PDA

View Full Version : Water is found on moon

praveesh
October 18th, 2009, 04:29 AM
See http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/world/us/We-found-water-on-moon-courtesy-ISRO-NASA/articleshow/5052942.cms
WASHINGTON: NASA on
Thursday revealed that
India's maiden lunar mission
Chandrayaan-I had traced
water molecules on the
moon's surface. It
also "thanked" ISRO for
making the discovery
possible. ( Watch Video )
“We want to thank ISRO for
making the discovery
possible. Moon till now was
thought to be a very dry
surface with lot of rocks,”
NASA said in a press
conference.
“Discovery of moon is a
major leap in our knowledge
of the moon. NASA’s
instruments helped finding
the water molecules in
collaboration with ISRO,”
NASA said.
Instruments aboard three
separate spacecrafts, one of
them the Moon Mineralogy
Mapper, a NASA instrument
onboard Chandrayaan-I
revealed water molecules in
amounts that are greater
than predicted, but still
relatively small, it added.
"Water ice on the moon has
been something of a holy
grail for lunar scientists for
a very long time," said Jim
Green, director of the
Planetary Science Division at
NASA Headquarters in
Washington.
and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8272144.stm .
A surprising amount of
water has been found to
exist in the Moon's soil.
Data from three spacecraft,
including India's Chandrayaan
probe, shows that very fine
films of H2O coat the
particles that make up the
lunar dirt.
The quantity is tiny but could
become a useful resource for
astronauts wishing to live on
the Moon, scientists say.
"If you had a cubic metre of
lunar soil, you could squeeze
it and get out a litre of
water," explained US moon
researcher Larry Taylor.
The rock and soil samples
returned by the Apollo
missions were found to be
ever so slightly "damp" when
examined in the laboratory,
but scientists could never
rule out the possibility that
the water in the samples got
in only after they were
hauled back to Earth.
The only safe scientific
conclusion they could draw at
the time was that the lunar
surface was all but bone dry.
Now a remote sensing
instrument on
Chandrayaan-1, India's first
mission to lunar orbit, has
confirmed that there is a real
H2O signal at the Moon.

CharmyBee
October 18th, 2009, 04:46 AM
September 24 is some time ago. They also blew up the moon

stinger30au
October 18th, 2009, 05:04 AM
ISRO???

dont they mean CSIRO from australia???

praveesh
October 18th, 2009, 05:26 AM
In the future , we may be able to get a home in the moon

praveesh
October 18th, 2009, 05:27 AM
ISRO???

dont they mean CSIRO from australia???

Indian space research organisation.

hoppipolla
October 18th, 2009, 05:30 AM
That's cool :)

Did they ever find traces of life on Mars in the end or was it just methane? o.O I guess there's no way of telling unless we go digging O.O lol

Slug71
October 18th, 2009, 05:36 AM
In the future , we may be able to get a home in the moon

They need to get man to the moon first. :P

Tipped OuT
October 18th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Oh wow, this is great news. One step closer to discovering life on other planets.

praveesh
October 18th, 2009, 06:20 AM

is it that much difficult ?. People are going to space as tourists .

praveesh
October 18th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Oh wow, this is great news. One step closer to discovering life on other planets.

but I don't believe in the life outside the earth

Ah there may be life outside

Exodist
October 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM

LOL little behind on the times!!

Exodist
October 18th, 2009, 06:58 AM
That's cool :)

Did they ever find traces of life on Mars in the end or was it just methane? o.O I guess there's no way of telling unless we go digging O.O lol

They prob would not tell us if they did. To many people think life is only on earth and would flip out.

baceman007
October 18th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Awesome!:P

3rdalbum
October 18th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Did they ever find traces of life on Mars in the end or was it just methane?

I still think the "water is found on moon" is methane, or some other human-waste gas.

Read the first article; I had no idea that NASA's press liason were so useless at English. The whole idea of extracting water from rock was just ripped out of The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

Paqman
October 18th, 2009, 08:33 AM

You can't really compare a suborbital hop with going to the moon. It's kind of like the difference between jumping off your garage with cardboard wings and a 747 flight from London to Sydney.

starcannon
October 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM
In context to the subject of the OP, this assumes that water is the key to all life; perhaps its just one of many; indeed, as long as we continue to limit ourselves with this "belief" based on our own limited observations, I think we may regularly overlook other sentient life forms. It strikes me as very curious that in all the expanding universe, that water is the only possible way for "life" to exist.

Khakilang
October 18th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Did they use Linux on their computer for research? That will be even awesome.

praveesh
October 18th, 2009, 09:27 AM

who knows

Paqman
October 18th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I don't think they're getting excited from an exobiology point of view Starcannon, but because this makes the idea of a long-term human habitation there significantly more practical.

The bottom line is that it's probably not going to ever be practical for humans to inhabit any rock that doesn't have an easily accessible water supply.

praveesh
October 18th, 2009, 09:29 AM
In context to the subject of the OP, this assumes that water is the key to all life; perhaps its just one of many; indeed, as long as we continue to limit ourselves with this "belief" based on our own limited observations, I think we may regularly overlook other sentient life forms. It strikes me as very curious that in all the expanding universe, that water is the only possible way for "life" to exist.

water may not be the only possibility for the existance of life

praveesh
October 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM
You can't really compare a suborbital hop with going to the moon. It's kind of like the difference between jumping off your garage with cardboard wings and a 747 flight from London to Sydney.

Iam not telling it will happen in the near future . But it will certainly happen

samjh
October 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM

Linux is pretty popular for scientific research. It wouldn't be surprising if every space agency in the world operates a Linux box somewhere within their organisation. Most scientific research organisations are strapped for cash and technically proficient, so Linux fits right in.

geogur
October 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Water is out there and life is too we just need to breakfree and go to where it is. life is amazing and complex , we need to keep an open mind . But the moon is a dead planet no water or life that is a proven fact if there is water we brought it there in the many lunar landings long before India started looking . ( was the water in a water bottle on the 4x4 we left there?) . (the keys are still in it if you get there take it for a test drive )

dragos240
October 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Like shuttleworth. He's a space tourist.

geogur
October 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Iam not telling it will happen in the near future . But it will certainly happen

been there did that ,long long ago . We will live there soon . thats why the space station! Or did you know we are building a jumping off point for space exploration ? News flash golf balls found on the moon buy Indian probe

praveesh
October 18th, 2009, 04:25 PM

my friend's brother is a scientist in ISRO . I shall ask him . But Iam not sure whether he tell . That may be a secret .

praveesh
October 18th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Like shuttleworth. He's a space tourist.

oh yeah

Slug71
October 18th, 2009, 04:34 PM
LOL little behind on the times!!

:confused:

praveesh
October 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Water is out there and life is too we just need to breakfree and go to where it is. life is amazing and complex , we need to keep an open mind . But the moon is a dead planet no water or life that is a proven fact if there is water we brought it there in the many lunar landings long before India started looking . ( was the water in a water bottle on the 4x4 we left there?) . (the keys are still in it if you get there take it for a test drive )

in future, we may be able to live in moon . But the water in moon is not a sign of life outside earth . Life may exist without water and air .

jespdj
October 19th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Indeed, when they find water on the moon, that does not have anything to do with discovering life on other planets. When there's water somewhere it doesn't automatically mean that there is life there.

For our kind of life here on Earth, water is essential, but there might be other kinds of life based on a different chemistry that might not even need water at all.

We already know that the compounds that make up life here on Earth are everywhere in the Universe - we've even discovered complex organic molecules in big gas clouds in space. There are so incredibly many stars (our galaxy already has between 100 and 200 billion stars - and there are billions of galaxies in the Universe!) that it's statistically very likely that there's life elsewhere - even more so because we see the ingredients of life in those clouds.

The problem is only that the Universe is so incomprehensibly gigantic that it's practically impossible to find it. Even the nearest stars to the Sun are so far away that it might be forever impossible that we'll ever go there, unless we discover some way to travel through space at a super high speed.

I do think there is life elsewhere, but I think that intelligent life is very, very rare. I don't think we'll ever discover intelligent life somewhere else, simply because it's too rare and the Universe is too big.

sydbat
October 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Indeed, when they find water on the moon, that does not have anything to do with discovering life on other planets. When there's water somewhere it doesn't automatically mean that there is life there.

For our kind of life here on Earth, water is essential, but there might be other kinds of life based on a different chemistry that might not even need water at all.

We already know that the compounds that make up life here on Earth are everywhere in the Universe - we've even discovered complex organic molecules in big gas clouds in space. There are so incredibly many stars (our galaxy already has between 100 and 200 billion stars - and there are billions of galaxies in the Universe!) that it's statistically very likely that there's life elsewhere - even more so because we see the ingredients of life in those clouds.

The problem is only that the Universe is so incomprehensibly gigantic that it's practically impossible to find it. Even the nearest stars to the Sun are so far away that it might be forever impossible that we'll ever go there, unless we discover some way to travel through space at a super high speed.

I do think there is life elsewhere, but I think that intelligent life is very, very rare. I don't think we'll ever discover intelligent life somewhere else, simply because it's too rare and the Universe is too big.That's assuming humans are intelligent life forms. Perhaps, in the universal scheme of things, we are simply ants...

http://xkcd.com/638/

praveesh
October 19th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Iam actually afraid of discovering new organisms outside earth . If they are intelligent than us, that's the end of human race .

Regenweald
October 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Iam actually afraid of discovering new organisms outside earth . If they are intelligent than us, that's the end of human race .

Because that's how it goes in the movies right ?

Exodist
October 19th, 2009, 08:15 PM
:confused:

US and Russia both sent people to the moon over 40 years ago. FYI..

That why I mention to that poster that mentioned "we should send poeple first." That he or she was behind on the times. A.K.A. "Out of touch.."

ninjapirate89
October 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM

More than likely they are smarter than us, have already visited us, and have sensibly decided to stay the hell away.

Exodist
October 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
More than likely they are smarter than us, have already visited us, and have sensibly decided to stay the hell away.

ALIEN OFFICER: Sir! We have reports that we have a downed craft in East LA.

ALIEN LEADER: Damn! Looks like hes on his own!

ALIEN OFFICER: But Sir shouldnt we go help him!

ALIEN LEADER: Heck NO! Are you crazy, those humans shoot their own kind there! We wouldnt last 5 mins!

lukjad
October 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Oh, please. We never have been on the moon. It's all a conspiracy. >.>

samjh
October 20th, 2009, 02:16 AM

If they are more intelligent than us, they would find us before we find them. We would be screwed either way. ;)

praveesh
October 20th, 2009, 03:44 AM
If they are more intelligent than us, they would find us before we find them. We would be screwed either way. ;)

not every time, the most intelligent one wins . But yours is a good point though .

Tipped OuT
October 20th, 2009, 04:00 AM

Well from what all we know, water and oxygen is key to life. I know what you're getting at, but that's just speculation.

ninjapirate89
October 20th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Well from what all we know, water and oxygen is key to life. I know what you're getting at, but that's just speculation.

Actually just water. Plants would get along fine without oxygen and I'm sure there are other forms of life that don't require it as well.

handy
October 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I agree with those that think the Moon is a waste of time; it takes less fuel to go to Mars, there is more water on Mars, & there has been a plan developed to get there that is inside of the NASA budget.

The Chinese have made mention of going to Mars, the EU has plans to get there, when someone seriously commits it is expected that 10 years is how long it will take for us to be there.

Robert Zubrin has been a huge lobbyist & motivator for getting humanity on Mars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Zubrin

Chronon
October 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I don't really see a big reason to go to either place, at least not until our technology has made big strides. Currently, a manned mission to Mars would be a death sentence. We first need to be able to build autonomous robots that can build enclosures on Mars, release bacteria and basically terraform a bunch of biodomes for astronauts to inhabit once they arrive. Any astronaut that had any hope to return to Earth would need to live there, self sufficiently, while also producing fuel for the return trip. This is simply not in our technological capacity yet.

It is impossible to simply fly to Mars, hang out for a bit and then fly back to Earth.

handy
October 20th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I don't really see a big reason to go to either place, at least not until our technology has made big strides. Currently, a manned mission to Mars would be a death sentence. We first need to be able to build autonomous robots that can build enclosures on Mars, release bacteria and basically terraform a bunch of biodomes for astronauts to inhabit once they arrive. Any astronaut that had any hope to return to Earth would need to live there, self sufficiently, while also producing fuel for the return trip. This is simply not in our technological capacity yet.

It is impossible to simply fly to Mars, hang out for a bit and then fly back to Earth.

If you do some research on the topic, you will see that all of those problems have been taken into consideration.

There is actually a very good documentary on the topic.

Carl Sagan, said that Robert Zubrin, virtually single handedly turned the scientific community around with regard to colonising Mars.

You should be able to view the "Mars Underground" documentary for free on the internet. I think you will find it most stimulating & enjoyable.

I hope to see man on Mars before my time is up. ;)

handy
October 20th, 2009, 09:54 AM
wow...it is so cool if i can go on the moon....
but i think it is better to see the moon on the earth not on the moon ,it is more beautiful to see it on the earth ~~:)
Is the moon more closer to the earth than the Mars,right??:confused:

Because the Moon has no atmosphere, landing craft must use a great deal of fuel to brake their fall (so to speak) when landing. This is why more fuel is used, even though the Moon is so much closer than Mars.

Have a look at the "Mars Underground" documentary if you want to understand the ins & outs of the "Mars Direct" & "Mars Semi-direct" Mars mission plans?