PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Python class doesn't work if included as module.

OpenGuard
October 18th, 2009, 11:40 PM
ID3Reader.py

import ID3Data

song = ID3("/home/user/song.mp3")

ID3Data.py

class ID3:

def __init__(self, file):
print "File:", file

NameError: name 'ID3' is not defined

What's wrong ?

NoaHall
October 18th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Error comes from running ID3Data.py or ID3Reader.py? It works for me using python from terminal - haven't tried using files yet though.

OpenGuard
October 18th, 2009, 11:47 PM
From ID3Reader ( ID3Data is meant to be a module ).

NoaHall
October 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM
import ID3Data
from ID3Data import *

Try that

Bachstelze
October 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM
song = ID3Data.ID3("/home/user/song.mp3")

NoaHall
October 18th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Why did you delete my posts and my correct answer?

OpenGuard
October 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Thank you, tough, it resulted in a new error ..

ID3Reader.py

from ID3Data import *

ID3.readData()ID3Data.py

class ID3:

self.file = file

def readData(self):
print "Reading .."

TypeError: unbound method readData() must be called with ID3 instance as first argument (got nothing instead)Any ideas ?

Bachstelze
October 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Why did you delete my posts and my correct answer?

Your answer was not correct.

OpenGuard
October 18th, 2009, 11:59 PM

It was correct ( at least to some point ), not to mention the fact that you've no rights to do what you just did. Sad ..

Bachstelze
October 19th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Thank you, tough, it resulted in a new error ..

ID3Reader.py

from ID3Data import *

ID3.readData()ID3Data.py

class ID3:

self.file = file

def readData(self):
print "Reading .."

TypeError: unbound method readData() must be called with ID3 instance as first argument (got nothing instead)Any ideas ?

1) Do not use from module import *. Doing so is bad practice, as it will pollute your namespace.

2)

import ID3Data

song.readData()

OpenGuard
October 19th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Thank you - works like a charm :) Regarding "bad practices" - not an easy task for a beginner.

NoaHall
October 19th, 2009, 12:03 AM
How, in what sense was it incorrect(I would like to know, I don't know much python), and on what grounds does that give you permission to delete my posts? I've submitted a complaint. You seem to have it out for me, when I'm not doing anything other than what I should be.

Can+~
October 19th, 2009, 12:45 AM
1) Do not use from module import *. Doing so is bad practice, as it will pollute your namespace.

2)

import ID3Data

song.readData()

It's a bad practice when it isn't necessary. But if is a class you made, or have a name that will probably not clash with others, and you'll probably use it a lot, then it's completely acceptable.

When working with Opengl, for example, it's better to use that, otherwise the whole code will be filled with "OpenGL.DoStuff()".

And doesn't give you the right to delete a response, anyway.

Bachstelze
October 19th, 2009, 02:46 AM
It's a bad practice when it isn't necessary. But if is a class you made, or have a name that will probably not clash with others, and you'll probably use it a lot, then it's completely acceptable.

When working with Opengl, for example, it's better to use that, otherwise the whole code will be filled with "OpenGL.DoStuff()".

And doesn't give you the right to delete a response, anyway.

True, but someone as the OP who's not familiar with the language could easily make that mistake of creating objects whose names will clash with others. One could argue that one learns by making such mistakes, but I think it's better to stay on the safe side. The OP will have plenty of time to learn about that.

nvteighen
October 19th, 2009, 07:58 AM

That's not a reason to use mod powers and delete posts, you know. It was no harmful information nor anything against the CoC.

ajackson
October 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM
True, but someone as the OP who's not familiar with the language could easily make that mistake of creating objects whose names will clash with others. One could argue that one learns by making such mistakes, but I think it's better to stay on the safe side. The OP will have plenty of time to learn about that.
Then you point out why that approach can be a bad way of solving the problem rather than deleting the post in question or are all posts to be vetted by yourself to ensure they solve it the way you would?