PDA

View Full Version : How Come When You Go to the Store They Always

winotree
October 18th, 2009, 06:48 PM
How come when you go to the store they always stack the sliced deli meats and cheeses on their edges? Why can't they lay them flat? :-k And when did they change the rules about the gallon of milk and start putting it on its side instead of upright? :o

I'm not talking about any certain age group doing it, or any particular store doing it, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one or does it bother you, too? What bothers you about the apparent lack of, or disinterest in, service in stores these days? ;)

EDIT - I'm talking about items placed in your bag at checkout, not on display. [Sorry]

juancarlospaco
October 18th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Buy the food on Ebay :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
How come when you go to the store they always stack the sliced deli meats and cheeses on their edges? Why can't they lay them flat? :-k

I think this has to do with display space for the large number of deli products. Also if you lay them flat, people will move the stacks around and mix them up.

And when did they change the rules about the gallon of milk and start putting it on its side instead of upright? :o

That makes it harder to get to the one on the bottom in the back with the longest expiration date.

I'm not talking about any certain age group doing it, or any particular store doing it, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one or does it bother you, too? What bothers you about the apparent lack of, or disinterest in, service in stores these days? ;)

Providing service requires more employees. Grocery stores don't make very much profit in the best of times. It is harder than ever right now.

You're just gonna hafta hunker down and live with it, Tex. :)

winotree
October 18th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Oh. I meant in your bag at the checkout! Would have helped to include that bit of information first... :???:

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 18th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Oh. I meant in your bag at the checkout! Would have helped to include that bit of information first... :???:

:) OK then.

When I was a kid in the 1960's, and worked in a grocery store, we learned to pack one of those paper bags that were used back then as full as possible.

These days, with the plastic bags, they don't seem to know how to do that. I could get what is usually put in three plastic bags into a single paper bag. However, a plastic bag would probably break with a load like that. :)

I lived in Australia for a while. We brought our own reusable bags with us when we went shopping. It was quite normal not to use disposable bags. Mine was actually a backpack. I would like to see more of that in other parts of the globe. :)

suitedaces
October 18th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Because as a UK shop assistant, a lot of the time when I take care over packing bags, you can see the impatience growing.

You can have speed or you can have careful packing.

NCLI
October 18th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Why doesn't people just pack their own bags? We do that in Denmark, it's never been a problem.

LowSky
October 18th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Customer Service cost money. You want cheap food, then you don't get good store employees. Its why you only see teens and early 20's kids working retail, its why you have illegal immigrants working the kitchen in many restaurants, its why you have Walmart's instead of mom and pop stores.

If you want quality, you have to pay for it, and people have spoken that all they want is cheap ill made products from questionable factories from materials that are barely tested, made by cheap labor, sold by cheap labor.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 18th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Because as a UK shop assistant, a lot of the time when I take care over packing bags, you can see the impatience growing.

You can have speed or you can have careful packing.

That is very true.

It reflects back on one of my previous statements. In order to have speed you would need more queues/lanes operating and therefore more employees.

Providing service requires more employees. Grocery stores don't make very much profit in the best of times. It is harder than ever right now.

I can understand the frustration of people wanting to provide service to people; however, are not allowed to do so.

RaZe42
October 18th, 2009, 08:46 PM
This is totally alien to me, as we don't have any "packers" in Finland.

Bölvağur
October 18th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Why doesn't people just pack their own bags? We do that in Denmark, it's never been a problem.

in the countries I've lived in this has been the trend, where you can bring your own bag or box and fill it your self. The only supermarket where that has not been the trend is Colruyt where they have cheap labour filling the box you took along with you.
I do not see why anyone, with the capabilities, not wanting to put their own stuff in their bags.

winotree
October 18th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I agree about bagging your own groceries -- I often do it myself. ;) I also understand balancing the needs of the store against the needs of the shoppers; of price verses value [more shoppers equals more profit] but that it not not my argument. The apparent lackadaisical attitude others sometimes have with your food sometimes causes me, erm, concern. :-|

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 18th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Customer Service cost money. You want cheap food, then you don't get good store employees. Its why you only see teens and early 20's kids working retail, its why you have illegal immigrants working the kitchen in many restaurants, its why you have Walmart's instead of mom and pop stores.

If you want quality, you have to pay for it, and people have spoken that all they want is cheap ill made products from questionable factories from materials that are barely tested, made by cheap labor, sold by cheap labor.

I don't agree with everything you said; however, I do choose to shop at the "mom and pop stores". For example, I don't by my shirts from the big store chains. I get shirts from the "mom and pop stores" because they don't short on material, and I get shirts that cover my crack when I bend over. :)

The low cost items at the big chain store looks good for the short term. However, in the long term, buying good quality pays off long term. They last longer.

This is different from software, as hardware/materials wear out. FOSS works for software; however, I don't see it (low cost) working for products made from materials.

spoons
October 18th, 2009, 09:31 PM

If only common sense was common. In the UK the people seem to blame the government for all their problems.

blueshiftoverwatch
October 19th, 2009, 02:52 AM
And when did they change the rules about the gallon of milk and start putting it on its side instead of upright? :o
In Canada milk comes in bags (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_bag)!