PDA

View Full Version : works for me

Xbehave
October 17th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Does anybody else see the third word in the title?
It means that it works for me, not everybody, not you, only me!

God dammit if i see one more post were person A claims that person B is lying because some piece of software works fine for them, I'm going to have to start killing kittens again!

I mean I can silently rage and add the guys who post "WFM" in threads of people looking for help to my list of people to kill when I become world leader, but when it's said with the malice & implication that I keep seeing in flash / 64bit threads I just want to hurt people that do not understand that they != person with the problem.

misfitpierce
October 17th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Works for me :P

lisati
October 17th, 2009, 04:05 AM
WFM is out there with "it doesn't work".

earthpigg
October 17th, 2009, 04:06 AM
No, it does not work for you.

And I would know, for I am Ceiling Cat.

mamamia88
October 17th, 2009, 04:21 AM
yeah there is nothing worse than a response saying works for me when it's broken for you

23meg
October 17th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I mean I can silently rage and add the guys who post "WFM" in threads of people looking for help to my list of people to kill when I become world leader

A practical alternative is to add the persistent ones to your ignore list.

Chronon
October 17th, 2009, 06:27 AM

God dammit if i see one more post were person A claims that person B is lying because some piece of software works fine for them, I'm going to have to start killing kittens again!

I mean I can silently rage and add the guys who post "WFM" in threads of people looking for help to my list of people to kill when I become world leader, but when it's said with the malice & implication that I keep seeing in flash / 64bit threads I just want to hurt people that do not understand that they != person with the problem.

It seems that "works for me" isn't your peeve as much as person A doubting person B's claims based on A's experience.

I will post WFM sometimes if it hasn't been said yet because it at least provides anecdotal evidence that it can work. I would rather give useful advice, but barring that I don't think there's anything wrong with indicating that the software can work with a certain configuration.

wilee-nilee
October 17th, 2009, 06:29 AM
You might try cutting the Prozac in 1/2 that works for me.

ad_267
October 17th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Usually "works for me" is used in response to people who claim something doesn't work at all. People are just pointing out that no, it does work but just not for you.

Frak
October 17th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Usually "works for me" is used in response to people who claim something doesn't work at all. People are just pointing out that no, it does work but just not for you.
+1

That's the only time I use it, and I find it within the correct context and reasoning to do so.

Bachstelze
October 17th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Logic fail. If it works for me, it doesn't mean it can't work for you.

3rdalbum
October 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I only really say it for people who complain like this:

"There are hundreds of people on these forums complaining that they can't get Flash to work! It's not good enough in 2009 that Ubuntu doesn't support Flash properly! The Ubuntu developers should admit that Flash doesn't work and then beg for forgiveness while they work out the solution!"

In this sort of case, the entire argument hinges on the false fact that "Flash is broken in Ubuntu", so I can break down the entire argument by "Works for me on every computer I've tried".

coldReactive
October 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Logic fail. If it works for me, it doesn't mean it can't work for you.

Only if you know how to explain to me how to do it in that way.

I have to sympathize with the OP, I've gotten this way too many times.

hoppipolla
October 18th, 2009, 04:36 PM
haha I do this sometimes xD

Like someone is there going this breaks or this breaks and you're like "I dunno man works fiiiiiine on here!" as if that somehow helps ._. lol

coldReactive
October 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM
haha I do this sometimes xD

Like someone is there going this breaks or this breaks and you're like "I dunno man works fiiiiiine on here!" as if that somehow helps ._. lol

Exactly, if you can't contribute by actually linking to another post that addresses, fixes and explains the issue you're having, then it's best not to reply works for me.

aesis05401
October 18th, 2009, 06:31 PM

The aggression is useless, but hopefully your thread will open some eyes.

On another note: Have you read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? The geek shorthand for the way you feel about these other posters is lifted from those books: FATWWTRC (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=FATWWTRC&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=c807e9ccc08a197a). No more need to talk about harming kittens or killing people... I know you're joking, but why not take your point more seriously? Adding that aggressive stuff just gives the people you are talking about an excuse to tune you out or worse yet, become aggressive themselves.

Anyhow yeah, chronic 'WFM' posters should be FATWWTRC.

Keyper7
October 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I only really say it for people who complain like this:

"There are hundreds of people on these forums complaining that they can't get Flash to work! It's not good enough in 2009 that Ubuntu doesn't support Flash properly! The Ubuntu developers should admit that Flash doesn't work and then beg for forgiveness while they work out the solution!"

In this sort of case, the entire argument hinges on the false fact that "Flash is broken in Ubuntu", so I can break down the entire argument by "Works for me on every computer I've tried".

This.

"Works for me" is at least factually correct.

It's other people who should learn to say "it doesn't work for me".