PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant browse but can connect to wireless network

jack_the_lad
October 18th, 2009, 08:21 PM
So i have 9.04 ubuntu installed with dual booting with win xp. On win xp i must set my ip adress as 192.168.1.x, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway as 192.168.1.1 and manually configure dns servers to browse. It works perfectly.

In ubuntu I can see my network and when I try to connect it asks me for a key. I put the key and then it says that I'm connected but when I open firefox I cant browse anything. Also I cannot ping 192.168.1.1. Can someone tell me what to do? Do I have to install drivers for wireless usb adapter?

ajgreeny
October 18th, 2009, 09:57 PM
If you can see the router then it's not a driver issue, but probably a security keyword/password issue. WEP or WPA? Perhaps you need to use the encrypted version of the keyword you entered. There seem to have been a few posts on this subject just in the last few days.

jack_the_lad
October 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
i have a WPA-PSK key and i realized that when i enter correct key and connect to my network and when i click edit connection and go to wpa key that the key is protected with ***'s and when i click on show key it shows some random set of characters that has nothing to do with my network key also when enter dhcp wlan0 the result is wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801.

also when i reset my connection it sometimes loads my login page with user: password: fields for my router (the 192.168.1.1 page in firefox) it loads it only once. i don't know what to do. please help

jack_the_lad
October 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
If you can see the router then it's not a driver issue, but probably a security keyword/password issue. WEP or WPA? Perhaps you need to use the encrypted version of the keyword you entered. There seem to have been a few posts on this subject just in the last few days.

are you sure its a password protection issue because network manager tells me i'm connected every time. i think that some other process is blocking connection or something.

jack_the_lad
October 18th, 2009, 11:58 PM
solved this with compat-wireless-2.6.30.tar.bz2 update

david-emm
October 19th, 2009, 06:15 AM
This is the same problem that I'm having right now. You have solved your with compat-wireless-2.6.30.tar.bz2 update. I'm loath to put this in blind so to speak on my system so can you tell me what (who) pointed you to this solution. Thanks

jack_the_lad
October 22nd, 2009, 12:13 AM
sorry for such a long delay.

check out http://linuxwireless.org/ i remember that that page was very useful