PDA

View Full Version : Python using a method from an object

McWeirdo
October 17th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hi, I've recently came across a problem,I am programming and C# and kinda new in Python.

now I had to do a recursive function that gets a string and reoves all 'X' chars in that string , I've done it in both C# and python, but to test how Classes work I've done the following thing:

Class C:
def removeX(self,string1):
# here are a bunch of statements
# they return the string without the 'x' in the end..

obj1=C()
xz=obj1.removeX('XXXXLSLXXOLSXLXL")
print xz

it didn't work, I think I'm miss understnading the self thing, cause in C# it works , I mean I know that code is pointless cause I don't need to do a class , but that was just for testing accesing functions in an object... if the function is not inside a class , it works, so it's not the problem in the func...

What's the problem?

thank you :D

CptPicard
October 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM
The issue seems to be in the code of the function... care to post it?

Can+~
October 17th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I also would like to see the code inside the RemoveX method.

btw:

>>> "XXHelloXWorldXXX!".replace("X", "")
'HelloWorld!'

McWeirdo
October 17th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Well i doubt if it's a problem in the code , cause when I run it without makin it inside a class it runs ok, will post it though in a minute, and I\m aware of the replace thing, but this question is meant for C# which AFAIK doesn't have this option, but it's nice to see the algorithm behind it, so 1 min and ill post the code.

thanks

McWeirdo
October 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
class C:

def nox(self,string1):
if string1.find('x')==-1:
return string1
else:
return nox(string1[:string1.index('x')]+string1[string1.index('x')+1:])

obj=C()
print obj.nox("XLXOLXXLOLX")

output:says i have a problem with obj=C()

when i run the function wuthout writing it in the class it's fine

McWeirdo
October 17th, 2009, 11:10 PM
the problem with obj=c() is a mistake, I had a "space" before the statement, but the error is still there it says:
global name nox is not defined...

diesch
October 17th, 2009, 11:16 PM
It has to be

return self.nox(...)
instead of

return nox(...)

Can+~
October 17th, 2009, 11:17 PM
When calling methods from inside the class, use the "self" keyword. This is pretty much like the "this" in C# and Java.

class C:
def nox(self,string1):
if string1.find('x') == -1:
return string1
else:
return self.nox(string1[:string1.index('x')]+string1[string1.index('x')+1:])

obj = C()
print obj.nox("XLXOLXXLOLX")

Edit: diesch beat me.

McWeirdo
October 17th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Thank You both :)

I just want to undrstand what's the point of the self. , cause on C# i don't have to do this.nox in the return statement, so what does it do? informs Mr Python that the method is inside the class?

Thanks again :D

diesch
October 17th, 2009, 11:48 PM
It's about the same as with obj.nox: It tells Python you want to use self's method.

In contrast to most other languages Python doesn't use the class as default namespace here.

wmcbrine
October 17th, 2009, 11:53 PM
http://effbot.org/pyfaq/why-must-self-be-used-explicitly-in-method-definitions-and-calls.htm

McWeirdo
October 18th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Thank you all~!#!#!

nvteighen
October 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM
The idea is to preserve interface-integrity: Only stuff included in the function's parameters list should affect the function's behaivor. So, that's why self is there.