PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A fix for AWN-Manager

jarame
October 19th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Hello guys and girls! My laptop JUST decided to eat both the Windows Vista and Ubuntu OS's so now I'm on a desktop computer with Ubuntu 9.04.

I actually just downloaded AWN-Manager only to find out that it wouldnt work because of some Compiz (-fusion) error. After searching the forums I came to the conclusion that there wasn't a fix for this, so I went and nabbed a different dock Program.

Alas! There is a fix for AWN-Manager (should work on all computers) but it just seems redundant. But just so you know this is what I did:

1. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CairoDock

2. Follow the instructions for installation then start Cairo Dock. It'll be under Applications>System Tools> Cairo-Dock.

3. When you start it it'll appear with a crappy looking dock at the bottom encased in a black rectangle. And a pop-up window will tell you about this issue and offer to enable Desktop Effects.

4. Click on yes (either "yes", "ok", or a green check mark will appear). And AWN-Manager will pop up along with Cairo.

You'll have to play around with the right clicking to close out of them one at a time, but now you have two docks installed as well as desktop effects.

This is just what I did, but now I got AWN-Manager. I haven't tried to uninstall Cairo because I'm not sure how that'll affect the Decktop Effects. :] Let me know if this works.

fabounet
October 19th, 2009, 11:24 AM
indeed, installing Cairo-Dock is the best fix you can imagine for AWN :-D )
(just kidding ;-) )

jarame
October 19th, 2009, 05:47 PM
indeed, installing Cairo-Dock is the best fix you can imagine for AWN :-D )
(just kidding ;-) )

well unfortunately it's the only one i've found. everyone has been saying things about video cards and "desktops cannot enable desktop effects"....this what I did and it worked. But as I said, it's a redundant solution but at least you get it fixed. Am I right or am I right? Lol