PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on Rapidshare?

RealG187
October 17th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I have RS Premium so when 9.10 comes out I wanna download it from Rapidshare. Under normal circumstances that would not be desirable. For the following reasons:

* The wait, but I have premium
* Security risk, but I can Verify the hash (http://operation420.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=929)

If there is someone here who maybe wants to upload it once it's out and get some Rapidshare points I would be more than happy to help you. One hand washes the other and you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

Having Ubuntu on RS might save Ubuntu's server some bandwidth, cuz had I not had premium I would have downloaded it from there...

PS I am actually serious that I want to get it off Rapidshare. I already got Linux Mint that way...

amingv
October 17th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Why rapidshare? If you want to save Ubuntu bandwidth why not just use bittorent or one of the mirrors instead?

Sorry, but it's just that I don't understand the advantage of doing it this way.

sendblink23
October 17th, 2009, 07:11 AM
+200 @ amingv

Mark Phelps
October 17th, 2009, 10:28 PM
When 9.10 comes out in final form, if you go to the usual website, and scroll down past the usual links, you'll find a long list of mirrors, any one of which you can then use. Using one of the mirrors, in my experience, generally provides much faster downloads.

RealG187
October 18th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I said I have premium and wanna take advantage and use it.

stinger30au
October 18th, 2009, 02:49 AM

so you want all of us to download it from rapidshare so that you and you alone benefit from this exercise

dream on buddy

presence1960
October 18th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I know people use Rapidshare for legit reasons, but so do a lot of people to spread pirated software. I think it best to keep ubuntu off there. That is just my opinion, and I did say people do use it for legitimate reasons, but rapidshare is best known for illegal software.

RealG187
October 18th, 2009, 04:46 AM
so you want all of us to download it from rapidshare so that you and you alone benefit from this exercise

dream on buddyNot download, upload.

Torrents are used for illegal stuff, but open source embraces them...

amingv
October 18th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Forgive me again, but that's hardly a reason.
Tell me why is it worth making a crippled mirror of Ubuntu.
I'm sure if you can give a reason why uploading something that is largely and freely published on the Internet to yet another website that puts download restrictions to anyone without a paid account is worth anyone's time, someone will do it. "I have a premium account I have no other use for" is not such a reason.

Please, don't take this the wrong way, but explain yourself.

RealG187
October 18th, 2009, 05:54 AM
It costs them money to run their servers. I was pissed when I found out you had to pay, but that was before I had access to Paypal and coudln't buy stuff online. Now I understand why they charge.

I paid for RS Premium and wanna make use of it, that's the way I am, I don't like wasting things...

Lars Noodén
October 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM
@*RealG187 : find some other RS users and take turns each release.

Or, since you are paying money for RS, demand some service from the administrators. It'd be a one or two-liner script for them to add Ubuntu when it is released.

However, amingv has it right: go for a torrent instead.

Speaking of which, there should be some political way to get ISPs to stop throttling Ubuntu torrents. The torrents are actually *saving* the ISPs money by saving bandwidth. Everything downloaded from outside their own network costs money. Torrents decrease the need, and thus cost, for that greatly.

Theoretically, if everyone downloading Ubuntu on the same ISP used a torrent, then the image would only be imported to the ISP's network once. I'm sure there's a way to work that out as a 'green' computing solution on the bandwidth alone. However, the fact that it is Linux is 'green'

amingv
October 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
It costs them money to run their servers. I was pissed when I found out you had to pay, but that was before I had access to Paypal and coudln't buy stuff online. Now I understand why they charge.

I paid for RS Premium and wanna make use of it, that's the way I am, I don't like wasting things...

I'll be a little more direct: Nobody will upload Ubuntu to rapidshare just so you can have the inner conviction that you're making good use of your account.
It has no obvious benefit to the community (other than yourself), and you have failed to provide any. I don't think anyone will want to upload it just to give you the luxury of downloading it off RS, when you could download it perfectly and freely using other methods that do benefit the community (like Bitorrent).

RealG187
October 18th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Rapidshare > Torrents

I am sure somebody would upload it to Rapidshare, they have done mint. And it would not only benifit me, it would benifit them if they want premium points.

Nobody would Upload Linux mint (http://operation420.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=914)...

amingv
October 18th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I won't hold my breath...
I hope you and the uploader get a lot of premium points.:roll:

RealG187
October 19th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I won't get any, only they do.

ikt
October 19th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Rapidshare > Torrents.

in what way?

amingv
October 19th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I won't get any, only they do.

Super, the uploader, w/e...
Missing the point. People are still waiting for Jaunty to be uploaded:
http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/04/download-ubuntu-904-final-version-codename-jaunty-jackalope/
Or are they? Hmmm...

Lars Noodén
October 19th, 2009, 10:01 AM
1) What has been the response from the tech support hotline you are getting from your RS subscriptions?

2) What has been the response from the other RS subscribers you have contacted regarding upload?

3) Will you (or a group you organize) sponsor an RS account for Ubuntu team to upload to?

RealG187
October 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM
in what way?In the fact I found something on RS that I couldn't find on Torrents, for whatever reason.

For the fact that when I first started using Torretns two were dead, I ended up getting them off Rapidshare.

And lastly, overall it's faster download speeds (but more interaction required if you don't have premium, but I recently found a program called JDownlaoder that's automatic whether you have premium or not).

Don't get me wrong, I use Torrents, but I use Rapidshare more except for big files. In this case Ubuntu is small enough for Rapidshare.

RealG187
November 1st, 2009, 03:04 AM
http://operation420.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=922&p=3724#p3724

Found it, I have found 9.10 on Rapidshare.

I am downloading it now and will check the hashes (http://operation420.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=929) of it...