PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen Resolution issues

river226
October 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM
So i have encountered a resolution issue on a recent ubuntu build, from what i can tell it's not a video problem and i don't think it's a monitor problem so i'm wondering if anyone can help me.
Me and my friends threw together a cheap ubuntu computer recently, and we hooked it up to a massive monitor; with this ubuntu jumped to the highest screen resolution and after some messing around with taskbar locations and gnome widgets we managed to get the screen res to one that got the monitor could handle... problem solved
not really
the real problem came when we restarted the computer after a update, and the desktop maintained the same res, but only the bottom right hand corner was visables in the top left hand corner... needless to say this made it practically impossible to make use of much as the windows were out of our field of view.
we then switched to a much smaller monitor that we had use earlier, and ubuntu went down to the highest 16:9 res it could, and we were problem free.

so my questions amounts to this:

is there a way to set the resolution to a standard low one for when it detects a new monitor or something along those lines? and what is the exact source of the weird glitch were it only took up 1/4 of the monitor?

river226
October 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM
bump