PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can you upgrade a beta to a final release?

OpenTangent
October 19th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Is it possible to update the beta release of Karmic Koala to release candidate and then to the final release when it's ready? I've messed some things up in v9.04 by playing around with KDE alongside Gnome so i want to do a clean install as soon as possible.

If it's not possible (or even not recommended) i'd rather just wait for the final release. I've played around with the beta in Virtualbox and as far as i'm concerned it's ready to install.

MelDJ
October 19th, 2009, 12:49 PM
it is

OpenTangent
October 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Is it done automatically through updates or is there a process i need to follow?

Sorry if these questions seem trivial, i just don't want to be stuck with "beta" aspects in the OS because i was too hasty.

MelDJ
October 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
edit

MelDJ
October 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM
you must go to system-administration-software sources. then under updates change release upgrades to normal. this will make ubuntu update every six months when a new release comes out

OpenTangent
October 19th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks for that

howefield
October 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Is it possible to update the beta release of Karmic Koala to release candidate and then to the final release when it's ready?

If you install the beta release as a clean install, (as you said) the software sources will default to Normal as per MelDJs post, you won't need to change anything, just keep updating as normal and you will have the full release.