PDA

View Full Version : I'm building a rig - What works well?

Tux.Ice
October 19th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I'm going to be building a computer, for Ubuntu + Win7.

Specs:
-Core i7 or Core 2 (Is it worth it to get the i7?)
-Asus Motherboard
-1TB Hitachi disk drive (Already got this)
-Blu-Ray Reader+DVD R/W+CD R/W Combo Drive (Does Ubuntu have Blu-Ray support?)
-Some sort of PSU
-A videocard (Compiz+Watching Movies+Rendering what will work best on Ubuntu + Win7?)

And, thats about all. How much RAM is a good idea? (I'm thinking 2-4GB Dual Channel?)

Also, Budget is ~$1000CAD.

edin9
October 19th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I'm going to be building a computer, for Ubuntu + Win7.

Specs:
-Asus Motherboard
-1TB Hitachi disk drive (Already got this)
-Some sort of PSU
-A videocard (Compiz+Watching Movies+Rendering what will work best on Ubuntu + Win7?)

And, thats about all. How much RAM is a good idea? (I'm thinking 2-4GB Dual Channel?)

For the GPU a nVIDIA GTX2xx.

Bachstelze
October 19th, 2009, 03:51 AM

Depends what you want to do. If you're asking at all, I guess you don't need an i7. You would know if you did.

No, and it will probably neve have it. However, you can rip your discs and play the rips.

nvidia. ATi is not quite there yet.

About the RAM, you should be fine with 2 GB. However, RAM is cheap and having more never hurts.

edin9
October 19th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Depends what you want to do. If you're asking at all, I guess you don't need an i7. You would know if you did.

No, and it will probably neve have it. However, you can rip your discs and play the rips.

nvidia. ATi is not quite there yet.

About the RAM, you should be fine with 2 GB. However, RAM is cheap and having more never hurts.

Above 2 GB is pretty pointless unless you're going to be encoding or music editing.

Tux.Ice
October 19th, 2009, 03:53 AM
By, "You can play the rips" I assume you mean rips of DVD's, not Blu-ray disks.

Also, My budget is $1000CAD. :(

Bachstelze
October 19th, 2009, 03:54 AM
By, "You can play the rips" I assume you mean rips of DVD's, not Blu-ray disks.

You asked about Blu-rays, so I was talking about Blu-rays.

Tux.Ice
October 19th, 2009, 03:58 AM
So, I can put a Blu-Ray disk in this computer, in Ubuntu, rip it. Then, play the rip in the same quality as the original DVD?

Bachstelze
October 19th, 2009, 03:59 AM
So, I can put a Blu-Ray disk in my computer, in Ubuntu, rip it. Then, play the rip in the same quality as the original DVD?

Yes. I'm not going to tell you how, though.

kavon89
October 19th, 2009, 04:01 AM
You should be able to build a sub $1000 Core i7 system like my friend did. It's a better idea to invest big if you can afford it, the i7 will last you a _very_ long time.

EDIT: Also, if you're going with the i7, you should have three sticks of ram set up in a tri-channel configuration, so you'll want at least 3GB.

PurposeOfReason
October 19th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Go for i5, not i7. Besides that, you'd need to say what you want it for.

Tux.Ice
October 19th, 2009, 04:06 AM

Blast!

Warpnow
October 19th, 2009, 04:21 AM
You should be able to build a sub $1000 Core i7 system like my friend did. It's a better idea to invest big if you can afford it, the i7 will last you a _very_ long time.

EDIT: Also, if you're going with the i7, you should have three sticks of ram set up in a tri-channel configuration, so you'll want at least 3GB.

Its smart only if you want. Its not objectively better. :-p

6 month older technology usually costs two thirds or less of new technology.

That said, if I had the cash, I'd build a top of the line system.

If I were on a budget, the new wolfdale dual core celerons sell for $50 and bench with the e5xx series of core 2 duos.

3rdalbum
October 19th, 2009, 05:00 AM
If you can afford an i7, LGA1366 motherboard and three sticks of DDR3, then go for the i7. Otherwise you may still find the Core 2 Quads to be good processors.

Blu-ray discs can be ripped and then played, but only if they use decryption keys that have already been discovered. It's a little more complicated than that, but all the keys found by the open-source community have been revoked and can't be used to decrypt discs from this year.

Having said that, there is a closed-source Linux program now that can often decrypt discs.

Grifulkin
October 19th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Personally I wouldn't buy an Intel but I doubt you are going to to be needing and i7, so got with the Core 2. Definitely nvidia for graphics with Intel processors. I made the mistake of doing AMD and Nvidia never making that mistake again, next card is definitely going to be ATI.

OmegaAI
October 19th, 2009, 05:16 AM
If it is an I7, you can only go in 3GB incriments. I suggest 6GB (2GBx3).

AllRadioisDead
October 19th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Personally I wouldn't buy an Intel but I doubt you are going to to be needing and i7, so got with the Core 2. Definitely nvidia for graphics with Intel processors. I made the mistake of doing AMD and Nvidia never making that mistake again, next card is definitely going to be ATI.
What's wrong with Nvidia+AMD?

Exodist
October 19th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Any dual core AMD or Intel Core2 Chip will work fine.
Any quality Mobo.
Standard DVD-Burner will work fine, no need for blueray yet.
4GB of DDR2 works great.
ATI runs cooler and last longer, nVidia is more compatible but runs way to hot.

Here is my basic setup which I am happy with.
AMD64 X2 6000+ AM2 CPU, Dual Core 3GHz per core.
Biostar TF560 A2+ Mobo
PNY Optima 4GB DDR2-800, 1GB per chip.
WD Raptor 74GB(system) + WD Caviar 320GB(/home)
SB Audigy2 Sound Card
ATI RadeonHD 4850
LiteOn DVD Burner

My system is borderline overkill in my honest opinion.

I would recomend not wasting all your cash on your CPU and save some money for a very large LCD and a quality keyboard & mouse.

PurposeOfReason
October 19th, 2009, 05:29 AM
If it is an I7, you can only go in 3GB incriments. I suggest 6GB (2GBx3).
False.

You do not need to run tri channel. Also, it's three stick increments not 3GB. What about 4GB sticks? That's not a 3GB increment.

Skripka
October 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Yep. If the OP is from the US, he'll be violating ...oh, about 5 or so major copyright laws....and need a good comfort with the terminal...and a LOT of luck. The OP should see the (very outdated) Ubuntu Wiki for info on the topic.

Grifulkin
October 19th, 2009, 05:37 AM

I just find from my personal experience that they don't clash as well as Intel/Nvidia or AMD/ATI now that the same company owns AMD and ATI it would make sense they would work the best together.

Skripka
October 19th, 2009, 05:37 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Love my Franken-CPU and Nvidia.

Skripka
October 19th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I just find from my personal experience that they don't clash as well as Intel/Nvidia or AMD/ATI now that the same company owns AMD and ATI it would make sense they would work the best together.

Maybe if you're running Windows, which doesn't have the ATi Parker Brothers Driver Writing Division writing drivers...unlike say Linux, which does.

PS-Intel mainboards supports both AMD and Nvidia multi-GPU arrays.

starcannon
October 19th, 2009, 05:41 AM
For the GPU a nVIDIA GTX2xx.
+1
Nvidia for the GPU is a good choice.

I recommend avoiding ATi, they have a long ways to go with their proprietary Linux drivers, the ATi FOSS drivers are bunk.

Additionally, 650watts or better for the Power Supply.

PurposeOfReason
October 19th, 2009, 05:42 AM
+1
Nvidia for the GPU

Additionally, 650watts or better for the Power Supply.
Based on what? He's listed no parts.

Skripka
October 19th, 2009, 05:44 AM

He quoted a GTX2XX card...and they like having juice.

starcannon
October 19th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Based on the power consumption of most modern CPU's and most modern GPU's. What decade are you building new systems in? Good grief, I know you guys at linsux.org are bored, but seriously, isn't this pushing it a bit?

PurposeOfReason
October 19th, 2009, 05:48 AM
He quoted a GTX2XX card...and they like having juice.

Based on the power consumption of most modern CPU's and most modern GPU's. What decade are you building new systems in? Good grief, I know you guys at linsux.org are bored, but seriously, isn't this pushing it a bit?
One, I'm not from linsux, good job on looking at posts and date joined.

Two, I build computers for a living, you can get a i7 and gtx260 going on a good 500watt psu. I don't normally "go there" but I'm pretty sure I know a lot more about building computers than most here. Scratch that, I've BUILT an I7 rig with a gtx285 that a corsair 520PSU tackled with grace.

Grifulkin
October 19th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Maybe if you're running Windows, which doesn't have the ATi Parker Brothers Driver Writing Division writing drivers...unlike say Linux, which does.

PS-Intel mainboards supports both AMD and Nvidia multi-GPU arrays.

Sadly I am on windows right now, my XP Jaunty dual boot seems to boot into XP way more often just because Skype isn't as good, and my webcam sucks on Jaunty for somereason, so yeah if I want to see my girlfriend while we are apart I have use XP.:(

Skripka
October 19th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Two, I build computers for a living, you can get a i7 and gtx260 going on a good 500watt psu. I don't normally "go there" but I'm pretty sure I know a lot more about building computers than most here. Scratch that, I've BUILT an I7 rig with a gtx285 that a corsair 520PSU tackled with grace.

Did ya overclock it?

PurposeOfReason
October 19th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Did ya overclock it?
Did you read the overclock thread? I always oc. That's where it gets to AMPs and a good quality PSU.

Frak
October 19th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I know you guys at linsux.org are bored, but seriously, isn't this pushing it a bit?

My recommendations:
Core i5
Try to fill all 3 slots with equal RAM. RAM is cheap, and there's no need letting all that performance go to waste.
Don't go for a Core 2 since they are nearing obsoletion.
If you're using Linux, stick with Nvidia. Else, go for ATi. They're really doing well on their new drivers (ever since AMD took over).
At least a 500 Watt PSU.

starcannon
October 19th, 2009, 06:25 AM
My recommendations:
Core i5
Try to fill all 3 slots with equal RAM. RAM is cheap, and there's no need letting all that performance go to waste.
If you're using Linux, stick with Nvidia. Else, go for ATi. They're really doing well on their new drivers (ever since AMD took over).
At least a 500 Watt PSU.

Undervolt your gear if you choose, it kills motherboards, ram, hard disk drives, and gpu's. 500watts is not a realistic minimum by today's hardware standards. I consider 650 to be anemic, but "good enough", I personally build with nothing less than 750watts with "modern hardware".

Frak
October 19th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Undervolt your gear if you choose, it kills motherboards, ram, hard disk drives, and gpu's. 500watts is not a realistic minimum by today's hardware standards. I consider 650 to be anemic, but "good enough", I personally build with nothing less than 750watts with "modern hardware".
NOTICE THE WORDING HERE: "At least"

Is he going for gaming worthy hardware, not that I can see. 750 is just overkill, and would put a hefty penalty on the power bill.

schauerlich
October 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Good grief, I know you guys at linsux.org are bored, but seriously, isn't this pushing it a bit?

I lol'd.

PurposeOfReason
October 19th, 2009, 06:51 AM
We should just go for a happy medium for the psu watts. It's a religious war just as bad as where the { should go in an if-statement or emacs/vim.

PS: Vim and

if (asdfasdfasdf)
{
asdfa asdf
asdf
asdf
}

kpholmes
October 19th, 2009, 09:29 AM
My recommendations:
Core i5
At least a 500 Watt PSU.

I agree. At first I wanted an i7 but realistically If I wanted to upgrade my process a core i5 would be strong enough and blazing fast. Right now I have a core 2 and it's fast, don't get me wrong but they are going to be discontinued soon and if you want your computer to last more then 2 to 3 years and still be "current" it's going to be best to get an i5.

Exodist
October 19th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Seen a lot of folks talk about power supplies here.

The big catch with power supplies is to not always go by the average wattage advertised but more by the quality of the PSU. I have seen cheap PSU advertise 400watts and not hold up the load while some older quality 250-300w PSUs work without any issues. A 575-725watt PSU that is a quality brand would be a better investment then a cheap 800watt from some off the wall company.

EDIT:
Also in regards to the number of cores you need for Linux. Although the kernel and most all multimedia applications are wrote for SMP many of programs still are not. Also trust me MP3s playing dont pull that much juice. I would go for the fastest dual core CPU you can get that has a good amount of cash and in many real world applications it will perform faster.

3rdalbum
October 19th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I've got a quality 620w PSU running two DVD drives, two HDDs, an overclocked 65nm Core 2 and a GTX260 as well as a couple of interesting USB devices and a motherboard that has quite a few things on it. The system is as solid under load as anything I've seen. Okay, the i7s probably use more electricity, but I'm sure they're not using as much electricity as a Pentium 4.

CP1256
October 19th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I see everyone recommends nVidia over ATI, though the newest ATI driver works very well. I got an ATI 4550 and with the new 9.9 driver everything works without any problems.

It works even better then the driver Ubuntu gives you.

kpholmes
October 19th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I see everyone recommends nVidia over ATI, though the newest ATI driver works very well. I got an ATI 4550 and with the new 9.9 driver everything works without any problems.

It works even better then the driver Ubuntu gives you.

i got 2 ati 4890's sitting in my closet while i use a nvidia 7 series.
:(

hopefully 9.10 might have a fix

if you buy ati, make sure that its *fully* supported. or you will have $400 worth of hardware that wastes away, even though it says it supports linux on the box! just double check before you buy.