PDA

View Full Version : 'Ho White and the Seven Dwarves' - (Disney not amused)

Sporkman
October 16th, 2009, 05:11 PM
'Ho White and the Seven Dwarves' beer advert angers Disney

A beer advertisment featuring a ranchy version of Snow White has reportedly raised the ire of Disney.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01503/ho-white-beer-ad_1503204c.jpg

The x-rated advertisement, for Jamieson's Raspberry Ale, depicts the fairytale heroine blowing smoke rings while lying in bed with seven semi-clad dwarves.

In this Disney dystopia, Snow White has been renamed "Ho White", while the loveable dwarves Sleepy, Happy and Doc are rebranded Filthy, Smarmy and Randy - supposedly to represent different types of drinkers.

Campaign creators The Foundry claimed the idea was to convince Australian drinkers that the fruit-flavoured beer was "anything but sweet".

However, the advertisement has reportedly angered Disney, the entertainment giant which licenses Snow White...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6341373/Ho-White-and-the-Seven-Dwarves-beer-advert-angers-Disney.html

Simian Man
October 16th, 2009, 05:15 PM
How can Disney have rights to Snow White? The story dates back to Germany since at least the 17th century!

sydbat
October 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM
How can Disney have rights to Snow White? The story dates back to Germany since at least the 17th century!Maybe the Brothers Grimm should sue??:P

UKBB
October 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I hear Grumpy isn't happy at all about this.

jwbrase
October 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Well, they based their artwork on Disney's.

openfly
October 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Disney's work is obviously a derivative work of a work in public domain.

Screw them.

Also those ads were funny.

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
That is not x-rated.

At above poster. The artwork in that frame is quite reminiscent of Disney's drawing of the Seven Dwarves no? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it definitely reminded me of Disney's version.

NoaHall
October 16th, 2009, 06:01 PM
She looks like she's had too much drugs in her lifetime.

beercz
October 16th, 2009, 06:05 PM
hi ho hi ho, it's off to court we go ....

bodyharvester
October 16th, 2009, 06:05 PM
if you take something from the public domain, is it not possible to change it enough from the original to re-license it for your own profit?

drawkcab
October 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM
"However, the advertisement has reportedly angered Disney, the entertainment giant which licenses Snow White."

I think that the reporter means to say that Disney licenses the rights to its artwork. I can see their point.

Exodist
October 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM
hi ho hi ho, it's off to court we go ....

LMAO!

Disney "claims" to own every freaking fairytale out there. Although I think they are full of it.

Surprises me they never complained about this Rammstein video though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfHlA3fmJG0

Chronon
October 17th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Disney doesn't have a leg to stand on. It's clearly satirical, thus protected.

saulgoode
October 17th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I think that the reporter means to say that Disney licenses the rights to its artwork. I can see their point.
That drawing doesn't seem at all similar to any of the Disney artwork I've seen -- though I haven't paid attention to Disney since 1998.

Redundant Username
October 17th, 2009, 01:43 AM
hi ho hi ho, it's off to court we go ....+1

Grant A.
October 17th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Disney doesn't have a leg to stand on. It's clearly satirical, thus protected.

In the United States maybe, but the laws in Australia are different.

Do any Australian copyright buffs have any input on the legality of this?

wilee-nilee
October 17th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Disney doesn't have a leg to stand on they have been releasing racist cartoons and media from day one for example; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_the_South

NoaHall
October 17th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Didn't you know, Walt had a freelance Time Lord locked away, and he made him go back in time and create all the tales so it would have a more "homely" feel.