PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] 'Clean' install of Kubuntu question.

iTheBadGuy
October 17th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I'm currently using Ubuntu 9.04 and i want to use Kubuntu - I saw my friend using it and i thought it was awesome :D. So i thought of doing a fresh/clean install of kubuntu. Why? i don't know.. but i always liked to do a fresh install when dealing with OS's..

Here's my question: I have Ubuntu 9.04 in one of my 2 HDD's. In the second one i have /home. If i format the Ubuntu Drive, will i have to format the /home drive to re-create it for kubuntu? (i know this sounds stupid.. lol) Or can i just assign the /home (second HDD) for kubuntu?.

If i can just leave the /home drive alone/untouched. and continue with the installation like i normally would do with windows then cool. If i can't exactly and there's another method let me know exactly how to do it, thanks ;)

P.S My logic says i can just format the Ubuntu drive and leave the /home drive alone or in the installation assign it as the /home directory and none of my movies/photos/videos/music will be deleted. But i just want to make sure.

amingv
October 17th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Yes, you can format the HD that you're using for / and tell the installation to mount the other one in /home. Everything sould work fine. Just make sure you format the right disk. A backup of important/vital data never hurts, but there's no much risk if you're careful.

iTheBadGuy
October 18th, 2009, 04:22 AM
ah thanks. My logic hasn't failed me yet, but you can never be to sure ;).