PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Questions from a COMPLETE Linux Newb

Time Glitch
October 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Hey there Linux people =)

I am completely and totally new the linux world, but I've been eyeing it for a while. I'm pretty computer literate (Built my own, Re-Installed Windows too many times to count), but I'm ready to branch out from that terrible OS. I am thouroughly sick of Windows and I think Ubuntu is what I want to try first. However, I do have a few questions that will probably make-or-break my conversation to Linux:

Edit: More questions came up...I installed it on my portable...

Flash (in Firefox) only seems to work about half of the time...And not well when it does. It comes up with this giant play symbol for everything and doesn't make any sense...Any ideas as to why?

Where can I get the equivilant to Window's "Control Panel"? I'm trying to see if Ubuntu recognises my sound card...

My sound card isn't working (lol)...Where can I go to tell Ubuntu to get my drivers? Is there some kind of auto-checker thing?

diesch
October 17th, 2009, 01:04 AM
1. Does Ubuntu come bundled with drivers for video cards, sound cards and the like, or do we have to find our own from 3rd party sites?

Most drivers come bundled with Linux.

2. Do Ubuntu and Wine get along well? Because I do game on my PC pretty often. I checked Wine's top apps list, and all my games are in the Platinum section, but I just want to make sure before I jump in.

I don't use Wine so I don't know. But as Wine is a part of Ubuntu I guess it works.

3. How hard is it to upgrade versions of Ubuntu? Does it require a complete format/re-install like Windows, or is it a simple upgrade?

Usually a simple upgrade works fine.

4. I've heard of issues with some taken-for-granted apps that work with Windows such as Java, Flash, and Silverlight (I know this one doesn't work well, or at all). I really don't want to get a nasty surprise by going to Hulu or Youtube and having Ubuntu crash or something...Or have Youtube/Hulu not work at all.

Java is no problem, Flash works but fullscreen is sometimes slow. I have no problems using Youtube, Hulu doesn't work for me as I'm not in the USA.

5. Does Ubuntu prefer NTFS or FAT-32, or does it even matter? Does Linux need it's own file formatting system?

Linux uses its own file system, but can access FAT and NTFS.

6. In your personal opinion, should I wait for the latest version (I see there's one coming in like 13 days), or install the current version? Or perhaps even 8.10?

I'd install 9.04 now (or 8.10 if you have an Intel graphics card, as 9.04 has some issues there) and update to 9.10 a few weeks after the release as in the first weeks after a release there are usually a lot of bugs discovered and fixed.

One of my primary methods of communication with friends and coleagues is through Skype. Does Ubuntu have issues running it through Wine?

http://www.medibuntu.org/ has the Linux version of Skype packaged for Ubuntu.

Time Glitch
October 17th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the answers! I'd assume if Youtube works, Hulu would work as well. It's all Flash.

Medibuntu appeared to be a lot of gibberish to me...But that's what learning is for. Thanks a bunch for the link.

Anyone else have anything to add, or is this guy right on?

phillw
October 17th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Hi & Welcome

He's pretty much spot on.

For noobies ...

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326

within that area ....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1052065

Welcome to Ubuntu. It will take a while for brain to adjust to a couple of facts...

1) Ubuntu is free (as in completely free - not just free to download)
2) Support is free (Questions, How-To-Do, etc) - on this site and many others

The Gaming section is this way ----->> http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Oh, and by the way --- sit along for a few laughs along the way - we're not always serious :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Phill.

dagrump
October 17th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Back up your data, I won't yell, but it's always the first piece of advise that should be offered to someone.
Now IMO dual boot or run ubuntu on a separate machine. This is because you will need to post questions when you break it. Breaking it is part of learning. Most of the time you don't need to reinstall to fix things, yeah microsoft, I'm looking at you...
I always keep a windows install for games, & I don't use it for much else. The multimedia section has a tutorial for installing useful things from medibuntu, it's in the stickies.
Welcome in & enjoy the ride.

phillw
October 17th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Back up your data, I won't yell, but it's always the first piece of advise that should be offered to someone.
Now IMO dual boot or run ubuntu on a separate machine. This is because you will need to post questions when you break it. Breaking it is part of learning. Most of the time you don't need to reinstall to fix things, yeah microsoft, I'm looking at you...
I always keep a windows install for games, & I don't use it for much else. The multimedia section has a tutorial for installing useful things from medibuntu, it's in the stickies.
Welcome in & enjoy the ride.

well, I guess if we're getting all cuddly with this one & trying to stop them messing up ....

To install ubuntu along side *******....

http://apcmag.com/howto_search.htm?q=Keyword&catid=198

to back things up .....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35087&highlight=backup

To find tutorials and tips

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100

But, the O/P is going to mess up, as you say, that's part of learning.

My advice ? - Keep the 'Live-CD' that you installed from protected - It will help save you from your first major mess up - And, don't worry - everyone on this forum has had one !!!

Again, welcome to a completely different way of thinking :popcorn:

Phill.

lukeiamyourfather
October 17th, 2009, 02:26 AM
1. Does Ubuntu come bundled with drivers for video cards, sound cards and the like, or do we have to find our own from 3rd party sites?

Linux comes with 99% of what you need already in the kernel. Most third party drives like nVidia and ATI drivers can be found in Ubuntu through the hardware drivers tools (which will download and install them for you!). Very rarely will you have to go and find a driver online and install it yourself. This is a great thing if you're coming from Windows!

2. Do Ubuntu and Wine get along well? Because I do game on my PC pretty often. I checked Wine's top apps list, and all my games are in the Platinum section, but I just want to make sure before I jump in.

If you're a big gamer then dual boot and run your games in Windows. New games will work, new video cards will work, game updates are easier, etc. However, yes Wine does work with Ubuntu if you decide you want to try it.

3. How hard is it to upgrade versions of Ubuntu? Does it require a complete format/re-install like Windows, or is it a simple upgrade?

Upgrading through apt-get works most of the time but if you have enough time a fresh install is usually the best way to go, especially for newer users since troubleshooting some upgrade problems can be pretty complicated.

4. I've heard of issues with some taken-for-granted apps that work with Windows such as Java, Flash, and Silverlight (I know this one doesn't work well, or at all). I really don't want to get a nasty surprise by going to Hulu or Youtube and having Ubuntu crash or something...Or have Youtube/Hulu not work at all.

I've had pretty good luck with the 64-bit Flash 10 beta. Just drop the plugin from Adobe's site in ~/mozilla/plugins folder (~/ means your home directory).

5. Does Ubuntu prefer NTFS or FAT-32, or does it even matter? Does Linux need it's own file formatting system?

Linux uses ext3 or ext4 most often for boot drives but has support for FAT and experimental NTFS support (that works pretty good). Probably best to use ext3 or ext4 where possible. There's ext3 installable file systems for Windows if you want to access a Linux disk from Windows.

6. In your personal opinion, should I wait for the latest version (I see there's one coming in like 13 days), or install the current version? Or perhaps even 8.10?

Install 9.04 now and see how you like it. If nothing else its practice so you can install 9.10 easier since it won't be your first time. There's also many bugs worked out for 9.04, you might run into more bugs with 9.10 with a fresh release (typical).

This last question is rather specific, and should probably be asked AFTER I install and get things working, but I'd like to know anyway...

One of my primary methods of communication with friends and coleagues is through Skype. Does Ubuntu have issues running it through Wine?

There's a native client for Linux on the official Skype site. I use it on my laptop pretty often. Setting up a webcam if you have one might be a chore (depending on model) but other than that you'll feel right at home with it.

Sorry if I repeated what others have said. Good luck with it!

mtsbspidey
October 17th, 2009, 05:19 AM
If I can piggy back on one of his questions, I'm not really a big gamer but my wife loves her Sims games. That's something Wine should be fine for right? I don't need to bother with a dual boot just for that, do I?

landy rover
October 17th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Hi there

You don't have to dual boot windows and linux if you are running the latest wine You can run sims 3 no problem... Here is the link that will let you know what games wine recommends to play on ubuntu and linux http://appdb.winehq.org/ hope it helps

i hope i was any help to you

Time Glitch
October 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Ok wow.

I installed it on my portable hard drive just a few hours ago, and I am CONFUSED.

Don't get me wrong, I think I'll enjoy using it...It just is really different. I have a "few" questions:

Flash (in Firefox) only seems to work about half of the time...And not well when it does. It comes up with this giant play symbol for everything and doesn't make any sense...Any ideas as to why?

Where can I get the equivilant to Window's "Control Panel"? I'm trying to see if Ubuntu recognises my sound card...

My sound card isn't working (lol)...Where can I go to tell Ubuntu to get my drivers? Is there some kind of auto-checker thing?

I'm gonna give Flash one more go...If that doesn't work I'm heading off to sleep. Need rest.

Thanks in advance for the help =P.

landy rover
October 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Ok wow.

I installed it on my portable hard drive just a few hours ago, and I am CONFUSED.

Don't get me wrong, I think I'll enjoy using it...It just is really different. I have a "few" questions:

I'm gonna give Flash one more go...If that doesn't work I'm heading off to sleep. Need rest.

Thanks in advance for the help =P. hi there you can maybe try to go to system>prefrences>main menu>from there go to System Sub menu then click on control centre And activate it..

ok then you can go to your desktop again and you will se under system on desktop a control centre and there is a sound menu in contol centre click on it then it will say sound prefrences and set it to Alsa Or OSS that should work

regards

robbieo11
October 18th, 2009, 12:11 AM
best to back up data so if you me at least u will have the info u need
i lost alot of info that day argggggg anyway it was totaly my fault i tought i was rite and everyone here was wrong anyway
back up data and have fun with the new world UBI ROCKS

presence1960
October 18th, 2009, 03:33 AM
for flash do you have 32 bit ubuntu or 64 bit?

first uninstall any flash you already have especially gnash and swfdec!

Enable medibuntu.

for 32 bit ubuntu open a terminal and run
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

for 64 bit see here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1259102).

theozzlives
October 18th, 2009, 03:52 AM
for flash do you have 32 bit ubuntu or 64 bit?

first uninstall any flash you already have especially gnash and swfdec!

Enable medibuntu.

for 32 bit ubuntu open a terminal and run
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

for 64 bit see here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1259102).

Funny, I normally just install ubuntu-restricted-extras, and Medibuntu and never had a problem with Flash (or any Multimedia) on any of my systems.

presence1960
October 18th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Funny, I normally just install ubuntu-restricted-extras, and Medibuntu and never had a problem with Flash (or any Multimedia) on any of my systems.

Funnier I have never had a Flash problem in 32 bit Hardy , 64 bit hardy, 64 bit Intrepid or 64 bit Jaunty. :guitar: :)

That's why Linux is so good, there are usually more than one way to accomplish the same task. But for 64 bit I prefer the 64 bit Flash not the 32 bit Flash which I believe the restricted extras package installs on 64 bit Ubuntu.