PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Starting again with a fresh install

blaise69
October 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm a fairly experienced #! (and Ubuntu) user and due to all sorts of reasons wich I won't bother going into here, I would like to freshly install my operating system.

My current version is #! 8.10, and I have it installed on one of 3 partitions I have on my HD, this partition apart from having the OS install also holds all my media and work and other documents, the other 2 partitions are for Windows 7 (games) and then the swap partition.

My question begins here, I would like to install the latest version of #!, but I don't want to lose any of my work or other files in my Home Folder, and I also want to change the size of this partition slightly.

Can anyone recommend the best process for this? I'm under the impression that if I install #! form a Live CD, it will wipe everything I have there at the moment, I find copying and replacing my Home folder using an external HD time consuming and fairly inelegant.

Is it recommended to create a new partition solely for my Home folder? Will this hook up into the OS seamlessly when I upgrade in the future?

With new linux builds coming out every 6 months on average, I find I often want to upgrade my OS, and I still haven't worked out the best way to manage my files.

Any tips and advice for the perfect Linux setup would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Blaise.

earthpigg
October 19th, 2009, 01:54 PM
always back up your home prior to anything involving partitions, fresh installs, or upgrades. period.

not that that's done:

during the 'manually partition' phase, if you pick your current /home partition during the install and set it's mount point to /home and 'do not partition', then theoretically it will remain intact.

if you do NOT have a /home partition currently and want to set one up in conjunction with a fresh install:

-back up your /home.
-do the above.
-move the backed up /home over to your new /home partition.

MelDJ
October 19th, 2009, 01:58 PM
if you install ubuntu with wubi, keep your songs, pictures, etc, in host. that makes it a lot safer in case ubuntu crashes, your files will be safe.