PDA

View Full Version : the ubuntu philosophy - what percentage keeps you here?

briancurtin
February 14th, 2006, 05:40 AM
ive heard a lot of people say that they love ubuntu because of the philosophy behind it, and the whole "human" theme (not the GNOME theme, i mean the ideas). i think it is a good distro and has some good ideas. i recently switched to Arch, and was wondering how big of a part the philosophy of ubuntu really plays for others. in thinking about it - for me, it didnt play a part at all.

is it half the philosophy, half the usability? a quarter philosophy, three quarters the stability? etc

so how big of a part does a distribution's ideas/philosophy matter to you? if you saw a distribution that could work exactly the same as ubuntu does for you right now, but plus just a little bit more, would you switch or would you stay because of what ubuntu stands for?

mstlyevil
February 14th, 2006, 05:58 AM
I put 20% but I would say it is around 25%. I use Ubuntu because it is a great, stable distro. I also like the philosophy behind it but I would not say it is the most important thing. If the distro sucked, then I would just use something else regardless of it's philosophy. The community here and these forums are another 25% behind why I love and use Ubuntu. I have played with a few other distos in the 6 months I have been using Linux and I always return to this distro.

GreyFox503
February 14th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Missing option: zero %.

Whether I would have picked it or not, I'm sure that some don't care at all about the philosophy.

aysiu
February 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Humanity toward others: Cool.
Totally free: Cool.
Free software: Sort of cool. I need some proprietary stuff.

mstlyevil
February 14th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Humanity toward others: Cool.
Totally free: Cool.
Free software: Sort of cool. I need some proprietary stuff.

How do you manage to say so much with so few words? I need to take a page from your book. ;)

raublekick
February 14th, 2006, 06:19 AM
It's a good chunk for me, but I'm not sure I can quantify it. What drew me to Ubuntu was the philosophy. I heard two things about it: it's easy to use, and it has a great philosophy. Well, lots of distros are easy to use, so that just kept it in my mind. But seeing all the effort and knowledge that Ubuntu as a whole puts into itself, it really piqued my interest.

Ubuntu is the only distro I have encountered so far that I would donate money to. I haven't yet, though, because I really can't afford more than a $10 donation or something like that. But over the summer I'm going to try to toss at least $100 towards it.

Also, what mstlyevil said.

briancurtin
February 14th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Missing option: zero %.

Whether I would have picked it or not, I'm sure that some don't care at all about the philosophy.
that one was supposed to be on there. i swear i put it on there but now i cant edit the poll i guess.

fuscia
February 14th, 2006, 07:07 AM
0%. the whole 'ubuntu philosophy' strikes me as over-romanticizing ("not that there's anything wrong with that..."). the dillo philosophy appeals a bit more to me. reading an interview with the lead developer http://www.dillo.org/interview.html it occured to me that getting internet access for the people of third world countries is essential if they are not to be left even further behind.

briancurtin
February 14th, 2006, 07:09 AM
i was going to vote 0% myself, so im kind of mad now that i realize i left that option out. i mean its a good set of ideals, but if something works faster and better for me im going there right away.

poofyhairguy
February 14th, 2006, 07:27 AM
A first I thought the philosophy was just a marketing gimic. I was hear for the large amount of packages.

But over time it won me over. 40%

egon spengler
February 14th, 2006, 11:11 AM
The way that so many people use "linux for humans" to justify whatever particular weak argument they are making has caused to me loathe the term

Suzan
February 14th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I vote "20 %". Perhaps it's a little bit more.

The idea behind Ubuntu is the reason, I came to Ubuntu. After using SuSE a while, I am looking for another distro. And then I read about a new Debian-based distribution with the unusual name Ubuntu, which means "Humanity to others". And I must confess - I fell immedately in love with that name an the idea behind Ubuntu.
And certainly, if "only" the philosophy was nice, I would kick Ubuntu away. The main thing is, that a distribution fits my needs. And Ubuntu totally does.

And I believe, the "humanity to others"-thing is a bit of the reason for the very nice community all around the world.

Orunitia
February 14th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I'd have to say pretty much 0%. I use it because it works. If I find something that works better for me, I'll use that instead.

agger
February 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM
0%. the whole 'ubuntu philosophy' strikes me as over-romanticizing ("not that there's anything wrong with that..."). the dillo philosophy appeals a bit more to me. reading an interview with the lead developer http://www.dillo.org/interview.html it occured to me that getting internet access for the people of third world countries is essential if they are not to be left even further behind.

Well, I voted 40%, 'cause I really like the idea of both free and free-of-charge software. That being said, I also am sticking because I've chosen to believe that Just Works will actually come true with this distro.

As for Internet access to 3rd world countries: It has been suggested by many organizations that if you set up free Internet access points in the third world, you will empower these people and enable them to better act and improve their situation.
But experience shows, e.g. in Rio de Janeiro, where the Charity VivaFavela (http://www.vivafavela.com.br) has done just that, that even though it's popular it's not really empowering.

Actually, I think it's a bit in the reverse: Empower these people, and they'll quickly get Internet access all on their own ...

Stormy Eyes
February 14th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I don't choose my distros because of the philosophy espoused by its makers, especially if that philosophy opposes my own. I use Ubuntu because they do Debian better than Debian does.

angkor
February 14th, 2006, 06:50 PM
probably around 10%. So I picked 20% ;)

The philosophy behind is not too important to me, alltthough I support the idea.

When I started using Ubuntu I was pleasantly surprised with the community's attitude towards one another. Maybe Ubuntu's philosophy is partly to be thanked for that. After a using Ubuntu and frequenting these forums for a while I see the community becoming more and more the same as many other distro's communities...:-k

Master Shake
February 14th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I'd say 5%. What attracted me to Ubuntu was

Free -- 40%
HW support -- 15%
Ease of use -- 40%

I give the philosophy a 5%, because "humanity to others" may mean different things to different people.

ScottHerman
February 14th, 2006, 07:34 PM
The socio-political philosophy strikes me as PR/advertising.

It's the design philosophy behind the distro that makes it both usable and accessible. That what's most important to me.

However... If things were different, and the socio-political forces associated with the distro were in opposition to my own, I'd probably not use it.

nemik
February 14th, 2006, 07:39 PM
i initially got attracted since i have at one time lived in South Africa and loved it there; so i wanted to see what this was all about. i love Africa and was in awe about the philosophy taken to bring technology and freedom to it.
so i'd say 80%.

the other 20% because i'm a complete nerd, love developement and now that i'm on ubuntu and running it on all my machines, it is the best for the development and tinkering i like to do. :)

Klaidas
February 14th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I'd say 80-100%.
Ubuntu is a great distro. It's the one I was looking for ;) It's totally free, very nice desing, short release cycles, besides, it has the best community and support ever!