PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome Panels and Compositing Manager not loading

chinmaya.karekar
October 18th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Hello all, it seems that my Ubuntu 8.04 is having some serious issues. Any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

When I start my system (I have XP/Ubuntu dual boot), I get the following error:

Warning: Screen isn't composited. Please run compiz (-fusion) or another compositing manager.

After that the nothing happens. I can't even run Alt+F2. The Gnome Panels don't come up... :( I can get nothing done.

I think it's something to do with Compiz and AWN. AWN did work for a few days, but this happened all of a sudden.

The only thing I can open in Ubuntu is Firefox and that too because I have a shortcut for it on my laptop.

Alternatively, I am thinking of doing a full system reinstall, but I need to recover my data from this Ubuntu installation. I tried booting using the Ubuntu Live CD, but I cannot copy files to an external hard drive as it gives me error saying I don't have permission to copy files.

Please help...

mikewhatever
October 18th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Can you make a launcher(same as shortcut) for the Terminal on the Desktop by right clicking, and then Create a launcher? If that dialog comes up, the command is gnome-terminal, then launch it and run 'metacity --replace' without the quotes.

chinmaya.karekar
October 19th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Can you make a launcher(same as shortcut) for the Terminal on the Desktop by right clicking, and then Create a launcher? If that dialog comes up, the command is gnome-terminal, then launch it and run 'metacity --replace' without the quotes.
Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, nothing happens when I right-click on the desktop. Also, I forgot to mention that my desktop icons don't show up. There were a couple of files on the desktop, I'm sure of that... :o