PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] looking for useful widgets

shaji007
October 17th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Hi people
new to Ubuntu and loving it scrapped Microsoft Windows few days ago due to it ... messing me about too much lol

but my question is this

im looking for some decent and useful widgets if anyone wants to help and want some sort of guideline its basiclly this...

ever seen Android phones?

on the desktop screen we have choices of really useful widgets to put up

example weather, facebook, plurk, twitter, calender etc im looking for something along them line

anyone know any good software

also on Windows i had Adobe Air which i was a big fan of as i could put widgets on the desktop (at the problem of having my CPU heat up and make a lot of noise :P) so im just looking for stuff like that to make my desktop to be really usefull to me

also... the top windows panel with the menu is there a way to get rid of it and have something else to make it look wuite neat example Avant Windows Nav

Thanks for reading

SilverBridge
October 17th, 2009, 04:19 AM
try screenlets , you will find it in the Add\remove programs , it has many screenlets to chose from , and you have the option to use them as widgets , i added the side bar and put some screenlets in it as widgets , and it looks fine :)

shaji007
October 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM
try screenlets , you will find it in the Add\remove programs , it has many screenlets to chose from , and you have the option to use them as widgets , i added the side bar and put some screenlets in it as widgets , and it looks fine :)

hmm the last thing i wanna make it look like is Vista or anything along the lines
i got few widgets activated at the moment pidgin and facebook .. (the facebook app is a bit .. not useful was hoping for something more interactive) and Lyrics tho the Lyrics software im having problems setting it up

Thanks for replying

astro/pop
December 29th, 2009, 11:34 PM
hmm the last thing i wanna make it look like is Vista or anything along the lines
i got few widgets activated at the moment pidgin and facebook .. (the facebook app is a bit .. not useful was hoping for something more interactive) and Lyrics tho the Lyrics software im having problems setting it up

Thanks for replying

So I am wondering if you ever got the ones you were looking fir? I am kind of going through the same thing i did install screenlets but im not sure where to go now. thanks.

shaji007
December 29th, 2009, 11:52 PM
So I am wondering if you ever got the ones you were looking fir? I am kind of going through the same thing i did install screenlets but im not sure where to go now. thanks.

haha i gave up on finding anything
basiclly what i wanted was (ever seen the HTC HERO desktop its a phone)

i wanted something nearly EXACTLY like that
thought it would have been easy to copy since Android runs on linux kernel or something like that

but gave up on it

i just got loada pictures of myself all over
damn my vanity :P