PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bootable CD problem

presario_ubun2
October 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I have a problem...so I made a CD from the Ubuntu 9.04 image...the MD5 was ok...the CD boots and I can install Ubuntu on a new lenovo T60...

However, when I put the Ubuntu CD in an old presario, the CD is not recognized. It will not boot from CD and will not proceed to ubuntu installation...bios settings have been set to CD ROM First also...
I have a windows XP CD....and it boots perfectly from the CD...proceeds with installation...but I don't want windows XP on it

What would be the reason it can boot from a Windows XP CD and not an Ubuntu CD? What am I not considering? This is just odd to me

Trying to install on Compaq Presario 18XL4
-PentiumIII/1GHz , 256MB RAM, 20GB harddrive, had Windows ME, floppy drive, DVD/CDRW drive

bulldog
October 18th, 2009, 04:29 PM
How old is that presario?
There was a time [I feel old already :)] that some cd's couldn't be read in some cd readers.
Had something to do with the color of the cd.
Maybe you'll have to try another brand of cd's with a different color protection layer.

presario_ubun2
October 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM
The Presario is from 6/2001. I used CompUSA CD-R media.

The CD Drive is a CDRW/DVDROM...

Why is a windows XP CD recognized and able to boot...?

Any idea where I can buy a Ubuntu boot floppy disk? I have no way of making this..the presario has no OS on it...

Thanks....

bulldog
October 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I don't think your cd-dvd player is broken,but it doesn't seem to be able to read the media for some reason.
A floppy to boot ubuntu is something I never have seen,but you can make a bootable USB flash drive.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

CharlesA
October 18th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Try a different brand of cd.