PDA

View Full Version : IE 7 and Firefox

rado_london
February 14th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Hi boys I just installed IE 7 beta 2 on my brothers pc. Well I was amazed from few things. I was infront of a thing which was 90% as Firefox- toolbars, search thing in right, tabs, RSS. I know that MS can copy OSS but it is horrible.

What do you think?

Robgould
February 14th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Its what everyone does...copy what people like about the competition. Automobile manufacturers do it. MDF manufacturers do it. Food companies do it. Movies do it. Relax on the Microsoft thing. They are trying to make their product better by giving people what they like from other products. Even then they get bashed.

aysiu
February 14th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Hi boys The majority of the members here may be male, but about 4% of the forum membership is actually female. Let's not forget them, too.

I just installed IE 7 beta 2 on my brothers pc. Well I was amazed from few things. I was infront of a thing which was 90% as Firefox- toolbars, search thing in right, tabs, RSS. I know that MS can copy OSS but it is horrible. It's still ugly and not as fully functional as Firefox, no matter what they "copy." Firefox has so many extensions--how can Microsoft keep up?

rado_london
February 14th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Ooooops I say one big SORRY to all girls in this forums, I am guilty. About firefox it will be always more usable than IE.

alfonz
February 14th, 2006, 01:32 AM
They are affraid because they are starting to loose more and more of their users to FF so they are implementing similar features to gain them back, not me ;)

mstlyevil
February 14th, 2006, 01:43 AM
They are affraid because they are starting to loose more and more of their users to FF so they are implementing similar features to gain them back, not me ;)

Now if they just get rid of Active X and use W3C standards I just might consider using them in Windows again. (Might being the key word.)

xequence
February 14th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Why is it always copying from firefox? Maybe they copied from opera instead :P

alfonz
February 14th, 2006, 01:53 AM

Or maybe both combined ;)

poofyhairguy
February 14th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Did it slow down the computer you tried it on? It did for me.

As far as I am concerned, it shaping up to be the worst MS product in a LONG time.

Sirin
February 14th, 2006, 02:23 AM
IE7's RSS owns. There's not an EXTENSION in Firefox that can stand up to it. :twisted:

mstlyevil
February 14th, 2006, 02:24 AM

As far as I am concerned, it shaping up to be the worst MS product in a LONG time.

Does it compare to the lack of quality of ME?

Sheinar
February 14th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Considering Firefox is around ten times as popular as Opera and IE's main threat, it's more likely that Microsoft's main aim would be catching up with Firefox, which could mean copying from them. I doubt Opera is as much worry to them. Of course, they could be copying from Opera, or both, but I just can't imagine them sitting around going "Opera has this feature, so we must implement it too. Opera has lost us too much market-share as it is!" Replace it with Firefox, and it's a more likely scenario. Not saying I don't believe they've payed any attention to Opera, but like I said, I think they'd be paying more attention to Firefox.

Orunitia
February 14th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Woohoo, random MS bashing, gotta love it.

I tried IE7 a couple days ago, and it wasn't bad. (Certainly not "the worst MS product in a long time", gimme a break.)

mstlyevil
February 14th, 2006, 02:52 AM

I tried IE7 a couple days ago, and it wasn't bad. (Certainly not "the worst MS product in a long time", gimme a break.)

I wasn't bashing. I was trying to get an Idea if I wanted to install IE7 and play with it on my XP partition.

Rev. Nathan
February 14th, 2006, 02:54 AM
I just wish they would integrate new, unique features. Stuff that had yet to be done. Everything within the browser can be found in Firefox or Safari by default, with the execption of one feature, tab preview. Which was from AOL 9, and is an extension in Firefox! I mean, while it is well-intentioned, it just isn't as big of a leap as any previous version was; its just six with some keep-ups and more visual candy.

Orunitia
February 14th, 2006, 03:34 AM
I wasn't bashing. I was trying to get an Idea if I wanted to install IE7 and play with it on my XP partition.

Wasn't referring to you.

And go ahead and install it, it's better than IE6. Not like I'd make it my main browser if I used XP though. (I was playing with it on my mom's computer.)

poofyhairguy
February 14th, 2006, 03:40 AM

Each can have their own opinion. I'm not some random MS basher. I just think IE 7 is REALLY bad.

And let me say, I WAS looking forward to it. I tried it out because I want something like it to exist in the world. Even if I never use IE myself again, I was loving the idea of tabs on other computers that I might use (say at a computer lab or another person's house). I tried it out because of excitement.

And what did it give me?

A completely stripped interface that seemed to be a bad copy of Safari (which I also dislike). Goodbye home button. And lord forbid they add MORE to the toolbar like the search box that other browser users have been taking for granted for years.

And the tab set up is horrid as well. Its like they looked at how Epiphany (not Firefox) did tabs and said "we can do worse." I hate it.

Finally I looked for it to have IE 6's current saving grace (or thing its better at than Firefox)- speed. I loaded the same page in each browser on each one of my monitors. Time after time Firefox 1.5 rendered the page faster. IE 6 ALWAYS used to win that race. Now its ancestor can't even say that.

The great IE team that built the revolutionary IE 4-6 are long gone. They days when they had a browser far better than the competition are long gone. IE 7 is the worst MS product I have seen in a long time- partially because it did not hold up to my modest expectation and partially because I think its a step backwards. Firefox is the true browser that continues the lineage of IE 6. It is IE 7.

The real IE 7 is the worst Safari rip off possible.

poofyhairguy
February 14th, 2006, 03:45 AM
And go ahead and install it, it's better than IE6.

I 100% disagree. Use a IE 6 mod (like Maxthon) if you want IE with tabs.

IE 7 is a disgrace to MS.

poofyhairguy
February 14th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Does it compare to the lack of quality of ME?

I don't know....THATS a high water mark.

fuscia
February 14th, 2006, 04:47 AM
i'd rather have sex with **** cheney (even without his shotgun) than to ever use IE again. just my 2 cents worth.

Orunitia
February 14th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Maybe I need to try it longer than 5 minutes, but I did think it was better than IE6. Not great mind you, but not the worst thing MS has made.

What I didn't like is how they're getting rid of the menu bar on everything. It just seemed harder to find things.

And I should of looked at the username before saying random MS bashing. :P I know you're better than that.

BoyOfDestiny
February 14th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Ok, first off I'd like to say I haven't tried it, but I have some questions for those who have.

Does ie7 break on sites that were made for ie6 only? I know people who bothered making "exceptions" for ie in css etc... The thing is if they are more standards compliant now, things may break (or if not, a lot of time wasted making it ie compatible, and they may have to keep it up for those who don't migrate).

Secondly, is there anything compelling about it in regard to extensions? I think this is where firefox will keep it's users, if there isn't an equivalent extension/plugin to the ones you have (or god forbid someone makes a non-free one) why switch? It would be tough to beat the community around firefox extensions...

As for my favorites, colorzilla and flashblock :)

AngryPanda
February 14th, 2006, 06:52 AM
My favorite part of IE7 is how the search toolbar uses Google by default. It's like I never left Firefox at all!

Seriously, though, it's not that bad, and it's definitely a step beyond 6. It is far more standards compliant in its rendering, though there's still a ways to go. Transparent PNGs? That's what I'm talking about!

Incidentally, there is a home button on there, Poofy, it's just in an awkward spot on the other side of the browser for some reason. I kinda dig the new interface. The new tab button is a good idea that I hope gets crammed into Firefox. (Of course, there's probably already an extension for that.)

As for speed, this is still a beta release. There will be plenty of optimizing before a final release, I'm sure!

All that said, it's not taking Firefox's place, or even Opera's, any time soon.

poofyhairguy
February 14th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Maybe I need to try it longer than 5 minutes, but I did think it was better than IE6. Not great mind you, but not the worst thing MS has made.

No. Thats MS Bob.

And I should of looked at the username before saying random MS bashing. :P I know you're better than that.

Thanks for the credit.

The main thing I hated about IE 7 I did not mention. As any nerd knows IE is an essential part of Windows. It runs every second Windows runs.

Well on my Dad's computer where I installed IE 7 (he REFUSES to use Firefox or Google over MSN) the entire computer experiance. got so slow after a week (because this new IE is so much worse resource wise) because it was running all the time. Everything was slower. Nightmare.

That might be fixed by the release, so my bias may one day not be vaild. But that will never change the fact that I hated the interface and I missed IE 6 for the first time in YEARS.

poofyhairguy
February 14th, 2006, 06:59 AM
The new tab button is a good idea that I hope gets crammed into Firefox.

I would not wish such a feature on my worst enemy, let alone my beloved Firefox.

To me it screams "Never learned what a tab is middle aged woman? Watch as I force you to learn!"

Ohh....some nerd elitism just came out. BAD ME!

AngryPanda
February 14th, 2006, 07:13 AM
I like the tab button! I think it's handy for those occasions when I'm too lazy to press Ctrl+T. It's a fairly intuitive location for it, too, just to the right of the tabs. The Foxpose ripoff is well implemented too.

The scary thing to me is that resource usage! I've experienced no such problems when running Windows, though. Maybe I just haven't noticed it.

poofyhairguy
February 14th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I like the tab button! I think it's handy for those occasions when I'm too lazy to press Ctrl+T. It's a fairly intuitive location for it, too, just to the right of the tabs.

You defend your side well.

mcduck
February 14th, 2006, 07:49 AM
I like the tab button! I think it's handy for those occasions when I'm too lazy to press Ctrl+T. It's a fairly intuitive location for it, too, just to the right of the tabs. The Foxpose ripoff is well implemented too.

The scary thing to me is that resource usage! I've experienced no such problems when running Windows, though. Maybe I just haven't noticed it.
I like having one too (in FF, I won't even touch IE if I have a choice). Altough I rarely use it as Tab Mix+ handles opening links to tabs for me. Anyway, I believe it's available by default in FF, you'll only have to add it to your toolbar yourself.

I also love the 'recent closed tabs' button you get with Tab Mix Plus. It has saved me many times when I close the wrong tab by accident ;)

I'm not sure if new IE is good or bad. I've understood that is should work better with standards, and that's a good thing. Then, I don't like the GUI and from what I've heard it also eats more resources, and those are bad things. Then it offers some basic features I've been using for years already, and that is not good or bad, just pathetic, if you ask me ;)

siimo
February 14th, 2006, 08:14 AM
so?

everyone copies.

KDE and gnome are heavily copied off windows & mac

minimize/maximize/close buttons on the right top of window manager anyone??

pinoyskull
February 14th, 2006, 08:19 AM
i tried it, uninstalled after 5 mins. go back to firefox :)

bonzodog
February 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM
If people would read the tech news, they would know that MS and Mozilla AND apple are working together to make their browsers similar to each other, and yes, the first real sign of this is the RSS icon. It's not a copy, it IS the the icon used in firefox. MS are coming up to the standards of firefox, and they are going to use the same XML open code to build extensions. The hope from this is that FF extensions will work on IE7 and Safari.
They are also working on anti-phishing methods as well together. There are a lot of things going on between silicon valley and Redmond at the moment.

AndyCooll
February 14th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I tried IE7 and also thought it was ok ...however I still prefer Firefox. As some have mentioned, although web-browsers copy each other unfortunately it seems IE7 doesn't add anything new or worthy of switching over at all. Literally everything is already available in FF.

I didn't like where they placed the "Home" button and I wasn't happy that I couldn't move the address bar from the top. It may be possible but I couldn't find out how to do it. And in the end I was getting too frustrated with it.
These were just my first impressions and perhaps I need to have a look at it again (in fact no doubt I will be doing so anyway since most organisations use IE including mine :( )

Rumor
February 14th, 2006, 04:12 PM

I used it for a week, perhaps? It was terrible. Our intranet database has a web interface. I had time out after timeout on pages that are built to not time out until 4 minutes have elapsed. The pages did not render correctly, some buttons or links disappeared altogether. And slow? Horribly, horribly slow. I could have drawn the pages by hand faster.
When I access the database from home, every other browser I have tried (Opera, Firefox, Epiphany, Seamonkey) was able to render the pages correctly with no timeouts or loss of links.
I know IE7 is a beta right now, but it has the look and feel of an alpha IMO.

Sirin
February 14th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Although IE7 was so-so, it was the RSS that REALLY caught my eye. I wonder why Firefox can't do this instead of resorting to crappy "live bookmarks"? :cry:

Klaidas
February 14th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Hmmm... How secure is the new IE? :-k

rado_london
February 17th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Probably as secure as IE6 which means no security. And I will use it on my XP because I think using an open source software on Windows and then blaming how good windows is is bullsh*t. This is the way to see what is the quality of MS software.

potrick
February 17th, 2006, 04:20 PM
It's still ugly and not as fully functional as Firefox, no matter what they "copy." Firefox has so many extensions--how can Microsoft keep up?

Support "Firefox extensions natively in IE?

public_void
February 17th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Yep, I'll stick with Firefox. Haven't tried IE7, but I don't want to really. Sooner or later there'll be exploits and security fixes.

Anyone visited http://www.ie7.com/ (http://www.ie7.com).

aysiu
February 17th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Support "Firefox extensions natively in IE? How?