since I run a tightly knit network of computers and thin clients. And, if anything, I don't pay for Windows now, why should I have to worry about future versions. MSDN will always have my copy ready for installation.

tcoffeep
October 19th, 2009, 09:54 PM
But, Frak... It's not free™.

Icehuck
October 19th, 2009, 09:55 PM
cause far too often when people mean the open source world as a whole they instead just say "linux" someone earlier mentioned losing KDE in this deal, KDE is also not linux.

We just refer to those people as ignorant. I'm only pointing this out since you mentioned KDE not being linux, but KDE does run on Windows.

Frak
October 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
But, Frak... It's not free™.
I have access to the Shared Source. For all I care, it is FreeToMe™.

OpenGuard
October 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Yes, I would.

tcoffeep
October 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I have access to the Shared Source. For all I care, it is FreeToMe™.

:O i'm telling rms on you

Frak
October 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM
:O i'm telling rms on you
:O OH NOEZ! He'll flick a toe jelly... thing at me.

tcoffeep
October 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM
:O OH NOEZ! He'll flick a toe jelly... thing at me.

I just finished eating, dude. Masala doesn't come up as tasty as it goes down.

Icehuck
October 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I just finished eating, dude. Masala doesn't come up as tasty as it goes down.

Never had it, but for some reason I might be reluctant to try it now.

TheNosh
October 19th, 2009, 10:12 PM
We just refer to those people as ignorant. I'm only pointing this out since you mentioned KDE not being linux, but KDE does run on Windows.

the KDE windows thing seems pretty cool. (just googled it)

and for a hundred dollars and free Win 7 i'd probably ditch linux as long as BSD were still an option. that depends largely on how much i like Arch when i finally get around to switching. (i keep putting that off due to school stuff.)

speedwell68
October 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM

There is no such word as 'Viri'. It is viruses.

tcoffeep
October 19th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Never had it, but for some reason I might be reluctant to try it now.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BhYuIeCi2EU/SGPqnaCMdyI/AAAAAAAAAFM/fype85pMAmc/s400/Masala_rice.jpg

plus some red lentils. It's really good. Just not when someone mentions toe-jam flinging...

diesch
October 19th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Why?

That would be a bad deal. Just getting the software and the knowledge to work with Windows7 as productive as I'm working on Linux now would cost me much more than $100.

misfitpierce
October 19th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I would, then I would sell the windows 7 or ditch it and keep the $100.

user11
October 19th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Here's someone that would for sure, http://www1.cuny.edu/forum/?p=3567

Frak
October 19th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Why?

I would, then I would sell the windows 7 or ditch it and keep the $100.

So, you would use BSD?

Linux000
October 19th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Counteroffer

$100 dollars, and the ability to make Microsoft give out Ubuntu (untouched by them) for free, sure, I'll even upgrade to the next version(which would be Ubuntu)

tcoffeep
October 19th, 2009, 11:25 PM
So, you would use BSD?

shush, this person's looking edgy and rebellious because he doesn't read. jeez you know how to ruin things

Keyper7
October 20th, 2009, 12:04 AM
The trend where people realize an operating system on their computer doesn't effect their quality of life one bit? Whereas $100 can make it easier to pay bills, feed the kids, or contribute to that vacation you've been dreaming about for years?

"Doesn't affect their quality of life" is largely relative.

Let's suppose the OP is talking about using Windows for the rest of the life.

Now replace his proposal with: for $100, you will replace all your meals with a certain substance. This substance contains everything you need: vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates, whatever... it's everything you need for survival. However, it tastes like ****. Okay, maybe not ****, maybe you can get used to it, but it's definitely not tasty.

Eating this thing for one day? Easy? For one week? Not very hard. For a month? Hmm... maybe. For the rest of the life? $100 doesn't sound that much in this case.

My point: yes, I could do all my work in Windows. That doesn't mean the choice between Linux and Windows is irrelevant. I don't use Linux because it's free as in beer (my Dell came with Vista and I payed for it). I don't use Linux because it's free as in freedom (I like free software, but I use whatever works best, and sometimes what works best is not free). I use it because I like it. And being prived of something I like is easily worth more than $100 depending on the period.

-=hazard=-
October 20th, 2009, 12:05 AM
take the win7 box and the $100, use the install cd as a coaster or cut it up for use as a ninja star, recycle the box, spend $50 of it on beer, and donate the rest of the cash to the free software foundation.

Done.

+1

Dimitriid
October 20th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I'd take the money and the OS, sell my license and keep using Linux anywa: how are they going to know?

To answer your question: If MS was able to somehow force me to stop using linux in exchange of free os and money I'd do it. My company pays me to use MS and IE everyday, i'd be a hypocrite if I said "No at home my loyalty is firm"

Dharmachakra
October 20th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I'd do it in a heartbeat.

BuffaloX
October 20th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Lets see what that really boils down to:
100$ for using Windows 7.
Probably at least 3 years to windows 8.
That's 33$ a year.
Less than 3$ per month, and
less than 10 cents per day.

I think for a comparable inconvenience, I could easily do better than that.

andras artois
October 20th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I'd take windows. How long do you have to run windows to take the cash?

Ubuntu can't run windows games yet. Once it can, I'll be all over it and don't suggest the games that I have to tweak like mad just to get a game working just about.

And to dual boot, there's no sense in restarting just to play a game or use autocad when both are used regularly.

I prefer so much about ubuntu but at the moment 7 is still the preferabe option.

Rainstride
October 20th, 2009, 01:24 AM
no way in hell would i take that deal. 100 dollars and a shiny GUI is not enough to ever make me give up my freedom to do what I damn well please on linux. also, im not a fan of nsa back doors. and company's having the ability to usurp my firewall and de-activate my programs on a whim.

j.bell730
October 20th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I could do all my work in Windows. That doesn't mean the choice between Linux and Windows is irrelevant. I don't use Linux because it's free as in beer (my Dell came with Vista and I payed for it). I don't use Linux because it's free as in freedom (I like free software, but I use whatever works best, and sometimes what works best is not free). I use it because I like it. And being prived of something I like is easily worth more than $100 depending on the period.

no way in hell would i take that deal. 100 dollars and a shiny GUI is not enough to ever make me give up my freedom to do what I damn well please on linux. also, im not a fan of nsa back doors. and company's having the ability to usurp my firewall and de-activate my programs on a whim.

These two posts are reflective of my opinion, e.g., no I would not take this deal.

K.Mandla
October 20th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Why?
No, because the dollar is weak now. :lol:

miegiel
October 20th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I'm to lazy, make it a million and I'll get off my derierre (pardon my french) and fill in the form.

Dullstar
October 20th, 2009, 02:15 AM
If you didn't have to abandon Linux, I would take it and sell it on ebay.

Giant Speck
October 20th, 2009, 04:10 AM
If I didn't have to abandon Linux, then yes, I would take the deal and I'd use the cash to help pay for a second copy for my other laptop.

I don't really feel that this hypothetical is really that realistic, though.

hoppipolla
October 20th, 2009, 05:56 AM
take the win7 box and the $100, use the install cd as a coaster or cut it up for use as a ninja star, recycle the box, spend $50 of it on beer, and donate the rest of the cash to the Free Software Foundation.

done.

You are now my new god. xD

*shudders*

Frak
October 20th, 2009, 06:00 AM
*shudders*

And it runs well.

hoppipolla
October 20th, 2009, 06:05 AM
And it runs well.

*shudders more*

HappyFeet
October 20th, 2009, 06:08 AM
If you didn't have to abandon Linux, I would take it and sell it on ebay.

Sure, I would do it. Then sell it. But I'd also give them a live cd also.

Frak
October 20th, 2009, 06:09 AM
*shudders more*

I admit it, I laughed.

hoppipolla
October 20th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I admit it, I laughed.

hehe :)

madhi19
October 20th, 2009, 07:18 AM
If I don't get to drop Linux sure I take the cash and use the disk as a drink coaster or something. Am not selling it because as a rule I don't sell mallware and spyware!

tcoffeep
October 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM
It's if you have to drop linux. Not "if you don't have to drop linux, what would you do." Jesus, a lot of you are copping out of giving a good response. Also, to the person who'd cut up the cd and use it for a coaster or w/e... what would you use? BSD? Haiku? Or would you just stop using computers?

RiceMonster
October 20th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Also, to the person who'd cut up the cd and use it for a coaster or w/e... what would you use? BSD? Haiku? Or would you just stop using computers?

They would stick it to the man and use Linux, because then they'd feel EVEN MORE rebellious by using Linux.

hoppipolla
October 20th, 2009, 07:27 PM
They would stick it to the man and use Linux, because then they'd feel EVEN MORE rebellious by using Linux.

lol, I genuinely do feel a LITTLE rebellious by using Linux hehe, I mean amongst other things like my choice of purchases and banks and most things I do, I do try to support the one I think is ethical or sometimes a bit underground. I think it's nice and keeps things feeling alive.

Using Linux does make at least your computer experience a bit more removed from corporations and "free" :)

It sounds silly, but it IS true :)

The Real Dave
October 20th, 2009, 08:34 PM
No. At this point, any version of Windows seems like too much of a resource- and time-hog.

+1

Probably not, if I could never use Linux again. I'm well and truly a Linux user now, as are all my family. Windows XP is only on one of my PCs to play games and use iTunes. Its Ethernet is disabled, because its about as insecure as is possible, it can't get any updates, no support anymore :lolflag:

iKonaK
October 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Free Windows 7 plus $100 in cash. Would you go for it.

Why?
Well there is no legal way, yet, to make me use a os over another.
I would take the Free Windows 7 (assuming cd/dvd) and the 100$ and walk away, still using ONLY free/libre software; it's not like they will search my home or anything and I will have an extra 100$, cool, bring it on...

OmegaAI
October 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I already got 3 keys so why would I care? Oh, and they are legit.

tom66
October 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I'd take the $100 bride, but I wouldn't use Win 7.

Frak
October 20th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I'd take the $100 bride, but I wouldn't use Win 7.
As stated above, WHAT WOULD YOU USE IN PLACE OF LINUX.

sldfjkslkdjflskj

pornee
October 20th, 2009, 09:50 PM
No, because the dollar is weak now. :lol:
hahahaha that is a good one hehe

Giant Speck
October 20th, 2009, 09:51 PM
As stated above, WHAT WOULD YOU USE IN PLACE OF LINUX.

sldfjkslkdjflskj

But Fraaaaaaaaaaak, this hypothetical is meeeeaaaaaan!

Frak
October 20th, 2009, 10:19 PM
But Fraaaaaaaaaaak, this hypothetical is meeeeaaaaaan!
I want my wawa! GIVE ME MAI WAWA!

Rainstride
October 20th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I want my wawa! GIVE ME MAI WAWA!

calm down helen keller....i mean frak....

perlluver
October 20th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Been to Windows 7, and I would have to say no thank you. Didn't really sit right with me.

trixman
October 21st, 2009, 01:09 AM
Why?

nope

windows machines are to costly to upkeep , and in tough economic times why abandon a perfectly nice operating system like Linux Ubuntu.

Jackelope
October 21st, 2009, 02:53 AM
Nope. I like Win7 alright, but Ubuntu is an addiction. :) But if I could sell it and go back to linux, sure why not?

Frak
October 21st, 2009, 02:55 AM
Nope. I like Win7 alright, but Ubuntu is an addiction. :) But if I could sell it and go back to linux, sure why not?
NO, YOU CAN'T THAT'S THE POINT. You get the $100, and you can NOT use Linux for as long as you use 7, ok?

Quit taking the lazy way out.

dj-toonz
October 21st, 2009, 03:25 AM
Nope, as I haven't used any microsoft operating systems for about 10 years & love Linux to much, wouldn't go back to a buggy, virus-prone, spam-bot of a operating system if you paid me a million dollars, happy with a stable, virus-free, easy to use Linux distro

Giant Speck
October 21st, 2009, 03:36 AM
NO, YOU CAN'T THAT'S THE POINT. You get the $100, and you can NOT use Linux for as long as you use 7, ok?

Quit taking the lazy way out.

How about this:

If I was required to give up using anything but Windows, I'd kindly reject the offer and just buy the Windows disc myself. I'm not exactly poor, so buying Windows would not a problem for me.

However, if I wasn't required to give up using anything but Windows, I'd gladly accept the $100 and the Windows disc and use it for my other computer.

Also, after reading the original post, the original hypothetical presented never expressively said that you are required to abandon Linux in order to accept the deal. The question isn't "would you accept the deal if it meant abandoning Linux;" it's "would you abandon Linux if you were being offered Windows 7 for free."

Frak
October 21st, 2009, 03:47 AM
How about this:

If I was required to give up using anything but Windows, I'd kindly reject the offer and just buy the Windows disc myself. I'm not exactly poor, so buying Windows would not a problem for me.

However, if I wasn't required to give up using anything but Windows, I'd gladly accept the $100 and the Windows disc and use it for my other computer.

Also, after reading the original post, the original hypothetical presented never expressively said that you are required to abandon Linux in order to accept the deal. The question isn't "would you accept the deal if it meant abandoning Linux;" it's "would you abandon Linux if you were being offered Windows 7 for free."
On the contrary for me. It looks like "Would you use Windows 7 assuming you were required to abandon Linux?"

johnboy1313
October 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM
Why?

the only reason i would is because i have more than 1 machine i could install it on, if i had to ditch linux, i would not.

to be fair i'd like to try it just because it will make my job eaiser, but id like to avoid it in my home, at least for any long period of time.

windows 7 = ](*,)

Tristam Green
October 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM
I wonder how many yahoos in this thread have *actually* installed Win7, let alone use it, prior to saying it's like pulling teeth to maintain.

RiceMonster
October 21st, 2009, 04:03 PM
I wonder how many yahoos in this thread have *actually* installed Win7, let alone use it, prior to saying it's like pulling teeth to maintain.

Probably none.

Tristam Green
October 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
Its irony, man, because a Window is glass so you can see through it, and you'd probably break it anyway if you messed with it like Windows breaks whenever you touch it amirite LOLOLOLOLOL

I'm not sorry for the above comment.

Windows is as painful and painless in every day use as Linux, if only in different ways.

Forgive me if I actually enjoy not having to create a thread for every new piece of hardware I intend to buy, only to ask in said threads "what mobile phone/mp3 player/3g card/game will work in Linux?"

johnboy1313
October 21st, 2009, 04:11 PM

my curiosity has not reached the point to where i care to install it (thank you snes emulator)

also: deadpool rocks, best marvel character hands down

JillSwift
October 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
Its irony, man, because a Window is glass so you can see through it, and you'd probably break it anyway if you messed with it like Windows breaks whenever you touch it amirite LOLOLOLOLOL

I'm not sorry for the above comment.

Windows is as painful and painless in every day use as Linux, if only in different ways.

Forgive me if I actually enjoy not having to create a thread for every new piece of hardware I intend to buy, only to ask in said threads "what mobile phone/mp3 player/3g card/game will work in Linux?"
Jeebuz. It's only an operating system. Chill.

Tristam Green
October 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM
deadpool rocks, best marvel character hands down

Thank you, Deadpool issue #900 came out last week, and it was killer.

Jeebuz. It's only an operating system. Chill.

Sounds awfully familiar to something I say, almost daily, to about 85% of the Café users.

Amazing.

JillSwift
October 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Sounds awfully familiar to something I say, almost daily, to about 85% of the Café users.

Amazing.
It's good advice.

Take it.

Tristam Green
October 21st, 2009, 04:28 PM
It's good advice.

Take it.

I do not think you understand my underlying meaning with what I just said.

edit: Suffice it to say, I do not wish to get into this argument. It just seems like that's what we do from time-to-time, Jill, and it's not worth either of our time.

JillSwift
October 21st, 2009, 04:55 PM
I do not think you understand my underlying meaning with what I just said.Oh, I understood. I just ignored it.

edit: Suffice it to say, I do not wish to get into this argument. It just seems like that's what we do from time-to-time, Jill, and it's not worth either of our time.
Well, I just hold out a sort of irrational hope that one day you'll understand that harping on about what other's are harping on is still harping on.:)

Tristam Green
October 21st, 2009, 04:59 PM
Oh, I understood. I just ignored it.

Well, I just hold out a sort of irrational hope that one day you'll understand that harping on about what other's are harping on is still harping on.:)

The same kind of irrational hope that I hold where I fight the fire with fire, and pray that it doesn't spread any further.

#-o

sydbat
October 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM
Y'know...I thought this was a stupid thread as I began to read through it (but did so for sheer entertainment sake). However, it turned out to be the most revealing thread of where people stand in this forum.

From this thread I learned exactly who the Microsoft plants / fanbois are. Now I can happily block them and never read their "but it is all about choice" replies...because they are really directing people to Windows / Microsoft products by spreading FUD (subtly for sure). And they know who they are.

I have noticed this trend become more and more evident in the last few months. To me, it is a definite sign that Microsoft is scared sh**less of GNU/Linux (and Ubuntu more specifically). Why else would they either send people to spread FUD or mislead others to spread FUD.

Oh...and the argument that "it is only an OS" is erroneous. To many (most?) outside the developed world, a computer allows them to become part of the global conversation. And the OS IS important because it either freely allows that joining or keeps people subjugated. This applies fully to the developed world too, where people are kept ignorant to the choices they have...because when they do find out what is going on, those in control begin to lose that control.

JillSwift
October 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
The same kind of irrational hope that I hold where I fight the fire with fire, and pray that it doesn't spread any further.

#-o
You have to clear-cut a firebreak before the part where you add the fire. Otherwise you just make things worse.

I sens a run-away analogy. :-o

Tristam Green
October 21st, 2009, 05:07 PM
I sens a run-away analogy. :-o

There are emotes for this kind of thing!

http://www.qcdn.org/ffxi/images/smiles/crazyest.gif

yes, yes that works.

Tristam Green
October 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
Y'know...I thought this was a stupid thread as I began to read through it (but did so for sheer entertainment sake). However, it turned out to be the most revealing thread of where people stand in this forum.

From this thread I learned exactly who the Microsoft plants / fanbois are. Now I can happily block them and never read their "but it is all about choice" replies...because they are really directing people to Windows / Microsoft products by spreading FUD (subtly for sure). And they know who they are.

I have noticed this trend become more and more evident in the last few months. To me, it is a definite sign that Microsoft is scared sh**less of GNU/Linux (and Ubuntu more specifically). Why else would they either send people to spread FUD or mislead others to spread FUD.

Oh...and the argument that "it is only an OS" is erroneous. To many (most?) outside the developed world, a computer allows them to become part of the global conversation. And the OS IS important because it either freely allows that joining or keeps people subjugated. This applies fully to the developed world too, where people are kept ignorant to the choices they have...because when they do find out what is going on, those in control begin to lose that control.

Do you even hear yourself?

Yes, the OS is important, but not for the reasons you say. It's not a tool for oppression. Good lord, the Illuminati aren't pulling the strings to ensure that there will be 30 more years of Microsoft dominance in the global software economy.

An operating system is a tool that allows you to use a computer efficiently (at least, it should be). Dependent on what roles and services you wish to perform, you cater your systems to use an appropriate OS.

johnboy1313
October 21st, 2009, 05:18 PM

Yes, the OS is important, but not for the reasons you say. It's not a tool for oppression. Good lord, the Illuminati aren't pulling the strings to ensure that there will be 30 more years of Microsoft dominance in the global software economy.

An operating system is a tool that allows you to use a computer efficiently (at least, it should be). Dependent on what roles and services you wish to perform, you cater your systems to use an appropriate OS.

lol, good use of the word Illuminati

and i agree that the os should be nothing more than a tool, what ever is the best fit for you to use and to maximize your machine is king os for the user in question, unless your a nerd who gets bored with things and bombs his hard drive form time to time just to play with a new os.

and if anything i think windows is trying to take from both linux systems and mac systems, much like politics, trying to blur the lines of what makes the operating systems different not as noticable to the average user. its not like microsoft is against using other peoples ideas.

hoppipolla
October 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM

lol yeah well put, although he was right about this thread being quite revealing! It's weird that if this ever was to actually happen (and of course I am aware it's impossible) we'd probably lose about a third to half our members :)

I won't be ditching it anytime soon though! ^_^

RiceMonster
October 21st, 2009, 05:35 PM
lol yeah well put, although he was right about this thread being quite revealing! It's weird that if this ever was to actually happen (and of course I am aware it's impossible) we'd probably lose about a third to half our members :)

I won't be ditching it anytime soon though! ^_^

A third? I think there was around 3 people who said they would, out of 64 people who posted.

hoppipolla
October 21st, 2009, 05:38 PM
A third? I think there was around 3 people who said they would, out of 64 people who posted.

lol yeah maybe you're right - maybe they just proved quite a vocal minority due to the amount of backlash they got! O.O heh

MasterNetra
October 21st, 2009, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't abandoned Linux, but would go for it. I mean how are they gonna know your duel bootin anyway?

tcoffeep
October 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM

It automatically makes one a fanboy or a plant to say they'd switch? I don't use linux (well... freebsd) to subvert the system. I use it because I enjoy it. I don't need a philosophical reason, I don't need a movement, a belief system, to use the OS. No. That's ricockulous. I use it because it works, for the most part. But Windows 7 is a great system, especially compared to Vista, and they actually took a few cues from the users, and this is a Good Thing.

Like I've said before, just because someone prefers to use Windows over linux doesn't make them ignorant, a plant, a fanboy, or anything else. Windows 7 works great, and if I could get it for free, I'd use it, fersure.

I'm tired of this response to anything that could be construed as to Linux having problems being nothing but FUD. Think about it, kid, not everything is FUD, and when everyone labels it as such, it gets ignored. Linux has a lot of problems that need to be fixed.

What can I say, though. Idiots'll be idiots, there's nothing I can do about that. Take a step back from your computer, and realize that people use things because they enjoy them, not because they follow a transparent guideline of what being a computer user is or isn't supposed to be.

That said, block me. I don't care. I'll be better for not having your ignorant replies be directed towards me.

unknownPoster
October 21st, 2009, 06:52 PM
It automatically makes one a fanboy or a plant to say they'd switch? I don't use linux (well... freebsd) to subvert the system. I use it because I enjoy it. I don't need a philosophical reason, I don't need a movement, a belief system, to use the OS. No. That's ricockulous. I use it because it works, for the most part. But Windows 7 is a great system, especially compared to Vista, and they actually took a few cues from the users, and this is a Good Thing.

Like I've said before, just because someone prefers to use Windows over linux doesn't make them ignorant, a plant, a fanboy, or anything else. Windows 7 works great, and if I could get it for free, I'd use it, fersure.

I'm tired of this response to anything that could be construed as to Linux having problems being nothing but FUD. Think about it, kid, not everything is FUD, and when everyone labels it as such, it gets ignored. Linux has a lot of problems that need to be fixed.

What can I say, though. Idiots'll be idiots, there's nothing I can do about that. Take a step back from your computer, and realize that people use things because they enjoy them, not because they follow a transparent guideline of what being a computer user is or isn't supposed to be.

That said, block me. I don't care. I'll be better for not having your ignorant replies be directed towards me.

I have to agree with all of this. I don't use a particular Operating System because of some religious or spiritual conviction. I need an operating system that allows me to finish my work. Some of my work requires Windows, some requires Linux.

If I'm ignored for using Windows and saying that it's a useful tool, I question the mental capacity of whomever ignored me. Most of the world uses a computer as a tool. A tool used to accomplish some task such as photo-editing, browsing the web, designing applications, etc.

Regardless, my answer to the question is "absolutely."

undecim
October 21st, 2009, 07:06 PM
To abandon Linux? I would need more like 20K for that. And since it would be abandoning Linux (as opposed to dual booting, there would probably be a contract invlovled, which I would only sign If I were allowed to donate half of that 20K to open-source foundations.

As for the windows 7, I'd give it away and hire a lawyer to find a loophole in the contract that would let me use my own OS.

johnboy1313
October 21st, 2009, 07:11 PM
To abandon Linux? I would need more like 20K for that. And since it would be abandoning Linux (as opposed to dual booting, there would probably be a contract invlovled, which I would only sign If I were allowed to donate half of that 20K to open-source foundations.

As for the windows 7, I'd give it away and hire a lawyer to find a loophole in the contract that would let me use my own OS.

you know for like 1k you could just buy another machine and put linux back on that

hoppipolla
October 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM

hehe not a bad plan but it does involve convincing them to give you 20K... lol :)

bshosey
October 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM
No way would I make this deal. Software freedom has nothing to do with money.

100 bucks is nothing compared to what I save on linux. I have Linux servers DAWS laptops. Plus just the time I would spend maintaining windows on the servers and DAWS.

Plus I would not enjoy using computers as much. There no way I would make a deal like that!

Bachstelze
October 21st, 2009, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't abandoned Linux, but would go for it. I mean how are they gonna know your duel bootin anyway?

That would be fairly trivial to implement.

g160689
October 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM
oh no then that will end the fun of pirating windows!!!!!!

KegHead
October 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM
Yo,

I'd do a Steve Miller---take the money and run..

Then throw away the window$ disk.

KegHead

Icehuck
October 21st, 2009, 07:49 PM

You are right, I am a plant to spread hate towards free software. However, I don't work for Microsoft. I work for the various communist run governments of the world. If we can destroy this thing call gnu/linux then we can force people to buy software. If we get people to buy a product then that will destroy capitalism and therefore you will fear the iron curtain.

In soviet russia ball kicks you!

RiceMonster
October 21st, 2009, 08:32 PM
You are right, I am a plant to spread hate towards free software. However, I don't work for Microsoft. I work for the various communist run governments of the world. If we can destroy this thing call gnu/linux then we can force people to buy software. If we get people to buy a product then that will destroy capitalism and therefore you will fear the iron curtain.

I lol'd

johnboy1313
October 21st, 2009, 08:39 PM

Ha, lol comrade

Frak
October 21st, 2009, 09:36 PM

Dooooouuuuubbbbbllllleeeee standards.

I agree. I want something to get my work done. There's nothing evangelical about an Operating System. If what I'm using doesn't complete it, I don't use it. If somebody tells me I'm "inferior" or too "ignorant" to stick with something, I'll give them my opinion too.

I lol'd.

Hyper Tails
October 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM
I got Vista and 9.04 now and I'm upgrading to win 7 pro and When I get it I'm STILL going to use Linux

So.......,NO

J V
October 21st, 2009, 10:44 PM
Lets see...

Antivirus: 40 euros (about 80 dollars)
Firewall: 50 USD oh! no! wait!

We're already over the 100 dollars and haven't even secured the computer for basic internet access, sorry, win7 down the tubes, and that's without counting a lifelong ban of linux too... (That would cost another 30k+ over my lifetime for sure)

(I'm sure I could think up another 1000 USD or so for things windows screws you with... office for example...)

Frak
October 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
Lets see...

Antivirus: 40 euros (about 80 dollars)
Firewall: 50 USD oh! no! wait!

We're already over the 100 dollars and haven't even secured the computer for basic internet access, sorry, win7 down the tubes

(I'm sure I could think up another 1000 USD or so for things windows screws you with... office for example...)
AVG or Avast: Free
Firewall: built in

Don't bend the truth.

kvarley
October 21st, 2009, 10:46 PM
Never, I love my linux stuff way to much for some crappy corporate OS ;) :P

Wiebelhaus
October 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM
No sorry , My freedom is not for sale.

Icehuck
October 21st, 2009, 10:48 PM

Don't bend the truth.

Frak, or shall I call you comrade Borris?

J V
October 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM

Don't bend the truth.
The built in firewall is a joke...

Win XP: after going straight for AVG, no detours, I ran a scan of the system, and voila, 2 virusses... and that's with windows firewall at "full strength"

And as for vista, the only free firewalls I could find didn't work with it (And other reports came in that the payed versions didn't either)

I'm sure windows 7 is better than the other crap MS has been pumping the last few years, but simply because of the incredible difficulty to get working free software, and all the pitfalls of windows, it would outweigh the -100 USD price fairly quickly...

Frak
October 21st, 2009, 11:01 PM
The built in firewall is a joke...

Win XP: after going straight for AVG, no detours, I ran a scan of the system, and voila, 2 virusses... and that's with windows firewall at "full strength"

And as for vista, the only free firewalls I could find didn't work with it (And other reports came in that the payed versions didn't either)

I'm sure windows 7 is better than the other crap MS has been pumping the last few years, but simply because of the incredible difficulty to get working free software, and all the pitfalls of windows, it would outweigh the -100 USD price fairly quickly...
The firewall works fine, in my experience. It supports a lot of features that professional firewalls support, it just takes some poking around to find.

As for "finding 2 viruses", quit downloading software. Quit pirating XP and you won't have those problems. That's the only way you could have viruses on a fresh install.

As for 7 "not working with software", this is utter FUD. Give me an example, WITH PROOF, of a popular peice of software that doesn't work correctly on 7 with the appropriate patches.

J V
October 21st, 2009, 11:11 PM
As for "finding 2 viruses", quit downloading software. Quit pirating XP and you won't have those problems. That's the only way you could have viruses on a fresh install.

As for 7 "not working with software", this is utter FUD. Give me an example, WITH PROOF, of a popular peice of software that doesn't work correctly on 7 with the appropriate patches.Legitimate XP, and as I said, AVG was the only thing I downloaded...

As for 7, I've never tried it, I was talking about vista, but considering their track record I woulden't even go near a deal with MS until the OS had been out for... well, quite some time...

Icehuck
October 21st, 2009, 11:13 PM
Legitimate XP, and as I said, AVG was the only thing I downloaded...

As for 7, I've never tried it, I was talking about vista, but considering their track record I woulden't even go near a deal with MS until the OS had been out for... well, quite some time...

I give you.

Frak
October 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM
I give you.
hahahahahaha!

TheNosh
October 21st, 2009, 11:56 PM

excuse me, but what?

how does windows screw you with office? MS Office works on it, which a lot of people like. but if you feel like MS office is a rip off, that still doesn't matter because Open office also exists for windows. (or star office, or IBM Lotus Symphony, or whatever)

Giant Speck
October 21st, 2009, 11:58 PM
excuse me, but what?

how does windows screw you with office? MS Office works on it, which a lot of people like. but if you feel like MS office is a rip off, that still doesn't matter because Open office also exists for windows. (or star office, or IBM Lotus Symphony, or whatever)

Or online services like Google Docs, ZoHo, and ThinkFree.

Frak
October 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
Or online services like Google Docs, ZoHo, and ThinkFree.
Or Abiword, or KOffice (runs on Windows), or WPS Office, or SoftMaker. There's another one I can't think of off the top of my head.

tcoffeep
October 22nd, 2009, 01:27 AM
I use Q10, Notepad++, and Cream/gVim for everything. They do everything I need.

[edit]: omg and they're free. btw, I use Avast! and MBAM for my internet condom, and I haven't had a virus in my 6 months of using it.

Money spent on software in the last 6 months : $0
Programs pirated to protect my computer : 0
Websites travelled : Countless

mivo
October 22nd, 2009, 03:10 AM
I paid €125 for my copy of Windows 7. :) However, I would not take it for free, or with a $100 bonus, if it meant I would have to limit myself to just one OS. Two of my machines run Linux (one Ubuntu, the other Arch) and two run Windows. I quite like choice.

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM

Don't bend the truth.

Yeah agreed - I think it's silly when people say things like that that are just obvious lies - I secure Windows for free as well without any problem at all :)

I find that Linux is also the simpler option for me though - no license keys, no activation, no new releases to shell out money for or spend time upgrading to. Linux just does it, automatically, for free. For the most part Linux is actually LESS fuss for me, and I feel fully in control of my computer :)

SirBismuth
October 22nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah agreed - I think it's silly when people say things like that that are just obvious lies - I secure Windows for free as well without any problem at all :)

I find that Linux is also the simpler option for me though - no license keys, no activation, no new releases to shell out money for or spend time upgrading to. Linux just does it, automatically, for free. For the most part Linux is actually LESS fuss for me, and I feel fully in control of my computer :)

I have also found Ubuntu less fuss, that Windows, for me. Also, the same goes for having more control over your PC.

But yeah, would take the money, and ditch the Win7 DVD/s. :P

B

sydbat
October 22nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
I just want to thank everyone who either missed the point I was making or decided to twist it to whatever their agenda is.

I made no personal attacks, although I knew who would be the most upset by my comments...

Will I continue to use Ubuntu (and other distros)? Yes.

Is GNU/Linux perfect? No. Nothing is. To infer otherwise shows a lack of understanding.

Is it better than Windows? Yes, for the majority of computing tasks...No, if all you want to do is play video games.

Will I continue to frequent UF for support (both as a resource and to help)? Yes.

Will I visit the cafe anymore? Unlikely.

Now, those who will have their fun tearing this apart, or wishing me well in the belief I am somehow leaving, or think that my near half century of life makes me a "kid", etc, etc, etc, have at 'er. At this point, I really don't care anymore.

Tristam Green
October 22nd, 2009, 07:19 PM
I just want to thank everyone who either missed the point I was making or decided to twist it to whatever their agenda is.

I made no personal attacks, although I knew who would be the most upset by my comments...

Calling people "fanbois" or "shills" qualifies as a personal attack, just not maybe outlined by the CoC.

Nobody is asking you to do otherwise.

Is GNU/Linux perfect? No. Nothing is. To infer otherwise shows a lack of understanding.

It certainly does.

Is it better than Windows? Yes, for the majority of computing tasks...No, if all you want to do is play video games.

Opinion. Back it up with facts, otherwise call it "comparable", which it is, at best.

Will I continue to frequent UF for support (both as a resource and to help)? Yes.

Keep on rockin' in the free world, sydbat.

That's too bad.

Now, those who will have their fun tearing this apart, or wishing me well in the belief I am somehow leaving, or think that my near half century of life makes me a "kid", etc, etc, etc, have at 'er. At this point, I really don't care anymore.

Teardown complete, and age means jack.

tcoffeep
October 22nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Just pretend I copy-pasta'd Deadpool up there in this post, because I couldn't've said it any better.

pricetech
October 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Why?

I'm one of those who would gladly take the money and maybe even the winders, but NEVER would I give up Linux.

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Opinion. Back it up with facts, otherwise call it "comparable", which it is, at best.

ahahahahahahahahaha! Now THAT'S opinion of the YEAR! lol

Tristam Green
October 22nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
ahahahahahahahahaha! Now THAT'S opinion of the YEAR! lol

No, it is fact. Windows does *some* processes better than Linux, and Linux does *some* processes better than Windows. They're comparable, but neither is overall GREATER than the other.

Dayofswords
October 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
oddly, this sounds like something Microsoft would consider offering...

Mateo
October 22nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
bought win7 today. only $120, no biggy. taking forever to install though. going on 3 hours.

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
No, it is fact. Windows does *some* processes better than Linux, and Linux does *some* processes better than Windows. They're comparable, but neither is overall GREATER than the other.

yeah but you said comparable at BEST! The sheer fact that I'm sitting here with a gorgeous looking FREE desktop that automatically updates and gives me limitless free software without even having to search the internet for it proves it can't be that bad! lol

And I have NO anti-virus running, a minimal firewall, great applications... I mean... I understand that Windows has advantages still in some areas of user-friendliness and sometimes a more "polished" desktop, but... it's just the way you implied that Linux struggles to be comparable, which is crazy!

MellonCollie
October 22nd, 2009, 09:34 PM

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 22nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
My point: yes, I could do all my work in Windows. That doesn't mean the choice between Linux and Windows is irrelevant. I don't use Linux because it's free as in beer (my Dell came with Vista and I payed for it). I don't use Linux because it's free as in freedom (I like free software, but I use whatever works best, and sometimes what works best is not free). I use it because I like it. And being prived of something I like is easily worth more than $100 depending on the period.

Agreed. I'm not a Windows hater. I quite enjoy it from time to time. I just like using various Linux DISTRO's more. I emphasize distro's because I like to have a Linux Kernel, with a desktop environment and easily installable programs from dependable repositories included with my Linux.

While I do use Linux exclusively on this pc (my laptop) it is more just a matter of convenience. I don't want to install Windows again because it takes too damn long to get all the updates etc. At some point in the future I'm sure I'll purchase a copy of Windows 7. I would not however give up my freedom to use other Kernels/OS's just for a free copy of ONE OS and a couple of bucks.

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 09:36 PM

I wouldn't worry man, the thing is you have to remember this is a BIG and fast-moving community, and you will always get lots of positive and negative comments on pretty much anything! You will always get all kinds of personalities, and it's best to just accept that that's the case and find the people you click best with :)

I add people to my friends list all the time ^_^

Mateo
October 22nd, 2009, 09:40 PM
I just want to inform everybody about a great job opportunity that has ALOT of earning potential. Youd be working for GDI, they rank 37th fastest growing company in the WORLD. I am 18 years old, and just started this business last month and have already racked up a monthly income of 1950.00 Its sooo easy a caveman could do it. literally. If your interested take a couple minutes and watch the presentation. www.website.ws/sperosgregory (http://www.website.ws/sperosgregory) If you have any questions feel free to email me. I can help you every step of the way.

thanks! who do I send my money to? Directly to you? send me a message and i'll go ahead and fill out a check.

Giant Speck
October 23rd, 2009, 12:07 AM
yeah but you said comparable at BEST! The sheer fact that I'm sitting here with a gorgeous looking FREE desktop that automatically updates and gives me limitless free software without even having to search the internet for it proves it can't be that bad! lol

And I have NO anti-virus running, a minimal firewall, great applications... I mean... I understand that Windows has advantages still in some areas of user-friendliness and sometimes a more "polished" desktop, but... it's just the way you implied that Linux struggles to be comparable, which is crazy!

I think you missed his point.

You obviously like Linux. I mean, it is _blatantly_ obvious. However, if you were to say Linux was better than Windows based off your own experiences with both, your opinion would be nothing more than just an opinion. No matter how much better Linux is for you, saying that Linux is better for all will never be a fact. It will be an opinion. Likewise, no matter how much better Windows is for someone else, saying that Windows is better for all will also never be a fact.

hoppipolla
October 23rd, 2009, 01:01 AM

You obviously like Linux. I mean, it is _blatantly_ obvious. However, if you were to say Linux was better than Windows based off your own experiences with both, your opinion would be nothing more than just an opinion. No matter how much better Linux is for you, saying that Linux is better for all will never be a fact. It will be an opinion. Likewise, no matter how much better Windows is for someone else, saying that Windows is better for all will also never be a fact.

Yeah I know but he stated this as if it was fact:

otherwise call it "comparable", which it is, at best.

murderslastcrow
October 23rd, 2009, 01:51 AM
I would take it. I would burn the Windows 7 box in the most public place I could find, then tell my friend I'd pay them 50 dollars to consider dual-booting or switching entirely to Linux. :3 Two friends and a boycotted Windows 7 later, everyone's happy! :D

gunashekar
October 23rd, 2009, 02:09 AM
I used windows since windows 1.0 for DOS (1985?) till Windows XP. I haven't seen windows vista and windows 7 . I am sure they would have done a decent job with windows 7. However I am comfortable using Ubuntu and havent touched wine since installing jaunty. Considering I would have to invest on an antivirus software and other software besides the time I have to spend fighting trojans, malware. adware, a $100 would not be incentive enough to touch windows again.

afeasfaerw23231233
October 23rd, 2009, 08:46 AM
I would because of that $100. Dual boot but never use it.

Khakilang
October 23rd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Take the $100 and Win7 and wait for it to crash together with your valuable data. No I don't think so unless MS is willing to pay for all my data loss.

mivo
October 23rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Take the $100 and Win7 and wait for it to crash together with your valuable data. No I don't think so unless MS is willing to pay for all my data loss.

Uninformed FUD. I never lost data in either Linux or Windows, any flavour. If someone does, the problem is between the chair and the keyboard. (Pro tip: Anyone who has valuable data backs it up, regardless of the OS used.)

t0p
October 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
Ubuntu is far more valuable to me than that.

Ooh, language trivia fun!

1. large means "thousand" not "hundred". Look here (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/in+large) and here (http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/large).

2. The plural of virus is viruses - not viri, virii, vira, viora, or any of the other daft words that people come up with. Nice explanation here (http://linuxmafia.com/%7Erick/faq/plural-of-virus.html) and here (http://wapedia.mobi/en/Plural_form_of_words_ending_in_-us).

I'm sure some of you are thniking "What? Who cares?" - but teach English, so this kind of thing is important to me. So there! :p

HappinessNow
October 23rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Why?

[quote]abondoning

- no dictionary resultshttp://dictionary.reference.com/browse/abondoning?&sourceid=Mozilla-search

Did you mean abandoning (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abandoning)?
Dictionary:
abounding (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abounding)
abound in (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abound+in)
intoning (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=intoning)
Antonin (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Antonin)
abandon (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abandon)
bandoneon (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bandoneon)
aberdonian (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=aberdonian)
Antonine (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Antonine)
abandons (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abandons)
abingdon (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abingdon)
abstaining (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abstaining)
abandonee (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abandonee)
abandoner (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abandoner)
aboundingly (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=aboundingly)
abandon's (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abandon%27s)http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/abondoning?&sourceid=Mozilla-search

Tristam Green
October 23rd, 2009, 02:15 PM

I didn't imply any such. Linux struggles to get itself a decent amount of market share, not being comparable as an operating system.

Comparable is the absolute best term you can use to describe it. Claiming anything more is just wrong.

^-- yes.

hoppipolla
October 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
I didn't imply any such. Linux struggles to get itself a decent amount of market share, not being comparable as an operating system.

Comparable is the absolute best term you can use to describe it. Claiming anything more is just wrong.

^-- yes.

I like Linux and I do prefer it but I've been using both operating systems for long enough to have a fairly balanced viewpoint o.O

I just am enthusiastic about the potential of open source, it's my preference and I hope it becomes more popular in future :)

xuCGC002
October 23rd, 2009, 02:56 PM
I get $100 if I use a crappy, highly unstable system for the rest of my life? No thanks.

EDIT:

I'm sure some of you are thniking "What? Who cares?" - but teach English, so this kind of thing is important to me. So there! :p

You spelled "thinking" wrong and it should be "I teach English".

:3

hoppipolla
October 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
I get $100 if I use a crappy, highly unstable system for the rest of my life? No thanks.

EDIT:

You spelled "thinking" wrong and it should be "I teach English".

:3

xD!!!!!

Hyper Tails
October 23rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
I got my 7 upgrade yesterday and I still have Linux

But it delets grub so i have to reinstall grub :?

hoppipolla
October 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
I got my 7 upgrade yesterday and I still have Linux

But it delets grub so i have to reinstall grub :?

lol :) Yeah Windows considers most Linuxy things as being "corrupt"! lol

unknownPoster
October 23rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
lol :) Yeah Windows considers most Linuxy things as being "corrupt"! lol

You do realize that when you install Linux, Grub/Lilo overwrites Window's MBR.

Neither are declaring each other corrupt, they are both just doing their job as operating systems.

fela
October 23rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
I'd only ditch Linux for Windows if someone's life was at stake. A mere $100? Pfft.

fela
October 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM

Except GRUB (and maybe lilo?) still let you boot windows by chainloading from its own MBR, the bootloader code on the windows partition. Automatically. How nice!

When windows overwrites a Linux/Other MBR, it just overwrites it. There. Gone.

hoppipolla
October 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM

Neither are declaring each other corrupt, they are both just doing their job as operating systems.

no no but Windows always does, me and my friend used to laugh about this because it doesn't register them as Linux or anything else, it declares that they could be corrupt! It's only a joke though, I'm not being anti-Windows! heh :)

Except GRUB (and maybe lilo?) still let you boot windows by chainloading from its own MBR, the bootloader code on the windows partition. Automatically. How nice!

well true, good point! lol

unknownPoster
October 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM

I'm not refuting that point. I'm refuting the point that Windows deems Linux as "corrupt" and vice versa.

Hosmion
October 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
I couldn't survive without Linux.

Tristam Green
October 23rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
I'd only ditch Linux for Windows if someone's life was at stake. A mere $100? Pfft.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I couldn't survive without Linux.

It controls your life-support systems?

tcoffeep
October 23rd, 2009, 08:19 PM

I've got your daughter. Switch to Windows or it is lights out.

tcoffeep
October 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
It controls your life-support systems?

I lol'd

RiceMonster
October 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
I've got your daughter. Switch to Windows or it is lights out.

Fela has a daughter and he's 13 years old? Damn.

Frak
October 23rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Fela has a daughter and he's 13 years old? Damn.
Dude gets around. Sheesh.

OT
Woo, I just got $100 for using 7!

tcoffeep
October 24th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Woo, I just got $100 for using 7!

But you pirated photoshop. go to jail, do not pass go, and DO NOT collect $200. Filthy mongrel.

Frak
October 24th, 2009, 04:26 AM
But you pirated photoshop. go to jail, do not pass go, and DO NOT collect $200. Filthy mongrel.
You caught me occifer!

mamamia88
October 24th, 2009, 04:30 AM
i would probably go for it planning on building a gaming rig soon anyway and need windows for that.

magmon
October 24th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I'd tell them I would, then sell the copy and keep my linux and cash >.>