PDA

View Full Version : HDCP in Ubuntu?

imrumpf
February 14th, 2006, 05:12 AM
I came across this interesting article (http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/) but It now has me worried: How bright is the future of DVD's for Ubuntu and anoy other *nix system? if we need windows Vista and a special videocard to just view HD-DVD and Blue-Ray DVD at their full capacity, will us Ubuntuers be stuck with the scaled down quality of these new DVD's? What would happen?

JimmyJazz
February 14th, 2006, 05:20 AM
I'll just live without them, honestly DVDs are high enough quality for anything I would ever need, hell if I could use VHS on my computer I would do that.

Bandit
February 14th, 2006, 05:25 AM
This has been sorta being discussed here as well http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=129214

Personally I dont give a rats ***. I didnt spend $3000.00USD on a home entertainment system to watch DVD's on my PC.

mstlyevil
February 14th, 2006, 06:09 AM
When HDCP becomes available, Linux will have it also. Linus Torvaldis has already stated he is not against supporting any kind of DRM in the Linux kernel. When users are actually ready for it, HDCP will be included.

prizrak
February 14th, 2006, 06:31 AM
It makes very little difference really. Most people use specialized hardware for that kind of thing. Such as DVD player :) For those who run Media Center PC's LInux is not the best choice right now anyways and I'm sure Vista MCE is gonna be out at the same time as Vista desktop does :)
Now for all you crazies out there I don't want to say that a Linux media center is impossible or all that difficult (well I'm gonna find out in a couple of days just HOW difficult it is) but it is not the best choice right now as it is impossible to get a prebuilt Media Center PC with Linux on it.

nalmeth
February 14th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Xbox Media Center (xbmc) is an awesome open source media center, but not for pc's,
and you have to do, things, to your xbox to get it on there. I just state this to show a media center for linux is beyond being undoable.

EDIT: Actually I think you can get it for your PC, but I won't guarantee that!

prizrak
February 14th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Xbox Media Center (xbmc) is an awesome open source media center, but not for pc's,
and you have to do, things, to your xbox to get it on there. I just state this to show a media center for linux is beyond being undoable.

EDIT: Actually I think you can get it for your PC, but I won't guarantee that!
Oh a Linux based Media Center is not undoable. I'm building one in a few hours ;) It's just not for an average person :) Who just wants to plug it in and start using it :)

nalmeth
February 14th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Cool man. You're right about that

You should check out xbmc aswell, if only for some reference or something. I have no idea what is involved in building something like that (that's your part!), I just know xbmc is quite superb, and really friggin' easy to use when its setup (my part :D ).

amigabill
September 26th, 2006, 03:53 PM
This has been sorta being discussed here as well http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=129214

Personally I dont give a rats ***. I didnt spend $3000.00USD on a home entertainment system to watch DVD's on my PC.

Well, if HDDVD or Blueray really do take off and DVD goes obsolete, I'd like my MythTV box to continue being my movie player... I'm just getting ready to do an expensive fancy home theater system myself, but I'd like Linux to be part of it...

prizrak
September 26th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Well, if HDDVD or Blueray really do take off and DVD goes obsolete, I'd like my MythTV box to continue being my movie player... I'm just getting ready to do an expensive fancy home theater system myself, but I'd like Linux to be part of it...

If I understand correctly the HDCP is hardware based not software. Linux should have no problem using the HDCP chip as far as I understand it the interface to it is open so that everyone can implement it. If not we came up with a way to watch regular DVD's what make HD content any special? ;)

themuddler
June 26th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I plan to avoid HDCP altogether. I use a dvi to hdmi cable from my laptop (on the side of the sofa) to our HDTV. Then I can put up websites, music players, games or movies on the TV directly and I vastly prefer that flexibility to using a media-centre style menu system. It does mean that I have to strip DRM all of the time but to use linux as a media-centre requires that at the moment and I regard that as justifiable. Only problem is that firefox remembers when I've zoomed into a page to make it look nice and big on the TV, and the page appears huge the next time I view it on the laptop. If only firefox could automatically scale depending on the resolution of the current screen.