PDA

View Full Version : A native Ubuntu software to install repositories.

donniezazen
October 17th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Greetings,

Every 6 month we get a new version of Ubuntu(Yay!!:guitar:). It is easy to add a single repositories but if you have like 8-10 repositories added, its mess to add all of them at a time. So, a software which will come with pre-installed repositories will make things easy for us. Developer can add their repositories and keys to this software. A warning can be added to this software that it may mess their system.

What do you think guys?

Thanks,
SK

NoaHall
October 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Ehm. You do know you can edit the file easily just with gedit? :)

Copy the repos
Then do
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

then paste the repos

Easy enough.
Edit -
Oh and for the keys, there's a new thing in karmic for easily installing keys.

donniezazen
October 17th, 2009, 08:13 PM

Copy the repos
Then do

then paste the repos

Easy enough.

What about keys?

A lot of people want to try beta software but they don't . This software will open a pool of beta testers. For example VLC in Jaunty came with a separate video screen. But the beta version fixed this problem. Also this is going to be a comprehensive software for repos not just for a single repo.

NoaHall
October 17th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I don't get it.

There's going to be a new thing for adding keys and repos easier in karmic, anyway.

Frak
October 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM

Copy the repos
Then do

then paste the repos

Easy enough.
Edit -
Oh and for the keys, there's a new thing in karmic for easily installing keys.
Do you expect Mrs. Smith and her grandkid to know how to do that? Let's say they understand what it says, are they confident enough to do that?

misfitpierce
October 17th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Ubuntu Tweak comes pre-installed with repos and you can just activate them for tons of apps and software. Try out newest Ubuntu Tweak version and check out the repos in there... Everything from TV style apps to theme repos to empathy repos and firefox nightly repos and more. Talking about something like that?

NoaHall
October 17th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I'm pretty sure Mrs Smith and her grandchild don't want to get lots of repos at once ;)

donniezazen
October 17th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Its all about making things accessible. You can do everything by command line but general users need GUI.

zekopeko
October 17th, 2009, 08:41 PM
In Karmic there a simplified system for installing ppa's and their keys.
Simply paste the line (not the deb http://... but something like this ppa:gnome-do, check a random ppa for example) from the ppa page into the software sources dialog and click add. That's it.
In the future they are planning an apt-url like system where you simply click a link and it prompts you to add the ppa.

donniezazen
October 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM
In Karmic there a simplified system for installing ppa's and their keys.
Simply paste the line (not the deb http://... but something like this ppa:gnome-do, check a random ppa for example) from the ppa page into the software sources dialog and click add. That's it.
In the future they are planning an apt-url like system where you simply click a link and it prompts you to add the ppa.

Sounds cool. But i am talking about a single place to check out all new and beta softwares by independent developers.

sandyd
October 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM
i asked this earlier - its going to be part of ubuntu software center.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter

zekopeko
October 17th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Sounds cool. But i am talking about a single place to check out all new and beta softwares by independent developers.

Well the system as planned will allow app developers to have a simple button on the webpage that will add the ppa and install the app.