PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to boot a *bootable* CD.

nicoSWD
October 19th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I bought a book which came with a bootable Ubuntu CD, which also includes some extra software and files. Somehow I'm not able to boot this CD. I tried it on 4 different computers, and all just pass over to the Windows screen.

I changed all BIOS settings correctly to start from CD. And when I put in an official Ubuntu CD from the website, it boots and installs just fine.

So, is there some sort of startup helper? Or a "swap CD"?

And if not, is there a way to extract the extra software/files from the CD so I can use it?

Thanks!

tachuela
October 19th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Burn the ISO as 'image; not 'data'
Download a new ISO.

Mark Phelps
October 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I bought a book which came with a bootable Ubuntu CD, which also includes some extra software and files. Somehow I'm not able to boot this CD. I tried it on 4 different computers, and all just pass over to the Windows screen.

I changed all BIOS settings correctly to start from CD. And when I put in an official Ubuntu CD from the website, it boots and installs just fine.
Which shows that your boot options are set correctly and your CD/DVD drive boots OK.

So, is there some sort of startup helper? Or a "swap CD"?
There is a downloadable DVD, but since the regular CD boots OK, this won't provide anything extra you need.

And if not, is there a way to extract the extra software/files from the CD so I can use it?

Once you get Ubuntu installed, you can insert this CD, open it in Places, and copy off all the folders you want.

bulldog
October 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM
What kind of extra software?
Can't you get it from the repositories,or download it your self?
Just tell us what kind of software you're looking for,and I'm certain somebody can tell you how to get it.

nicoSWD
October 19th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Burn the ISO as 'image; not 'data'
Download a new ISO.

The CD from the book came already burned. When I compare the disc contents with the contents from the official CD, it looks almost the same. Same files and folders. So I'm guessing it's burned correctly.

Which shows that your boot options are set correctly and your CD/DVD drive boots OK.

There is a downloadable DVD, but since the regular CD boots OK, this won't provide anything extra you need.

Once you get Ubuntu installed, you can insert this CD, open it in Places, and copy off all the folders you want.

The problem is, it's an installer disc, and the contents are compressed into .deb files. I don't have direct access to the files and folders. Or at least I don't know how I could possibly find the files I'm looking for.

What kind of extra software?
Can't you get it from the repositories,or download it your self?
Just tell us what kind of software you're looking for,and I'm certain somebody can tell you how to get it.

It's a programming related book with example codes and editing tools. The book doesn't describe which software is included. And even if, I'd still need the code examples. I'll see if I can download them somewhere, but to be honest, I don't think it'll be possible.

But thanks so far!

nicoSWD
October 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Bump!