PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu on dell inspiron

rizwanhudda
October 19th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I m planning to install ubuntu on my dell inspiron 1545 laptop. Please give me a list of to-dos after installing OS for installing the drivers. The specs of my laptop are:

processor - Intel core 2 duo cpu T6400 @ 2.00 Ghz
memory - 2 Gb x 2 - DDR2 SD RAM
storage - 320 Gb seagate SATA hard disk.
network - Intel wifi 5100 AGN.
Audio device - IDT high definition audio codec.
Display adapter - ATI mobility Raedon HD 4330.
Mouse pointing device - dell touchpad [ Alps electric ]

My laptop currently has Windows vista home basic, I have used ubuntu in past on my desktop. But,it was like 2 years back. Now, i want to make a partial switch to ubuntu. I intend to use ubuntu as my primary OS after re-install so,give me the instructions to install drivers for my laptop. And, basic softwares for everyday usage.

I intend to use my laptop for playing videos/audio,Creating presentations/reports,browsing net[i use tata indicom photon plus],reading e-books,Writing code in c/c++/java/perl/python/pike,playing games,maintaining contacts,using chat clients[Gtalk],...etc..etc..

HELP!HELP!
thanks in advance....

rizwanhudda
October 19th, 2009, 01:41 PM
[In case this thread is going un-noticed]
Some one please help..

Bartender
October 19th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Google and search on this forum for your model of computer. It's been discussed. There's a Dell support section here at Ubuntu Forums, and there's also a Dell Forum you can sign up with. They have a Linux section.

How many partitions does your laptop have right now, and what kind? I get the impression that Dells often come with 4 primary partitions, so there's your first order of business.