PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] When 9.10 is ready...

Arthur_D
October 17th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Though I've always been doing dist-upgrades instead of a complete reinstall, I'll reinstall when Karmic Koala is out. I'm going to switch from 32 bit to 64 bit, and from ext3 to ext4. Should I just copy my existing /home folder to my external HDD and then replace the new one when I've done the reinstall, in order to keep most stuff as it is (except for installed programs)?

sriny1512
October 17th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Don't copy all the contents of the home folder. I guess all the documents you need is in the folders "Documents", "Pictures", "Downloads" bla bla bla. Copy all your personal files and folders to seperate usb hard disk. You can also save heap of files downloading, if you use the program "APTONCD". It's a program which creates a back up iso file of all packages downloaded and installed. Once you backup using APTONCD it's easy to restore after fresh installation of ubuntu, provided you install APTONCD first before restore or installing updates. :guitar:

ajgreeny
October 17th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Surely aptoncd will be useless if going from 32 bit to 64 bit and from 9.04 to 9.10.

Otherwise I agree; don't bother to keep all the config hidden folders except perhaps for those for open office, firefox, thunderbird, pidgin, and any others which actually contain all your personal files such as bookmarks, email, etc etc which will be gone if you don't backup first. Things like ~/.gconf are not worth keeping in my opinion.