PDA

View Full Version : New Linux computer store opening in Chattanooga, TN

BslBryan
October 17th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hello, everyone!

The people in Northwest Georgia will be more directly impacted by this news, but as of October 15, 2009, Radiated Computers (www.radiatedcomputers.com), a Linux-friendly computer store advocating free and open source software, is open. A friend and I have started this store in response to seeing terribly overpriced computers become the norm. If you're in the area, come and see us!

kaivalagi
October 17th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Hello, everyone!

The people in Northwest Georgia will be more directly impacted by this news, but as of October 15, 2009, Radiated Computers (www.radiatedcomputers.com), a Linux-friendly computer store advocating free and open source software, is open. A friend and I have started this store in response to seeing terribly overpriced computers become the norm. If you're in the area, come and see us!

And you support west ham because... :)

Nice to see open source based PCs, I hope you do well!

zaksworld
October 18th, 2009, 12:37 AM
This is an awesome idea! I wonder why more people haven't thought of that yet! I'd like to start a Linux store of my own down here in Idaho.

Do you have an official site yet? I'm really interested in this idea!:P

BslBryan
October 19th, 2009, 06:03 AM
www.radiatedcomputers.com :-)

infocop411
October 19th, 2009, 12:55 PM
It's not new, there's one in Savannah, Ga called The Open Store
http://old.savannahnow.com/stories/020805/2783830.shtml
(The page is stamped with "Web posted Tuesday, February 8, 2005")
The thing is, I didn't know that kinda thing existed till I met the owner at Atlanta Linux Fest not long ago.

Simontek
November 16th, 2009, 05:50 AM
The Open Store is closed. I am willing to give a hand on any other linux store. I was naive to open a linux only store in a town of like 10 users. I wanted to help out when i was in TN a couple of weeks ago, but was sick as a dog. (ok I was half dead, if you were at phreaknic you saw me).

To the person that wants a store in idaho. There are millions of people that would appreciate the store, BUT unless they are willing to come to you and spend money, its hard to do, unless there is a need for it. Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, etc. Any large city, where there are lots of people, is where to open this style of store. Small towns (like Savannah) are hard to do, because you have people who don't like change, or not willing to learn.

infocop411
December 13th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Sorry to hear The Open Store is closed, I think even in some big cities the success is limited or else the focus is beyond that city or you have a target client. (I'm wondering where Chattanooga fits into this statement, better not figure out I suppose)

BslBryan
December 14th, 2009, 03:28 AM
The difference between Radiated Computers and The Open Store is that The Open Store was completely Linux, whereas Radiated Computers advocates Linux, but is not limited to it.

collinp
December 14th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Yes, opening a store in a populated area such as Atlanta or Nashville, TN would be a good idea. Would help to spread Linux and Open Source Software to a higher number of people.

Desktop_n00b
September 29th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Stinks that Radiated Computers location got shut down like a year ago. The people they were renting from were foreclosed on which kinda kicked them out cause they were working off the rent instead of paying cash, and with the low amount of business they couldn't afford to pay rent.

I heard they are working with Center Stage Dance Co. in Soddy Daisy, TN now though. Kinda like Geek Squad and Best Buy. Still same phone number as they always were 423-505-3726.

I think you can drop computers off at the Center Stage Dance Co. on Hwy 58 cause it was actually next door to Radiated Computer's Old location, but that is limited to the hours of that dance studio which is very few i hear.

Also I think they went to a free domain on the website www.Radiatedcomputers.yolasite.com

BslBryan
September 6th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Yes, very true Destop_n00b. The main location has been shut down, I have become pretty much unaffiliated, and it's not much of a store anymore, but the guys there still get some business building custom PCs and shipping them out - as well as fixing any computer you bring to them.