PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else check out Jolicloud yet?

beastrace91
October 17th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Hey There,

So someone over in the Wine forums had mentioned they where using an Ubuntu derivative "Jolicloud" when asking for help - and naturally when I hear a distro I have not heard of I search it and do some reading, it looks very interesting! I just got my invitation to their private release this afternoon and one thing they have done very well is the add/remove programs part of it

Anyone else checked it out yet? - http://www.jolicloud.com/

Thoughts, feelings?

~Jeff

sloggerkhan
October 17th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I looked at it, but I'm liking karmic netbook more.

Nburnes
October 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Checked it out a while ago and got my invite pretty fast. Haven't messed with it yet though.

scout4536
December 12th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Just installed it this morning. Runs great on my DELL Mini 10. It was a shock that the GMA500 worked right off the bat without having to install the drivers. But everything is working without a problem so far. So far I like everything about it, it is easy to use as well.

itisbasi
December 12th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Runs great on msi wind U100. I must say it's a very good distro based on UNR.

NormanFLinux
December 13th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Its based on Ubuntu but has its own repositories. A number of Ubuntu-based distros have their own repositories for the system as well as the stock Ubuntu packages.

beastrace91
December 13th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Its based on Ubuntu but has its own repositories. A number of Ubuntu-based distros have their own repositories for the system as well as the stock Ubuntu packages.

Yes I'm fully aware of this - but to the average user this is a god send. Tell some who has never used Ubuntu/Linux before they need to add repos to install/keep a certain piece of software updated and they will look at you sideways.

~Jeff

chilimac02
December 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I agree, so far this is system my mom could use.

Exodist
December 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I would really like to try this out for my sister who has a netbook. But their stupid website only gives the user a EXE when on a windows system. That kinda makes it hard to boot a ISO in virtual box.. Argh!!!

I emailed them about it. Doubt they change it..

earthpigg
December 16th, 2009, 08:13 AM
their stupid website only gives the user a EXE when on a windows system.

same thing on an arch system using firefox.

i would hunt and dig around for an .iso.... but why bother, when they can't get basic fundamentals right? :\

pwnst*r
December 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM
it's there, just very well hidden:

http://www.jolicloud.com/guides/partition-install

macosx/windows/linux

ccrdiving
December 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM
I would really like to try this out for my sister who has a netbook. But their stupid website only gives the user a EXE when on a windows system. That kinda makes it hard to boot a ISO in virtual box.. Argh!!!

erm... the iso instructions are below the exe ones :-)

http://www.jolicloud.com/download

beastrace91
December 21st, 2009, 03:15 PM

On Ubuntu -
sudo apt-get install unetbootin

That allows you to load an ISO Linux CD onto a flash drive. I use it to install most of my systems.

Regards,
~Jeff

jayze
December 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Had a peep but working on the basis of "if it aint broke don't fix It"..I think I'll stay here..noted for future ref tho ty :popcorn:

greenfrog
December 24th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Go to their site and follow the Pro Install Guide for an ISO image install.

Exodist
December 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
On Ubuntu -
sudo apt-get install unetbootinThat allows you to load an ISO Linux CD onto a flash drive. I use it to install most of my systems.

Regards,
~Jeff
Not sure Apt works very well on windows..
But I only want the ISO anyway so I can install it in VirtualBox without any harm to my system or wasting a CD.

erm... the iso instructions are below the exe ones :smile:

http://www.jolicloud.com/download
Yea erm.. They just added that the past few days. It wasnt even an option when I originaly looked at their site..

beastrace91
December 24th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Not sure Apt works very well on windows..

Thats why I said "on Ubuntu" before the command line... At any rate Unetbooin works cross platform.

unetbootin.sourceforge.net

~Jeff

ufugu
January 6th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I have used probably 10 distros on my eee 900, and have been quite satisfied lately with Karmic UNR. Still, this public beta of Jolicloud kicks them all the the curb.

The look of the thing is gorgeous, from the login to the screensaver, but it is the Jolicloud social and web app install tweaks that are truly sublime. And Skype finally worked with zero fuss, that alone is a big deal to me.

I love to tinker, but it's hard to resist something this attractive and easy...

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I played around with it in VirtualBox. I really like the interface style, looks very clean. But you can tell its just another Ubuntu derivative.

beastrace91
January 6th, 2010, 01:53 AM
you can tell its just another Ubuntu derivative.

Same can be said for Linux Mint which is also largely popular. Ubuntu is the best - so why not build on the best? :)

~Jeff

NoaHall
January 6th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Ubuntu is the best
~Jeff

That's debatable.

Anfanglir
January 6th, 2010, 02:03 AM
The big + is that poulsbo (GMA500) graphics works out of the box.

But i dont like the graphic interface, has anyone figured out if it is possible to replace the GUI with something else? The auto maximizing windows are annoying (though this can be disabled after some tinkering)

Fujitsu button tablet drivers dont install correctly. Neither does Sun's Java.

Considering that it is a pre-beta release it's OK i guess.

SCaster
March 23rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
I installed Jolicloud pre beta last week on my Dell Mini 10 via the ISO download and unetbootin via a usb - I test ran from usb first. This is a very neat OS, easy to use - which is good for my other half who complains about Linux being on any computer in the house because she doesn't understand how to use it. The only problems I have had so far are
1) I kept having to enter passwords for everything because I didn't have sufficient user rights to create a password keyring. I fixed this by putting my user name in the "root" group.
2)Cheese - the camera works fine in still mode but freezes and won't record video

From other forums I've noticed these are recurrent themes.

I've used Mint and Ubuntu and now Jolicloud and have liked them all, but for out of the box Jolicloud has been the smoothest installation.

spdmrphy
March 24th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Installed it just a few days ago on a Lenovo S10-2, and everything is looking good - everything works straight away (which wasn't the case with UNR, although I must say UNR worked pretty well). It seems to run a lot faster, but maybe that's just my perception. Loving the look of it as well, it's well turned out.

All in all, I'd recommend it in a flash. (I think there's a pun in there somewhere if you look hard enough)