PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removing All User-Installed Packages

dgposey
October 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I'm looking to remove all user-installed packages on a lab-full of Jaunty machines, most of which dual boot also into Windows XP. What I mean by this is that I wish to have what is, essentially, a clean install of Jaunty, with (and only with) the same packages that were existent when I installed the OS to begin with. Ideally, I would like to have the same versions of the packages as when they were installed, too.

Why am I doing this, you ask? When I initially installed Jaunty to this lab, I was using Keryx (http://www.keryxproject.org) to update the lab. (I live in a rural part of a developing country, and would travel to the capital city to download the updates and new software.) I have since, however, obtained a copy of the entire Jaunty repository, a little outdated, from an NGO, which I keep on an external hard drive. Using this now on these machines, I have run into dependency problems, which I believe to be the result of using a not-fully updated repository on my external HD. I plan, in the future (after reverting to the original package state) to only use the repos on my HD, hopefully periodically updated.

I am, of course, comfortable using either Synaptic or apt-get, though I would prefer to be able to build a script using apt-get, to speed up the process throug the entire lab.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--David

SaintDanBert
October 19th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I have Synaptic v0.61ubuntu9 and do not see any sort of search by date.
QUESTION: Does anyone know how to get Synaptic to search by date? For example, "show me packages installed after XXX and before YYY"

My Ubuntu Hardy (v8.04.3 LTS) has files /var/log/dpkg.log that show things that have happened. These are subject to your log roll-up processing so you might not have them all.

My last resort is to use find ... to discover packages installed after some historical date.

Please post your results because I think others -- like your humble servant -- would welcome the information.

~~~ 0;-Dan

Mark Phelps
October 22nd, 2009, 02:44 AM
In Synaptic, if you do File --> History, you get a panel on the left where you can select a month, and then a date. The panel on the right will then show all the packages installed on that date.

Sorry, but apart from cut-and-paste using the information in the right panel into a text file, I don't know any way to export the information from Synaptic by date.

sea_monkey987
October 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM
how about using debfoster? i think the default packages that you would want to keep with debfoster are (thanks to http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4887531&postcount=65 for the first four)

linux-generic linux-headers-generic ubuntu-minimal ubuntu-standard ubuntu-desktop

for all the other packages, just say 'p' (for purge) and it will delete the package and all of its exclusive dependencies