PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Themes

jleach49
October 18th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Hi, I am new to Linux. I would like to kow how you install themes. When I install them I don;t get the whole thing. It doesn't look like what it is suppose to be. I have included a link with a pic of what I wanted but when I installed it the only thing that changed was the border of the windows. Also how do get the icons to be on the bottom Thanks:)

http://gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/92681-1.jpg

lindsay7
October 18th, 2009, 04:00 AM
You want the Cario Dock application not a theme.

CokeDealer
October 18th, 2009, 04:13 AM
As you have mentioned that the theme was installed, i assume you know that it's as easy as a drag and drop of the .tar.gz that you downloaded into the appeareance window when showing themes.

Some themes in gnome-look.org are not complete. Some only have window decorations (what i suppose you got), while others only appear in the controls tab, when customizing a theme.

I suggest that you check all the information written by the creator of the theme, so that you can find out what he is using to get those windows.

As for a dock (the useful thing at the bottom of the pic), there are various options:I suggest Cairo Dock (find its launchpad page and follow the instructions to enable their repository), or Docky (type in a terminal: sudo apt-get install gnome-do ). Both have their advantages and capabilities, as well as their extras. It's a matter of taste for you to find something that satisfies your needs.

Welcome to Ubuntu. Have fun learning and tweaking!