PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downgrade from 8.10 to 7.04???

Kognit
October 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Hello

I want to downgrade from 8.10 to 7.04. Is there any chance to do this and at the same time, if possible, that 7.04 will be stable?

thx for answers

K

earthpigg
October 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM
hi,

you cannot directly downgrade, you would need to do a fresh install.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_releases#Ubuntu_7.04_.28Feisty_Fawn.29

but 7.04 is unsupported... could you elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish and why, so we can best advise you and allow you to come to a well-informed decision that you are happy with?

m4tic
October 16th, 2009, 07:00 PM
may i ask why

Kognit
October 16th, 2009, 07:04 PM
First, thank you both for replies.

I want to downgrade because my machine is very old - 2500 amd+, 1 gb ram, 70 gb hard disk and i want faster OS.

Is there really no chance for downgrade or maybe any other solution for boosting the OS?

prshah
October 16th, 2009, 07:57 PM
7.04 is beyond EOL (End of life) and hence cannot be used. The specifications you have given should work fine with Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 and even 9.10. However, if you still find it slow you could probably try a lighter distro such as Masonux / CrunchBang / Xubuntu, or a non-ubuntu distro such as Puppy / Damn Small Linux / etc.

Kognit
October 16th, 2009, 08:08 PM
7.04 is beyond EOL (End of life) and hence cannot be used. The specifications you have given should work fine with Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 and even 9.10. However, if you still find it slow you could probably try a lighter distro such as Masonux / CrunchBang / Xubuntu, or a non-ubuntu distro such as Puppy / Damn Small Linux / etc.

You are right but i have this feeling that previous releases ran faster on my computer.

I could try to use xubuntu and other versions but i am so bonded to the Ubuntu that this would be quite hard for me :(

snowpine
October 16th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Try Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala (beta now, official release in 2 weeks)... in my opinion, it is the fastest Ubuntu release yet!

Also make sure you have the correct video and other hardware drivers installed... it makes a big difference.

If Ubuntu is too heavy for the hardware, I am a big fan of Crunchbang. Good luck!

Kognit
October 16th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Try Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala (beta now, official release in 2 weeks)... in my opinion, it is the fastest Ubuntu release yet!

Also make sure you have the correct video and other hardware drivers installed... it makes a big difference.

If Ubuntu is too heavy for the hardware, I am a big fan of Crunchbang. Good luck!

Thank you very much. Maybe i will try 9.10.

earthpigg
October 16th, 2009, 09:31 PM
xubuntu is not faster than ubuntu or kubuntu.

ubuntu in general gets faster every release - not slower. with Ubuntu, there are no corporate interests that have good reason to pressure you into buying a new computer every 2 or 4 years, ya know? and since it's open source, people are scouring the source code for inefficiencies on a regular basis.

so the software generally gets more resource-efficient every release.

give Ubuntu 9.10 a shot. if you aren't happy with it's performance, give an ubuntu-based distribution that uses LXDE (Lubuntu, Masonux) or perhaps just a Window Manager (Crunchbang, Spri) a shot.

if you are willing to mentally prepare yourself, you could do a command-line only install and pick a WM and DE of your choice...

example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jwm

ackley
October 16th, 2009, 09:50 PM
@earthpigg I'm in complete agreement with you here. I came across Masonux through a google search and ended up with a posting by you. I'm currently using it on my eee pc & find that it's faster than anything I've used yet. I gave crunchbang a run, which I really like, but it was just too much for a 4 gig ssd. With Masonux, I get a nice install using only a gig.

Nice job on this project. :D

sideaway
October 16th, 2009, 10:48 PM
xubuntu is not faster than ubuntu or kubuntu.

ubuntu in general gets faster every release - not slower. with Ubuntu, there are no corporate interests that have good reason to pressure you into buying a new computer every 2 or 4 years, ya know? and since it's open source, people are scouring the source code for inefficiencies on a regular basis.

so the software generally gets more resource-efficient every release.

give Ubuntu 9.10 a shot. if you aren't happy with it's performance, give an ubuntu-based distribution that uses LXDE (Lubuntu, Masonux) or perhaps just a Window Manager (Crunchbang, Spri) a shot.

if you are willing to mentally prepare yourself, you could do a command-line only install and pick a WM and DE of your choice...

example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jwm
Thats not 'entirely technically' true. While on a c2d/p45/4gb, 9.10 is going to be faster than 7.10 in nearly every aspect, on something like a p3/945/512mb, you may find its on the flip side for a lot of situations. Hardware architecture changes, and software optimisation tends to follow it. With the different hardware pools, drivers are design for different specifications... You've got to be careful when suggesting people upgrade...