PDA

View Full Version : Eeebuntu 4.0 to drop Ubuntu for Debian

newbie2
October 19th, 2009, 03:05 PM
A few days ago one of the members of the Eeebuntu Linux development team threw up his hands in exasperation complaining that every time a new version of Ubuntu Linux came out, it broke compatibility with Eeebuntu. Now another member of the dev team has posted on the Eebuntu forum that the team has decided to move away from Ubuntu in its next release. Instead, Eeebuntu 4.0 will be based on Debian Unstable.

This means four things:

1. The developers will have more control over the project and more flexibility in the applications and updates added to the project
2. Instead of expecting new releases every 6 months or so, you should see releases when they’re ready (which could be either faster or slower than the current release cycle)
3. The team plans to add support for desktops, not just netbooks
4. The name “Eeebuntu” is going to start sounding a bit silly

The next version is scheduled for release in late December, but a lot can change between now and then. There will be beta versions available before that time though.
http://www.liliputing.com/2009/10/eeebuntu-4-0-to-drop-ubuntu-for-debian.html
http://forum.eeebuntu.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&p=21118
):P

HomoGleek
October 19th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Just read this: http://www.itwire.com/content/view/28574/1141/

Does this affect all Ubuntu users on EeePCs or just Eeebuntu users?

Bachstelze
October 19th, 2009, 05:02 PM
The popular Ubuntu Linux distribution has received criticism from an unexpected corner and its ASUS Eee netbook users are likely to be left with an unworkable system when Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala hits the Internet later this month.

This is rubbish. I've been running Karmic on my Eee 701 for months.

HomoGleek
October 19th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Phew! Panic over! Ta.

HomoGleek
October 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Phew, panic over! Ta :)

The developer of Eeebuntu seems too be throwing his dummy out.

sgosnell
October 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Fewt's utilities have been redundant for some time. The last few Linux kernels have complete support for the EEE, except for perhaps a few things that aren't that important to most users. The only thing that I know of that the utility does is scale the CPU speed more. I don't really care about underclocking my CPU to the extent he does, and everything else works out of the box. I expect the final release of Karmic will make it completely redundant. I'm not panicking.

BigSilly
October 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
That makes no sense to me at all. Distros based on Ubuntu complaining about Ubuntu!

surfed
October 19th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Just read this: http://www.itwire.com/content/view/28574/1141/

Does this affect all Ubuntu users on EeePCs or just Eeebuntu users?

This is a badly researched and written article. It should have made the fact more clear that this only affects Eeebuntu and not Ubuntu users with plain or NBR Desktop. He is just pissed off that eeebuntu is becoming obsolete with Ubuntu NBR steeling the show. I have Karmic on my 1000h and its the best running linux on my eee to date.

starcannon
October 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Nah, eeepc users will be fine. Indeed before easypeasy my Asus Eee 700, 701, and 702 all work, and still do work, perfectly. I use the array.org kernel just to give it a little extra somethin somethin, but outside of that and some u.i. tweaks to make things fit the tiny screen a bit better, it's a pretty standard install; Ubuntu on my Eee's looks like regular old ubuntu, only tiny :)

HomoGleek
October 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM
All reassuring too hear :) I use default Ubuntu + GNOME and it looks fine on 900

(Well I'm using Mint for now, because my ubuntu install broke, just trying out too see what all the hype about, until Karmic)

P.S. Apologies for the spelling and double posts

maflynn
October 23rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Did anyone else see this article?
http://www.liliputing.com/2009/10/eeebuntu-4-0-to-drop-ubuntu-for-debian.html

What do people think?

HappinessNow
October 23rd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Did anyone else see this article?

Nope.

What do people think?No Thoughts on the matter.

AllRadioisDead
October 23rd, 2009, 12:37 PM
Deeebian :P

Tibuda
They will rename it for Deeebian?

EDIT: damn you ihermit :lolflag:

AllRadioisDead
They will rename it for Deeebian?
hah.:)

DigitalDuality
October 23rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
I think its a great idea. I find distros that are built off of distros that are built off of distros risk too much in the stability department.

RiceMonster
October 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
I think its a great idea. I find distros that are built off of distros that are built off of distros risk too much in the stability department.

Someone should make a distro that's based off Linux Mint that's made to be even easier to use. Then it'll be a distro built off a distro that's built off a distro that's built off a distro.

Tibuda
October 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Someone should make a distro that's based off Linux Mint that's made to be even easier to use. Then it'll be a distro built off a distro that's built off a distro that's built off a distro.

echo "a distro"
yes "that's built off a distro"

m4tic
October 25th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Read this. http://www.fewt.com/2009/10/i-give-up.html

he speaks about incompatibilities and flaws he sees in the ubuntu system. Are any of his points to be taken seriously as he sees the 0S as ''unstable'' from this point on moving towards 9.10?

SunnyRabbiera
October 25th, 2009, 05:19 PM
feh, who cares he seems to be a ms shill

Eisenwinter
October 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Yeah, who developed drivers for the operating system you use.

Show a little appreceation.

shadylookin
October 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM
sounds more like a maintainer for eepcs than an app developer. Unlike him I found 9.04 to be a much better release than 8.10, but I guess you can't please all of the people all the time.

SunnyRabbiera
October 25th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah, who developed drivers for the operating system you use.

Show a little appreceation.

yeh but he is selling us out.
EEEpc and asus suck anyway.

schauerlich
October 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM

if not person.agreeswith(you) :
print person, "is an m$ shill! Sellout!"

edin9
October 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM
if not person.agreeswith(you) :
print person, "is an m$ shill! Sellout!"

schauerlich
October 25th, 2009, 05:51 PM

Yes?

Regenweald
October 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Whatever really, people leave, people join. Whatever Ubuntu's direction, it is attracting more and more persons with every release, so they are serving the majority successfully and doing it well.

Swagman
October 25th, 2009, 06:06 PM

That'll persuade him to stay wont it !!

If he reads this then I, at least, appreciate his work.

HomoGleek
October 25th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Not only that, but you also get to look forward to even more bugs in the Intel drivers like the one causing xrandr to report success even when it does nothing, or the super awesome kernel mode setting bug that leaves many Eee 900 users with nothing but a blank screen at startup. This is real PROGRESS people!

Emmm should I be worried?

SomeGuyDude
October 25th, 2009, 06:12 PM

DebEEEan would fit the pronunciation better. :P

DracoJesi
October 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Sounds like somebody just wants to point figures....

if they do change, they should change the name as well, because that's just misleading :(

sgosnell
October 25th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Eeebuntu outlived its usefulness some time ago, as did fewt's scripts. 9.04, especially with the 2.6.30 kernel, runs just fine on the EEE, and needs no tweaking unless you want to do fairly exotic things. Fewt can use whatever he likes, and I'll continue to use straight Ubuntu on my 900.

Cam42
October 25th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Crap. I was going to say just that.
Actually it'd probably be dEEEbian.