PDA

View Full Version : flash x64, gnash, or swfdec?

sandyd
October 17th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Ive been having a whole lot of problems with the x64 beta flash. It sometimes allows me to click on something in the flash animation, then after a while, the flash applet completely becomes unclickable. (i can click all i want on the button, but nothing happens)

is gnash or swfdec better?

NoaHall
October 17th, 2009, 12:06 AM
It's a alpha.

And no, gnash and swfdec on 64 bit are just horrible, and they'll give you install problems with proper flash.

What browser are you using?
Are you 100% sure it's the 64 bit version, not the 32 bit version from the repos?

dragos240
October 17th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Well. I've tried gnash, it's pretty alpha, has quite a few bugs, and can't play anything past version 5.

FuturePilot
October 17th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Make sure you don't have the 32bit plugin + nspluginwrapper installed. 64bit Flash plugin has always worked great for me.

Pogeymanz
October 17th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Unfortunately gnash and swfdec are probably not going to be any better. Out of the two, swfdec works better for me.

hoppipolla
October 17th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Can you not use official flash at all on 64 bit? I have had a pretty bad time with the unofficial ones but then I don't think I've tried many...

dragos240
October 17th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Well. Adobe has not released the source to the official flash player, and it is not under a free software lisence. So some people here may not like the idea of a closed source player. I don't really mind. But I would prefer an open source player.

sandyd
October 17th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Make sure you don't have the 32bit plugin + nspluginwrapper installed. 64bit Flash plugin has always worked great for me.
im verry sure i got the 64 bit plugin installed.
remember downloading it manually from the adobe site.

dragos240
October 17th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I recommend getting the 32 bit version. It works much better.

jonian_g
October 17th, 2009, 12:49 AM
What browser do you use?

With firefox, flash x64 works great for me. Never had a single problem.
With opera, it seems that it likes flash to be in /usr/lib/opera/plugins.

NoaHall
October 17th, 2009, 12:50 AM

That's not true. It's been proven.

sandyd
October 17th, 2009, 12:50 AM
heres where im clueless.
how do i do that?
i tried simply using flashplugin-nonfree before i installed the x64 bit flash, but youtube videos just showed up as a black square,

NoaHall
October 17th, 2009, 12:51 AM
It's in the repos, as stated in my first post.

falconindy
October 17th, 2009, 12:52 AM
just install the package 'flashplugin-installer' if you really want the 32 bit. I assure you, as have others, that the 64-bit alpha works a LOT better.

FuturePilot
October 17th, 2009, 12:55 AM
im verry sure i got the 64 bit plugin installed.
remember downloading it manually from the adobe site.

Sorry I should have clarified this better. What I meant was make sure you don't have the 32bit one and the 64bit one installed at the same time.

sandyd
October 17th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Sorry I should have clarified this better. What I meant was make sure you don't have the 32bit one and the 64bit one installed at the same time.
i **had** 32 bit flash installed, but i overwrote the 32 bit file with the new x64 plugin
( i can't remove it either konqueror will non-stop bug me to install it )

wmcbrine
October 17th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I assure you, as have others, that the 64-bit alpha works a LOT better.I assure you it doesn't, on my system. I gave up on all three of these, and went back to the 32-bit w/ the wrapper. It used to crash on me after a while (leaving the browser running), but it doesn't seem to have that problem anymore.

I'm wondering if the 64-bit version is compiled with some instructions that weren't available on the oldest AMD64 processors, or somesuch. That could explain why it crashes on my system, but reportedly works well for others.

dragos240
October 17th, 2009, 01:05 AM
That's not true. It's been proven.

Works better for me! I can't view some things with the 64 bit version. But the 32 bit version works like a charm.

FuturePilot
October 17th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I assure you it doesn't, on my system. I gave up on all three of these, and went back to the 32-bit w/ the wrapper. It used to crash on me after a while (leaving the browser running), but it doesn't seem to have that problem anymore.

I'm wondering if the 64-bit version is compiled with some instructions that weren't available on the oldest AMD64 processors, or somesuch. That could explain why it crashes on my system, but reportedly works well for others.

There is a problem with the 64bit plugin and processors that don't have the "lahf_lm" flag. Does your processor have that flag?

wmcbrine
October 17th, 2009, 02:16 AM
There is a problem with the 64bit plugin and processors that don't have the "lahf_lm" flag. Does your processor have that flag?Nope. I guess that's it, then. Thanks. It's annoying... the only other problem I have with this vintage CPU is that it won't run 64-bit guests, or OS/2, in VirtualBox.

FuturePilot
October 17th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Nope. I guess that's it, then. Thanks. It's annoying... the only other problem I have with this vintage CPU is that it won't run 64-bit guests, or OS/2, in VirtualBox.

See this thread. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1263905 It should solve your problem.

HappyFeet
October 17th, 2009, 02:49 AM
64bit Flash plugin has always worked great for me.

Same here. 64 bit flash works a treat. As good as 32bit did when I used to use 32bit ubuntu.

HappyFeet
October 17th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Nope. I guess that's it, then. Thanks. It's annoying... the only other problem I have with this vintage CPU is that it won't run 64-bit guests, or OS/2, in VirtualBox.

Yeah, my Phenom quad core is nice. ;) Everything works beautifully.

wmcbrine
October 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM
See this thread. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1263905 It should solve your problem.Works. :)