PDA

View Full Version : A radio station has started playing christmas music...

sports fan Matt
October 19th, 2009, 01:24 AM
In Austin, Texas USA, on HD we have...http://www.1035bobfm.com/christmaschannel.aspx

Bob FM'S Christmas Channel...am I the only one thinking "why this early"?

dragos240
October 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Hmm.... that's pretty odd. They should be playing something like Halloween music.

sports fan Matt
October 19th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Its a big regular signal, covering both Austin and the Northern Suburbs of San Antonio

|Mitch|
October 19th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I'd say that's just a tad bit early. Thought it was the first day after Thanksgiving everyone went holiday season crazy?

sports fan Matt
October 19th, 2009, 01:34 AM
So did I...Apparently I'm wrong. :lolflag:

|Mitch|
October 19th, 2009, 01:44 AM
heh, I'd hate to have to start hearing Christmas music this early. I have a hard enough time hearing Rudolph for the whole month of December as it is.

stuart.reinke
October 19th, 2009, 01:52 AM
heh, i'd hate to have to start hearing christmas music this early. I have a hard enough time hearing rudolph for the whole month of december as it is.

+1,000 :)

Ric_NYC
October 19th, 2009, 02:11 AM
The torture started so early... Why?

The same songs over and over...

I think they are trying to brainwash the people in that area.

HermanAB
October 19th, 2009, 02:13 AM
This macabre obsession with the birth and gory death of a late bronze age war god is really strange to those not living in the USA.

forrestcupp
October 19th, 2009, 02:17 AM
They should play it year 'round. Everything's bigger in Texas, right?

Jesus_Valdez
October 19th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I went to a mall today and they already have Santas and Christmas stuff on the stands.

I live in a border town in Mexico, Texas is like, around the corner.

xuCGC002
October 19th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I walked into the Alderwood mall and was greeted by winter holiday decor.

It's just too early.

PurposeOfReason
October 19th, 2009, 04:05 AM
At Target we started Christmas on October 1st. . .

Dullstar
October 19th, 2009, 04:12 AM
From what I can tell, they do this stuff earlier every year. Christmas in July should arrive any time now...

|Mitch|
October 19th, 2009, 04:16 AM
It's all about making more money. The sooner they can label it "The Holiday Season" the quicker we start "Christmas shopping". That's how I see it anyway...

dominiquec
October 19th, 2009, 04:20 AM
That's nothing. Here in the Philippines, they start playing Christmas songs in September, reason being it's already the -ber months. It drives me nuts.

Oh, and Wham's "Last Christmas" is a perennial favorite here. Aaargh!

zmjjmz
October 19th, 2009, 04:23 AM
I saw Christmas stuff at a local CVS, and I'm in NJ. It's like Halloween has failed to exist this year.

pwnst*r
October 19th, 2009, 04:23 AM
In Austin, Texas USA, on HD we have...http://www.1035bobfm.com/christmaschannel.aspx

Bob FM'S Christmas Channel...am I the only one thinking "why this early"?

yeah, but it's a dedicated channel. if it were a normal radio station and they started throwing in bits of christmas music, that'd be different.

sports fan Matt
October 19th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Yeah, but still...it's too early

Mr. Picklesworth
October 19th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Oh no, UDS is in Texas. I may have to cancel for fear of being driven insane :P

running_rabbit07
October 19th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Home Depot already has all of their Christmas stuff out on display. Only in America, right?

tom66
October 19th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Tesco have started advertising... in October.

And they admit, "Yes, we know it's only October, but Christmas comes early at Tesco."

Just a commercialized holiday, nothing much left of it.

pwnst*r
October 19th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Yeah, but still...it's too early

oh i'm not disagreeing one bit. christmas needs to f*** off until 12/01.

running_rabbit07
October 19th, 2009, 03:16 PM

No doubt. It is stressful enough to worry for the 25 days if one will be getting his/her kids what they want, much less pondering the idea for 3 months. They can extend the season all they want, there is still only the same amount in the budget for the holiday.

NCLI
October 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Why would you want Christmas on January 12th? :p

(Yes, I am aware of the fact that this is how dates work in the US, I just find it incredibly illogical and can't help commenting on it when I see it. It's DD/MM/YYYY in Europe, so from smallest to largest, YYYY/MM/DD in Asia, so from biggest to smallest, and MM/DD/YYYY in the US, so.... WTF?) [/rant]

sports fan Matt
October 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Agreed, and at least in the US (and most likely worldwide) with the current economy, I suspect budgets will be small.

NoaHall
October 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM

(Yes, I am aware of the fact that this is how dates work in the US, I just find it incredibly illogical and can't help commenting on it when I see it. It's DD/MM/YYYY in Europe, so from smallest to largest, YYYY/MM/DD in Asia, so from biggest to smallest, and MM/DD/YYYY in the US, so.... WTF?) [/rant]

+ 647887

It just doesn't make sense. Shows what American mathematicians are like, eh.

running_rabbit07
October 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Not true, the US military goes YYYYMMDDHHHH.

Danny Dubya
October 19th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Hey, who needs logic when you have one of the greatest militaries and stockpiles of nuclear weapons in the world?

running_rabbit07
October 19th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hey, who needs logic when you have one of the greatest militaries and stockpiles of nuclear weapons in the world?

:lolflag:

jwbrase
October 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM
This macabre obsession with the birth and gory death of a late bronze age war god is really strange to those not living in the USA.

Christmas in the USA hasn't had much to do with said "late bronze age war god" for decades (it would be a better holiday if it did). It now is more a symbol of the worship of an early information age deity whose symbol is the "$".

jwbrase
October 19th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Home Depot already has all of their Christmas stuff out on display. Only in America, right?

Wrong. The infection has spread at least as far as Europe. I'm doing an exchange year in Germany, and went out to buy groceries today. And there were chocolate Santa's and all kinds of other Christmas stuff. I was quite dismayed to see that that trend had followed (or more likely preceded) me across the Atlantic.

starcannon
October 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM
/shrug, I have know a few people that listen to christmas music year round, just because they like it. I personally find the carols to be old and tired by Dec. 26th, but can tolerate them until Jan 1, the same day the tree goes out to the front yard.

As far as "over commercialization", this has been an ongoing thing with x-mas and the retail industry here in the U.S. for as long as I can remember. My folks used to tell me legends about how x-mas was not mentioned among retailers until the day after Thanksgiving, but I think those were just stories they made up to make us feel less scared when Santa started passing out candy on Oct 31.

GL and HF

running_rabbit07
October 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM
/shrug, I have know a few people that listen to christmas music year round, just because they like it. I personally find the carols to be old and tired by Dec. 26th, but can tolerate them until Jan 1, the same day the tree goes out to the front yard.

As far as "over commercialization", this has been an ongoing thing with x-mas and the retail industry here in the U.S. for as long as I can remember. My folks used to tell me legends about how x-mas was not mentioned among retailers until the day after Thanksgiving, but I think those were just stories they made up to make us feel less scared when Santa started passing out candy on Oct 31.

GL and HF

I guilty of singing "Frosty the Snowman" when it is over 110 degrees out, remixing "White Christmas," and singing "Jingle Bells" at random moments.

jwbrase
October 19th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Well, largely because that's the way we say it when we aren't writing the month as a number "December 1st, 2009" becomes "12/1/09". As to why we say it that way, who knows? Perhaps because English can't decide whether to be head first or head final (AKA, right or left branching (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branching_(linguistics)))

Ric_NYC
October 19th, 2009, 08:58 PM
They are skipping Halloween and Thanksgiving.

End of times...