PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 beta

Contraste
October 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I've tried to upgrade from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 beta using the Update Manager (ALT + F2 >> update-manager -d). It works right until all the new packages have been downloaded. Then, when it is going to install them, the Update Manager shows an error dialog and doesn't install.
When I open it again (System > Administration > Update Manager), lots of packages are available to install and a dialog telling me to do a "partial upgrade" appears.

I don't know why this happens. Is there anything I must do before upgrading to a beta version (I was able to upgrade to Alpha 5 by the same method), or is this a bug?

Thank you.

bulldog
October 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
If you have any third party repositories in your sources.list,just disable them.
Then do the partial upgrade as stated and it should be fine.

I installed the beta a while ago,and I had to do a partial upgrade after a few days as well,so no worry about that one.

peakshysteria
October 18th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I've tried to upgrade from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 beta using the Update Manager (ALT + F2 >> update-manager -d). It works right until all the new packages have been downloaded. Then, when it is going to install them, the Update Manager shows an error dialog and doesn't install.
When I open it again (System > Administration > Update Manager), lots of packages are available to install and a dialog telling me to do a "partial upgrade" appears.

I don't know why this happens. Is there anything I must do before upgrading to a beta version (I was able to upgrade to Alpha 5 by the same method), or is this a bug?

Thank you.

It was the same for me. I just went to System --> Administration --> Software Sources and changed Download from to another country than the default (Norway in my case) to United States. Then once again I ran ALT + F2 --> update-manager -d

Everything then went smooth.

dkknight593
October 18th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I think it's a bug.

I had same problem. Attempting partial upgrade messed up gnome.

I tried to upgrade some packages I thought were important manually through Synaptic.
Then I restarted and started recovery mode. chose repair packages and for the most part my system is up and running again.

Well sort off. Hal_lpadmin keeps crashing. And coming out of screen saver does not show log in screen.

-venk

Contraste
October 18th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I changed "Download from" to United States in the Software Sources Menu and started the Update Manager. It finally did! Thank you all guys!

peakshysteria
October 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Good things man. Nice to hear it. Please mark the thread as Solved so other people might solve their problems as well.

Happy days.