PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome -> XFCE: Advice needed

Friqenstein
October 19th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Hello all,

I recently bought a new laptop (check out the Acer 3810/4810/5810 threads) and decided to install the JJv.9.04 instead of the HH.8.04 I was running on my old laptop.

Hardy was running quite nice save for just a few small thing that were more of an annoyance than a problem.
Jaunty seems to be pretty much the same. So far it proves to be stable enough for my liking, especially on this new laptop.

Ok, so I usually use the XFCE desktop (or FluxBox) but with this new laptop and new install, I decided to run with Gnome because I've not used it in quite some time. I always felt that Gnome (like KDE) was bloated and more of a "pretty" desktop than an efficient one. Now hold on... don't start flaming just yet. I'm not directly attacking you Gnome whores.
There are things I like about Gnome, and some I don't. But bottom line is I want to switch back to XFCE for personal reasons. So, on to my question:

Would it be better to do a fresh install with Xubuntu, or should I just install XFCE under my current Ubuntu JJv.9.04?
I'm of the mind to have a fresh clean install for a change like this. However, on my old laptop (which was running HHv.8.04) I used the regular Ubuntu which obviously installs Gnome by default. After I had installed the basis OS, I installed XFCE then continue with all system updates and whatnot.
Just want some suggestions. I know it pretty much doesn't make a difference one way or the other, but I did notice that while using XFCE and installing apps via Synaptic, a majority of them never made it to the programs menu. I manually edited my menu so that I could have it functional as well as more aesthetically pleasing to my usage/nature.

Please advise.
Thanks.