PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server Edition 9.04

mtmouse33
October 19th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Greetings.

I am pretty new to Unix / etc and so far am learning a little each time I try and understand one guide or another that I think would be good to follow, but then I run into parts that I am confused about or have no clue what to do with.

So, I shall start at the beginning.

I have an old desktop that I am wanting to use as a home network / server. According to my ISP, I had to purchase an IP block ( I could of asked for one IP ... but will explain )

I downloaded and successfully installed the Server Edition and had pre-installed DNS Server, LAMP Server, Mail Server, OpenSSH and Samba.

What I would like to do is thus:

Be able to connect two laptops / 1 desktop / 2 externals through the server to share files and whatnot.

Run simple website.
Run simple mail server

Allow remote access to server ( to access computers on network if needed )

Run small scale IRC.

I have succeeded in getting as far as getting OpenSSH operational and was working on mail server following this : http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/#install
Stopped at SSH Only section that states "Then we will configure network zones"

I have a domain name I'd like to point to my system to use for e-mail / website. At this point I am pretty lost on how to get things working.

I am comfortable with windows ... and have no clue what I am doing with Unix and would be happy to maybe have someone be willing to help me get everything configured correctly and secured.

Thank you.

mtmouse33
October 19th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Figured I'd bump my own thead.
9 views and not even a peep. Someone was reading the post at least. :)

Mighty_Joe
October 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM
9 views and not even a peep.

Your best bet is to ask a clear, concise question (http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html). Your original post goes in several different directions.

mtmouse33
October 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Your best bet is to ask a clear, concise question (http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html). Your original post goes in several different directions.

Exactly how much clearer would you like it? I have read through various posts. Some with detailed, drawn out posts ... that get answered. Those with short posts get a thousand and one questions. I answered the pretty obvious ones. ( Explained in detail what I had for a layout, what I was after in regards to help and what I had done thusfar )

But, I guess I will attempt to clear it up:

What I would like to do is thus:

Be able to connect two laptops / 1 desktop / 2 externals through the server to share files and whatnot. ( I assume this is what the file server feature is, correct? )

A. Looking for detailed instructions for a beginner to set-up file server.

Run simple website. ( This would be LAMP & DNS Server, correct? )

B. Looking for detailed instructions for a beginner to setup website.

Run simple mail server

C. To go with above (B) looking for instructions to setup mail server.

There was other questions, but I am guessing that confused the group. So I will stick with these as they seem to go in the same direction.