PDA

View Full Version : Shipit - Won't let me Request a Free CD anymore.

PhoenixClaws
October 16th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I like to keep a pressed backup of Ubuntu of current versions but when I went to pre-order a free CD from ShipIt it gave me this message. Why?

You have already received our maximum number of allowed shipments. Please download the CD image and record it yourself.
Honestly the last line seems awfully rude since there is no mention of a limit on asking for a free CD.

Bachstelze
October 16th, 2009, 04:20 PM
The message is pretty clear: no Karmic for you!

It could've been worded better, though.

Mighty_Joe
October 16th, 2009, 04:23 PM
It sounds like you have already received the maximum number of allowed shipments. You could buy a copy (http://www.linuxcd.org/view_item.php?id_version=3803&ref=distrowatch) for $1.75.

Honestly the last line seems awfully rude since there is no mention of a limit on asking for a free CD.

The ShipIt FAQ says (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/shipit-faq):

Since we have limited resources, we would appreciate it if you could think carefully about the quantities you order.
Nothing like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

LowSky
October 16th, 2009, 04:50 PM
You have already received our maximum number of allowed shipments. Please download the CD image and record it yourself.

How is this rude? It not telling you that your wasting their time and/or resources, its telling you to use the normal method of downloading the image..

How many copies have you requested?

-grubby
October 16th, 2009, 04:54 PM
"Record it yourself" seemed a little rude, but it's not like they made fun of your race or anything.

Sam
October 16th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Same for me. I haven't ordered any Karmic CD so far, and I've only got 2-4 CD for the older versions...

BigSilly
October 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I agree, it's rather abrupt wording and not in the Ubuntu spirit at all. But then, I always enjoy the easy download and burn yourself freedom. I appreciate it's not so easy for everyone though. How many copies were you ordering? Not a silly amount, I hope...

Warpnow
October 16th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Same here.

beercz
October 16th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Is there a limit then?

If so what is it?

How do we find out?

I want only 1 ship it cd for karamic when it comes out.

Garret88
October 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I have the same error.
I haven't ordered any Karmic CD, and I've only got 3 CD for the older versions.

Dragonbite
October 16th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I like to keep a pressed backup of Ubuntu of current versions but when I went to pre-order a free CD from ShipIt it gave me this message. Why?

How many times have you ordered? I didn't know there was a limit.

You may have to try a month or more after it is released and they may be more lenient.

Could it be an error of some sort? Have you tried back or tried contacting them?

I hope they don't cut me off, I like being able to pass out professional looking CDs and covers to people. They are much more receptive than a sharpie-marked CD-R!

Warpnow
October 16th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Heh, shouldn't the limit be per release not over your lifetime?

Seems kind of odd.

aaaantoine
October 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Heh, shouldn't the limit be per release not over your lifetime?

Seems kind of odd.

Yeah but the OP [implies that he/she] has been ordering free versions of every CD since the beginning (or so). Imagine if every Ubuntu user did that.

At some point, you either have to start paying for shipping or download the ISO.

starcannon
October 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM

I think the free stuff is for promotional purposes; it appears it has worked on you, you like Ubuntu, and use it enough to have maxed out your free shippits. So you may either Download for FREE (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download) at the expense of those who provide the servers for you, the iso and burn it to CD, or you may buy a CD from the Ubuntu Store (http://shop.ubuntu.com/). It is not rude to have a limit on a resource like this, though it may be considered rude to believe that one is deserving of unlimited hospitality.

GL

sudoer541
October 16th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I was never told that there was a limit.
I am sure this is a bug, since 9.10 is not released yet and its not available via shipit.
I ordered the CDs more than four times and I never got that message.
to the original poster: try again when 9.10 is released.

Warpnow
October 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM
If they are going to do this they should sell cds in quantities of less than 20.

starcannon
October 16th, 2009, 07:05 PM
If they are going to do this they should sell cds in quantities of less than 20.
Agreed, indeed I just saw that, and sent a contact letter using their form. I think everyone should take a minute to do the same. 20 disk minimum is a bit absurd.

Warpnow
October 16th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Agreed, indeed I just saw that, and sent a contact letter using their form. I think everyone should take a minute to do the same. 20 disk minimum is a bit absurd.

They should start selling DVDs that have all four *buntus on them. Seems more cost efficient.

KiwiNZ
October 16th, 2009, 07:20 PM
This is an expensive process for Canonical so limits are logical.

I will make some inquiries though.

Dragonbite
October 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM

There are alternative, 3rd party disk vendors available to sell single CDs of just about any distro (and they'll custom do any distro they don't have listed often) for like <$5.

Can you also inquire why they offer 9.04 and 8.10 but not the 8.04 LTS? I would think the latest (9.04, soon to be 9.10) and the latest LTS (8.04), especially server version, would be the best combination.

I would imagine the latest and the LTS would be the two most popular versions to download since they are both supported, and while consumers will go with the latest, companies may stick with LTS releases over the latest versions (until they've been fully tested in THEIR environments).

Just don't use my name, I don't want to jinx my request ;) (jk)

Technoviking
October 16th, 2009, 08:31 PM
You should be able to get CDs from a official Ubuntu LoCo team, if there is one in your area (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList) a few weeks after the release of Ubuntu 9.10.

Thanks,
T-V

OpenGuard
October 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Request accepted. Please note that requests usually take from 4 to 6 weeks to deliver, depending on the country of shipping.

Just to mention that I've already got 4 ( if I remember right ) CD's, so .. I don't think that there's any limit at all ( I'm not talking about 100 CD's at a time ).

t0p
October 16th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I was never told that there was a limit.
I am sure this is a bug, since 9.10 is not released yet and its not available via shipit.
I ordered the CDs more than four times and I never got that message.
to the original poster: try again when 9.10 is released.

9.10 is available through Shipit: I just "pre-ordered" a Karmic CD. Successfully, I might add. Whatever the limit may be, I haven't exceeded it. Yet.

cariboo
October 16th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Just to add my 2 cents. I ordered 20 warty cd's back when, since then I have ordered a grand total of 3 including Karmic with zero problems.

Technoviking
October 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM

I would suggest trying again, maybe you caught the website before it was completely ready.

T-V

starcannon
October 16th, 2009, 11:47 PM
There are alternative, 3rd party disk vendors available to sell single CDs of just about any distro (and they'll custom do any distro they don't have listed often) for like <$5.

Can you also inquire why they offer 9.04 and 8.10 but not the 8.04 LTS? I would think the latest (9.04, soon to be 9.10) and the latest LTS (8.04), especially server version, would be the best combination.

I would imagine the latest and the LTS would be the two most popular versions to download since they are both supported, and while consumers will go with the latest, companies may stick with LTS releases over the latest versions (until they've been fully tested in THEIR environments).

Just don't use my name, I don't want to jinx my request ;) (jk)

+1
LTS should be available in the store I would think as well.

GL and HF

dragos240
October 17th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I only have the jaunty cd that I ordered. And I gave that away.

sudoer541
October 17th, 2009, 01:36 AM
never mind. I just ordered 9.10 and

Request accepted. Please note that requests usually take from 4 to 6 weeks to deliver, depending on the country of shipping.

it usually takes me 5 weeks to receive my CD.
Question for Canadians from Toronto: How long do you wait to receive your ubuntu CD(s)?

PhoenixClaws
October 17th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Sorry for not replying to the thread earlier but I've only ordered at least 4 CDs. One for each major release I believe since version 6.10 if I remember correctly. Not sure why I got this message. So now I have to go through the rather slow process of downloading one.

Grant A.
October 17th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Sorry for not replying to the thread earlier but I've only ordered at least 4 CDs. One for each major release I believe since version 6.10 if I remember correctly. Not sure why I got this message. So now I have to go through the rather slow process of downloading one.

Slow?! Compared to 4 - 8 weeks?!

HappyFeet
October 17th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I hope they don't cut me off, I like being able to pass out professional looking CDs and covers to people. They are much more receptive than a sharpie-marked CD-R!

You could always make your own cd labels with glabels. If you need any templates for cd's, pm me, I have them all.

Korozu
October 17th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I have requested 2 cd so far (9.04 kubuntu and 9.04 ubuntu) recieved the cd with 2 weeks,now I am waiting for 9.10 ubuntu.

CJ Master
October 17th, 2009, 02:59 AM
You could always make your own cd labels with glabels. If you need any templates for cd's, pm me, I have them all.

Wouldn't you need a special burner or something to do that?

HappyFeet
October 17th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Wouldn't you need a special burner or something to do that?

No, any printer will do. Just go to your local office supply store and buy the cd label making kit. I suggest buying Avery labels since glabels supports all Avery templates. I make very professional looking cd's with glabels.

coolbrook
October 17th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I just noticed that there is no option to choose between 32 and 64-bit. I suppose that's a special request. I haven't ordered a CD since Gutsy. Thank you, Canonical.

misfitpierce
October 17th, 2009, 04:09 AM
If you got a CD burner then just burn the disc... Not worth wasting resources when its not needed. Walgreens sells 5 CD-R's for $2 and you burn it asap and instantly have it. Not saying anyone in particular but if you got a CD Burner then please just download the copy and burn it to save resources and means one less thing shipped which saves fuel and helps the planet and helps Ubuntu by shipping it only to people who really need it. :P

Again: This is not to thread starter or anyone in particular... Just posting a note for benefit of the community and the planet :P

wilee-nilee
October 17th, 2009, 05:15 AM
CJ Master; Off Topic I noticed the Trumpet link are you familiar with these,http://www.monette.net/newsite/

Technoviking
October 17th, 2009, 05:22 AM
There will be CD labels for Ubuntu 9.10 soon https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DIYMarketing.

T-V

CJ Master
October 17th, 2009, 05:37 AM
CJ Master; Off Topic I noticed the Trumpet link are you familiar with these,http://www.monette.net/newsite/

Can't say I've ever seen that site, no.

Rainstride
October 17th, 2009, 05:41 AM
sadly for the time being im on a 5gb a month limit(mobile broadband):(. so I can only request a ship-it copy. and its giving me the same message. I wonder if it is so they can make sure to get copy's to new people, or people who have never ordered one:confused:.

wilee-nilee
October 17th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Can't say I've ever seen that site, no.

Dave Monette and his shop are the premier trumpet makers right now if you get a chance check out Wynton Marsalis playing these horns. http://www.wyntonmarsalis.org/ The difference in tone and intonation is remarkable.

misfitpierce
October 17th, 2009, 05:49 AM
sadly for the time being im on a 5gb a month limit(mobile broadband):(. so I can only request a ship-it copy. and its giving me the same message. I wonder if it is so they can make sure to get copy's to new people, or people who have never ordered one:confused:.

Sorry to hear about the limit, this is a situation that I was saying where one might actually need the shipped disc. Also I am sure this will be fixed by around release date so that you may have to wait a bit after release before you get to go to 9.10 but I am sure it will be fixed and you will be able to get it soon. Worth the wait than to just upgrade and not get the EXT4 default format now etc which has speed improvments etc.

Rainstride
October 17th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Sorry to hear about the limit, this is a situation that I was saying where one might actually need the shipped disc. Also I am sure this will be fixed by around release date so that you may have to wait a bit after release before you get to go to 9.10 but I am sure it will be fixed and you will be able to get it soon. Worth the wait than to just upgrade and not get the EXT4 default format now etc which has speed improvments etc.

sadly, I might have to wait a little longer than even that. I usually use the alt-install disk and install with full disk encryption. and seeing how the live cd can't do it I have to find another way. so it looks like im going to need to find a laptop and a wifi connection.

gnomeuser
October 17th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I would be saddened if shipit cut me off and it would hurt Ubuntu considerably as well. The reason is that when you first introduce Linux to a user if you hand them a burned copy that requires a lengthy talk on licening and freedom to comfort them that the dodgy looking burned copy isn't illegal or contains poor quality software.. the freedom talk also tends to make their eyes glaze over and for them to lose interest. Having a nicely pressed CD and a colorful cover helps a lot there.

I always order at least one cd from shipit and keep it in my bag, when I meet people who are interested in what I do I can let them borrow the pressed CD. When they have tested the CD I ask them to make a copy or let me give them one in return for my pressed CD, as well as offer help to get started.

This keeps my per release requests of cds to about 1 or 2 (occasionally someone forgets to return the cd or I desire a backup for busy times) but those get heavy rotation and gains a real countable amount of users. I would be completely uninclined to continue offering such services if I would unable to give a reassuring start for new users, or if I was requested to pay for future pressed copies for the privilage of continuing to gather potential customers for Canonical.

Naturally after they fall in love with the system, new users are much more receptive to a minor freedom talk - everyone wins.

utnubuuser
October 17th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Well, how about springing for 20 copies from the ubuntu store and distributing them to all the people who've answered your thread saying they've got the same prob? A pack of 20 is $35.00 from the US store.

Frak
October 17th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Odd, I've requested over 100 CD's, easily, and I was just approved for another CD.

Lavahead
October 17th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I have encountered the same problem tonight. I have only ordered one (1) copy of each release starting from Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS. That comes to three CDs total. An odd limit considering others who have ordered a lot more.

praveesh
October 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM
They have did some great work on karmic . Now they are limiting the number of free cds to raise some money they have spent on karmic . It's just logical . I too was not able to get a free cd . I don't know how much time it would take to download an 1-2 kb/s .

Sand & Mercury
October 17th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I'm under the impression that their 'limited resources' refers to financial resources for paying shipping costs. Pressing CDs in mass quantities is dirt cheap, but I suspect shipping them over and over and over again is not.

EDIT: Lawlz, I'm getting the same message as the OP - this would only be my third order. I don't find the message to be rude though I can see how it can be construed that way. It is a bit blunt.

Mornedhel
October 17th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Well, how about springing for 20 copies from the ubuntu store and distributing them to all the people who've answered your thread saying they've got the same prob? A pack of 20 is $35.00 from the US store.

Will he ship it to me, in France, for free ?

coolbrook
October 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I can't remember my last CD's shipping origin. There should be local pickup locations worldwide. How about a trade? One CD for a canned good/food bank donation or something like that. Tis the season.

geogur
October 17th, 2009, 03:17 PM
how about making a donation to the linux foundation to even out the free cd`s you have received in the past , and leave the free cd`s to thse who need the cd due to a slow connection . This is the point being made .

Pasdar
October 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Don't you guys think you're wasting canonical's money? Most of the people here order these CDs so they can look at them... it will look nice on the shelf... eh?

coolbrook
October 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Don't you guys think you're wasting canonical's money? Most of the people here order these CDs so they can look at them... it will look nice on the shelf... eh?No one's forcing the company to offer the CDs. I'm sure they know the logistics. The package also serves as a business card for Canonical. You don't have to work in the software industry to know that there's the bigger picture of turning home user into corporate customer.

arashiko28
October 17th, 2009, 04:39 PM
My case is different, I like to order the CD because my internet connection its not the best, true I've been ordering CD's since I turned to Linux, but I pass it and reinstall and give copies, this time I have 3 persons waiting for me to get the CD in order to install them Ubuntu...:confused:
Besides... If I could buy a pre-order CD, I would, but I don't see that option anywhere.

Pasdar
October 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM
No one's forcing the company to offer the CDs. I'm sure they know the logistics. The package also serves as a business card for Canonical. You don't have to work in the software industry to know that there's the bigger picture of turning home user into corporate customer.

I don't think they think most of their CDs are going to nerds who like to order their CDs for free to look at the casing.... while they have had the OS installed since Alpha 1.

joey-elijah
October 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I've previously ordered ONE cd (Jaunty) and i'm being told i've exceeded my limit, too.

It might be worth putting a warning or noice about the limit on the shipit page - had i known i was only allowed one cd ever i'd have picked the release more carefully!

Bachstelze
October 17th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I've previously ordered ONE cd (Jaunty) and i'm being told i've exceeded my limit, too.

Probably a bug somewhere then.

misfitpierce
October 17th, 2009, 08:08 PM
sadly, I might have to wait a little longer than even that. I usually use the alt-install disk and install with full disk encryption. and seeing how the live cd can't do it I have to find another way. so it looks like im going to need to find a laptop and a wifi connection.

If I Can ship a CD at normal post rate of 40 cents or w/e and your in US I would not mind burning you alt disc when it releases if you absolutely need and shipping to you. I have extra CD's so if you know if I can mail at normal post rate as a letter then I will mail it to you if you want. Let me know if you know if I can do that. If so PM me and we can work out mailing it to you buddy. Don't mind helping fellow ubuntu user.

HappyFeet
October 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I have ordered tons of free cd's in the past, and just ordered 9.10 with no problems.

Frak
October 17th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I have ordered tons of free cd's in the past, and just ordered 9.10 with no problems.
Same. I'll also repeat what I said earlier. I've ordered over 100 CD's through shipit, and I haven't been denied.

Shpongle
October 17th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I have the same error.
I haven't ordered any Karmic CD, and I've only got 3 CD for the older versions.

me too :confused:

misfitpierce
October 17th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hmmm I am sure it will be fixed soon.

ugriffin
October 18th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I've got a broadband limit of 1GB (Five is quite lenient, actually). My work internet blocks all downloads < 10MB. Thus, I'm screwed. To cap it, I live in Mexico. I've requested 1 CD for Kubuntu and Ubuntu since 7.10 and I've been denied the Pre Order for Karmic. What gives?

Warpnow
October 18th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I've got a broadband limit of 1GB (Five is quite lenient, actually). My work internet blocks all downloads < 10MB. Thus, I'm screwed. To cap it, I live in Mexico. I've requested 1 CD for Kubuntu and Ubuntu since 7.10 and I've been denied the Pre Order for Karmic. What gives?

*cough*reregister*cough*

Or, if all else fails, make a thread here when it is released asking someone to mail you one. I bet people would. We tend to be a nice community. I'd do it as long as shipping wasn't going to be alot of money.

stinger30au
October 18th, 2009, 05:10 AM

i think u are over reacting

theres nothing rude about this at all

its not hard to download ubuntu theres tons of mirros round the place to get it via ftp or get it via torrent at linux tracker

http://linuxtracker.org/

CJ Master
October 18th, 2009, 05:24 AM
i think u are over reacting

theres nothing rude about this at all

its not hard to download ubuntu theres tons of mirros round the place to get it via ftp or get it via torrent at linux tracker

http://linuxtracker.org/

You do realize it's IMPOSSIBLE for some people to download it, right?

Kapitän Rotbart
October 18th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Personally, I see nothing wrong with Canonical not offering ShipIt, however this seems like false advertising. You can "request" it, but then they tell you that you reached your limit. Maybe they could tell you on the ShipIt page that if you have ordered (a certain amount of) CD's via ShipIt in the past, that you wouldn't be able to cash in on Canonical's generosity this time around?

I will admit that I don't use ShipIt out of necessity but rather out of novelty. I am not complaining about not being entitled to a free CD, I just don't endorse this "false publicity".

scouser73
October 18th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I'm grateful that ShipIt sends free Ubuntu CD's out, but I would have liked a pressed CD from them. When I've ordered in the past it's only one copy that I've asked for and they've sent it me without hesitation, but there's something about receiving a copy via the post. Ah well not to get upset about it as ShipIt can be used to deliver the CD's to new users of Ubuntu.

rburkartjo
October 18th, 2009, 12:49 PM
went to the above website to pre-order a free live cd of 9,10 like i have been doing since 6.06 and received this message when i tried to order

anyone else of did this only happen to me

rburkartjo
October 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM
and i have only ordered one copy of each distr upgrade since and including 6.06

clhsharky
October 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM
HI rburkartjo

Your not the only one
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1292845

stinger30au
October 18th, 2009, 01:03 PM
*sigh*

storm in a tea cup

post a message with your town/county and i bet someone close by will pm you and get your address and send it to you

elliotn
October 18th, 2009, 01:20 PM
ok I guess I am doomed. as shipit wont give me a cd then am stuck with 9.04 foreva as i dont have net at home and the internet cafe wont allow such a big download and I want ubuntu and kubuntu for my 2 pc. ahh living in the rural areas of Pienaar Nelspruit.

Perfect Storm
October 18th, 2009, 01:23 PM
ok I guess I am doomed. as shipit wont give me a cd then am stuck with 9.04 foreva as i dont have net at home and the internet cafe wont allow such a big download and I want ubuntu and kubuntu for my 2 pc. ahh living in the rural areas of Pienaar Nelspruit.

You could ask someone in ubuntu community to send you a copy or two.
There's also linux sites that send you X,Y,Z CD's for a small fee.

Joeb454
October 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
You could ask someone in ubuntu community to send you a copy or two.
There's also linux sites that send you X,Y,Z CD's for a small fee.

+1

I've sent CD's to people before :)

xpod
October 18th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I dont mind sending the odd CD/DVD to people but it`s just easier and quicker if someone from your own country can do it for you.
The last time i sent any around the world ..to Sri Lanka.. they took a while to get there and the chap in question began emailing me every single day with his dire predictions of what he believed must have happened to them.I ended up sending a second batch just in case, which arrived at the same time as the first.

rburkartjo
October 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM
clh good to know i wonder if they want me to go to windows7

rburkartjo
October 18th, 2009, 02:02 PM
yea the problme with download an iso is a lot of time there are errors. that is what is nice about the ubuntu live cds never had a problem

Sam
October 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
yea the problme with download an iso is a lot of time there are errors. that is what is nice about the ubuntu live cds never had a problem

You should burn your CDs at lower speed.

rburkartjo
October 18th, 2009, 02:08 PM
sam that is a good idea

fatality_uk
October 18th, 2009, 02:38 PM

If you want to go to Windows 7, then go!!!

OpenGuard
October 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM

We'll not miss you - go! Regarding shipit - I believe their stock is limited and they don't want to run into problems ( just my opinion ).

OpenGuard
October 18th, 2009, 02:58 PM
You should burn your CDs at lower speed.

Just a quick note: 4x

ibuclaw
October 18th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Threads merged.

FYI, for anyone who reads here, don't try to order a CD on basis of seeing whether or not it works for you.
The ShipIt CDs, although nice, should really only be used for last resort.

Other ways to get Ubuntu include:

Download via Mirror
Download via Torrents
Through your LoCo
Through your Local Magazine
Through a Linux CD/DVD Distribution Site
Through a Linux/Ubuntu Guide/Book
From a Friend

Regards
Iain

octanium
October 18th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I also had this message until about one hour ago whan i was allowed to order again.

I have previously ordered in total about 40 cd, including a set of 30 cds.

ctrlmd
October 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
at least you received something i have ordered twice and i didn't receive any it's now 4 months and nothing happen

:P

praveesh
October 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM

266 posts

Frak
October 18th, 2009, 05:50 PM
266 posts
Ok?

bangoying
October 18th, 2009, 06:52 PM
This is so not fair! People who had requested 100 over cds does not get the message while people like us who request a cd or 2 get that message....:(

cor2y
October 18th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Well its a shame i too have gotten the boot from shipit when i tried just now to see if i qualified but i am making the jump to 64bit and offline installation so i would require the 64bit dvd version a version shipit doesnt involve themselves in.

I think whether or not you get to order cds may be based on how much you have ordered in the past ,people who have requested large bulk amounts seem to get preference over those (like me) who request one or two cds .

OpenGuard
October 18th, 2009, 09:18 PM
This is the first time I see people complaining ( not fair, discrimination, etc. ) about the ability to get free CD's with software, which haven't been yet releaced.

HomoGleek
October 18th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Well its a shame i too have gotten the boot from shipit when i tried just now to see if i qualified but i am making the jump to 64bit and offline installation so i would require the 64bit dvd version a version shipit doesnt involve themselves in.

I think whether or not you get to order cds may be based on how much you have ordered in the past ,people who have requested large bulk amounts seem to get preference over those (like me) who request one or two cds .
Ive ordered one before (9.04), and managed too order 9.10 earlier... appears too be an error!?!

CoreyB.
October 18th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I ordered two CDs from ShipIt, one Ubuntu and one Kubuntu 9.04, now it won't let me order Karmic. :(

emigrant
October 19th, 2009, 08:44 AM
tell one of your siblings or a friend to register for a new account.
problem solved ;)

longtom
October 19th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by elliotn

266 posts

I am not sure what praveesh is trying to tell us, but I can tell you that elliotn is sorted. We live in the same country and I'll send him 9.10 as soon as it is released, since I am one of the few lucky fellows who do have dsl (albeit sloooooow)

If those folks who have a similar problem as elliotn find somebody in their country to copy a cd for them and have dsl connectivity, all will be just fine.

This would be a prime example of helping each other in a community - even if it costs you a cd and some postage. Search through the members and you'll find somebody to ask in no time - I am convinced.

t0p
October 19th, 2009, 01:38 PM
While I would never suggest to someone that they open a new account with Shipit, wouldn't that be a way around this problem? Hypothetically speaking.

NoaHall
October 19th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Hm, I'm not sure if it would - you'd still have the same address.

t0p
October 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM

What, so are Microsoft sending out free Windows 7 disks?

I doubt it.

Dragonbite
October 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM

I've only had problems with one (maybe two) CDs not being good. One of them even would pass the tests but when it came time to install it would always miss a few packages that destabilize the system.

howefield
October 19th, 2009, 02:39 PM
What, so are Microsoft sending out free Windows 7 disks?

Apparently so.... 777 copies ;)

vanzan
October 19th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Ok I only ever ordered 2 cds and got the same message. I can understand them doing this as it must be expensive. No complaints from me.

Is there anywhere however that I can buy one copy of the exact cd that ubuntu would have sent out? I love the professional and cool looking label and cardboard sleeve. Tried eBay without success. ta

OpenGuard
October 19th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Ok I only ever ordered 2 cds and got the same message. I can understand them doing this as it must be expensive. No complaints from me.

Is there anywhere however that I can buy one copy of the exact cd that ubuntu would have sent out? I love the professional and cool looking label and cardboard sleeve. Tried eBay without success. ta

http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/linux/ubuntu ;)

vanzan
October 19th, 2009, 06:30 PM
And that'll be just like the one ubuntu would have sent me? In terms of presentation etc (there's no pic) If it is then I thank you.

MasterProg
October 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM
It won't let me order one, although I've ordered only 3 CD's (Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04).

I'd even buy a CD, if it was like the ones ShipIt sends.

October 19th, 2009, 07:44 PM
It won't let me order one, although I've ordered only 3 CD's (Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04).

Same here. The last phrase really pissed me off. 3 is too much???

Dragonbite
October 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM
And that'll be just like the one ubuntu would have sent me? In terms of presentation etc (there's no pic) If it is then I thank you.

No, they usually don't look the same as how ShipIt send it.

They may make a label and all, but none of them I have bought from 2 different vendors had a nice label like ShipIt.

Edit: Just realized, the CDs I got were not for Ubuntu, they were for openSUSE and CentOS. While they looked alright, they were nothing really great, fairly basic.

MasterProg
October 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Same here. The last phrase really pissed me off. 3 is too much??? than don't do it at all.

I'm not pissed off at Canonical for this decision, I'm pissed off at those who have ordered hundreds of CD's with no good reason to do that.

vanzan
October 19th, 2009, 08:20 PM
No, they usually don't look the same as how ShipIt send it.

They may make a label and all, but none of them I have bought from 2 different vendors had a nice label like ShipIt.

Edit: Just realized, the CDs I got were not for Ubuntu, they were for openSUSE and CentOS. While they looked alright, they were nothing really great, fairly basic.

Thanks for letting me know :)

I just checked the ubuntu shop and they are offering packs of 5 discs now. Pity the postage to me is actually more than what the discs cost!

This is an expensive process for Canonical so limits are logical.

I will make some inquiries though.

Any feedback?

OpenGuard
October 19th, 2009, 08:23 PM

Visual part is different, tough, content is the same. If you want something Canonical-labeled, go to their store - 5 CD pack for £5.00 (http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=537) ( £1.00 / CD .. not that expensive ).

vanzan
October 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Visual part is different, tough, content is the same.If content were my only concern I'd just download it and burn it myself. The clue was in my post where I asked for something identical to what canonical provide. Learn to read.

If you want something Canonical-labeled, go to their store - 5 CD pack for £5.00 (http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=537) ( £1.00 / CD .. not that expensive ).

More useless information that I've already posted above. £5 for 5 is a bargain indeed but postage of £6.10 is a little irritating.

OpenGuard
October 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM
More useless information that I've already posted above. £5 for 5 is a bargain indeed but postage of £6.10 is a little irritating.

Nothing on this world is free ( ok, Ubuntu is, at least to some point ) - enjoy the fact that they ask you to pay only £11.10, not £50.00 or so.

longtom
October 20th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Nothing on this world is free ( ok, Ubuntu is, at least to some point ) - enjoy the fact that they ask you to pay only £11.10, not £50.00 or so.

...or 500.00 or 1000.00. You are missing the point.

If shipit is for all intense of purpose not available any more, than say so. No train smash.

Those who need the Canonical print will buy it and those who do not have 12 pounds laying around (which, in my part of the world, is a lot of money)
will just have to do with whatever they can get hold of.

Maybe there was a goal Canonical wanted to reach with shipit and they didn't. Than just say so and we all know what's cooking and adapt.

Not that difficult - really.

llawwehttam
October 20th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I have the same thing any but I have about six different distro CD's. But I give them out to friends after using them. I guess maybe there finding it difficult to give away so many free CD's

vanzan
October 20th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I emailed the Shipit info address about the message and got the following reply (hope it's ok to paste this here):

"This means that you have already requested CDs in the past and
that you can upgrade your systems.

We are getting thousands of requests per day and we are unable to
satisfy all of them."

Pity in light of this that they aren't selling single copies from the Canonical shop. Maybe selling just one isn't economical.

OpenGuard
October 20th, 2009, 11:52 AM
...or 500.00 or 1000.00. You are missing the point.

No, I'm not missing the point ( I apologize if it looks so ). I know that there are a lot of people out there who doesn't have these £10 to spend on CD's ( as a matter of fact, I myself use Linux just because I don't have the money to buy Windows and related software ), but if you don't have the choice, the cost of these CD's isn't that big. He asked for a place where he can buy exactly the same CD as if he would get from ShipIt; I answered. Any more questions / misconceptions about what I said ( or what I didn't said ) ?

HomoGleek
October 20th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Companies like 8daysaweek.co.uk do reasonably priced CDs, and usually after an official release they will buy official canonical ones in bulk and sell them off for around 1.49 (2.00 P&P in UK).

howefield
October 20th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Companies like 8daysaweek.co.uk do reasonably priced CDs, and usually after an official release they will buy official canonical ones in bulk and sell them off for around 1.49 (2.00 P&P in UK).

If this is an advert, the price for the Desktop edition of 9.04 is 3.49 plus 2.00 p/p (UK pounds). More if you want recorded postage or international mail.

Not a lot, but more than you seem to think.

HomoGleek
October 20th, 2009, 12:39 PM
If this is an advert, the price for the Desktop edition of 9.04 is 3.49 plus 2.00 p/p (UK pounds). More if you want recorded postage or international mail.

Not a lot, but more than you seem to think.
Not an advert, just a company I've used in the past.

I think that the official copies are usually cheaper. I notice the have some official versions (canonical CD) and they range from a penny (8.04) too 1.49. I may indeed be wrong tho.

Corfy
October 21st, 2009, 01:25 AM
I emailed the Shipit info address about the message and got the following reply (hope it's ok to paste this here):

"This means that you have already requested CDs in the past and
that you can upgrade your systems.

We are getting thousands of requests per day and we are unable to
satisfy all of them."

Pity in light of this that they aren't selling single copies from the Canonical shop. Maybe selling just one isn't economical.

I know I can upgrade (actually, I use 64-bit, so I pretty much have to upgrade rather than use ShipIt), and I know that I can download the ISO (and I do so), but every CD I have gotten from Shipit I have given away to someone. Some people respond better to the commercially packaged CD than a CD I burned myself with "Ubuntu" hand-written on it (OK, I usually print some CD labels, but it is still a home-made CD compared to a professionally produced CD).

I am not against purchasing some copies, but here in the US, if I purchase from Canonical, I have a choice of purchasing 20 or 200. I couldn't realistically give away that many CDs.

Ms_Angel_D
October 21st, 2009, 02:37 AM
I know I can upgrade (actually, I use 64-bit, so I pretty much have to upgrade rather than use ShipIt), and I know that I can download the ISO (and I do so), but every CD I have gotten from Shipit I have given away to someone. Some people respond better to the commercially packaged CD than a CD I burned myself with "Ubuntu" hand-written on it (OK, I usually print some CD labels, but it is still a home-made CD compared to a professionally produced CD).

I am not against purchasing some copies, but here in the US, if I purchase from Canonical, I have a choice of purchasing 20 or 200. I couldn't realistically give away that many CDs.

Actually, I'm in Everett, Washington and I was just looking at the store and you can get a a pack of 5 for $ 7.92 surely you can give away 5 cd's.

http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=537

Dragonbite
October 21st, 2009, 05:54 PM
I think we have our answer:

Keeping Ubuntu CDs available (http://blog.canonical.com/?p=264)
We will continue to supply CDs to LoCo teams and Ubuntu members. And we hope to make CDs available to everyone who is just discovering Ubuntu. And we continue to search for additional ways to make Ubuntu and Ubuntu materials available to everyone. But we are limiting shipments to people that we think have alternative paths of getting Ubuntu.

Corfy
October 21st, 2009, 10:30 PM
Actually, I'm in Everett, Washington and I was just looking at the store and you can get a a pack of 5 for $ 7.92 surely you can give away 5 cd's.

http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=537

Actually, you need to go to this site...

http://usshop.ubuntu.com/product.php?code=09%2093202&catid=3

Otherwise, you are paying for international shipping.

But yes, I could give away five quite easily. And I will probably purchase a 5-pack. But I looked at the site yesterday before I posted, that option wasn't available yet. I'm glad to see they have added it. I hereby officially withdraw my previous complaint.

Sheringpal
October 22nd, 2009, 03:42 AM
Just want to say, downloading a ubuntu CD is not a viable option for many people ....at least not for me ....and a decision to deny free cd is extremely disappointing :(

KhanTG
October 22nd, 2009, 03:51 AM
Just want to say, downloading a ubuntu CD is not a viable option for many people ....at least not for me ....and a decision to deny free cd is extremely disappointing :(

I might be new to "FREE" ideal. but there is substantial cost that goes into burning, packaging, and shipping thousands of CDs.. this is probably why AOL isn't doing it anymore.

I, personally, download the .iso and give it to anyone who wants it.. but I wouldn't ship it for anything less than packing and shipping costs... and that's about 1.75USD (in the lower 48 states).

The software is free... not the medium that it is on, or the effort to get it to you.

t0p
October 22nd, 2009, 05:04 AM
I have a rather erratic internet connection. This used to mean I couldn't reliably download an .iso - if the connection gave out I wouldn't be able to resume it.

But since I discovered Ubuntu's bittorrent images that problem is over. The connection can drop out as often as it likes, I'll still get the whole thing eventually.

Unfortunately, this avenue is not open to everyone. I just hope Shipit keep sorting out CDs for those who really need it.

RichardLinx
October 22nd, 2009, 05:31 AM
I have a rather erratic internet connection. This used to mean I couldn't reliably download an .iso - if the connection gave out I wouldn't be able to resume it.

But since I discovered Ubuntu's bittorrent images that problem is over. The connection can drop out as often as it likes, I'll still get the whole thing eventually.

Unfortunately, this avenue is not open to everyone. I just hope Shipit keep sorting out CDs for those who really need it.

You could also just have used a download manager. :)

I don't have a problem with downloading the .iso so it's not a big issue if I can't get a free CD from Canonical. The real issue is finding a blank CD or USB. Is Ubuntu 9.10 going to be a hybrid ISO/USB image?

Dragonbite
October 22nd, 2009, 01:49 PM

Are you filling out the first page, or do you click the "make special request" page and explain your situation?

It is usually used when one is ordering a whole bunch of CDs, such as for a Loco event, but since there is a section to explain why you may be able to bring up your situation (low bandwidth, no broadband available, etc.) and see.

I think ShipIt still *wants* to ship out CDs. They just need to scale it back to reduce costs, especially in this economy, and with the popularity of Ubuntu one can only imagine how many requests they are getting each day!

Otherwise, either get connected with a Loco group, or start a Loco group!

Kapitän Rotbart
October 23rd, 2009, 12:20 AM
Shucks, not all cities have a LoCo team. I'll probably burn a CD or install via a USB image.

I just got an Eee PC t91 from the USofA and I'm waiting for Karmic's release to install it (to save me the hassle of configuring the hardware)...can't wait!

coolbrook
October 23rd, 2009, 01:54 AM
and that's about 1.75USD (in the lower 48 states).

Is this a bulk rate expense?

tommynz1975
October 23rd, 2009, 04:33 AM
I went to request my cd today and got the similar message you all speak of. The message now asks that you become a ubuntu member

Demand for Ubuntu CDs is very high, and we're trying to ensure that we have enough CDs for those who really need one. We've noticed that you've already received CDs of several previous Ubuntu releases. You can help us ensure the continued availability of Ubuntu CDs by

upgrading to the new release (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading) without a CD
downloading your own CD (http://www.ubuntu.com/download) for free
becoming an Ubuntu member by contributing to Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate), and thereby becoming eligible for more CDs

Thanks for your support of Ubuntu!

mivo
October 23rd, 2009, 05:10 AM
upgrading to the new release (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading) without a CD

Because that has ever worked well. ;)

This is a shame and it will hurt Ubuntu's popularity. I guess we owe this to the people who ordered large quantities of CDs even though they had the means to download or burn/duplicate (probably the same who empty whole platters of free sample food in supermarkets :)). I understand ShipIt's take on this, though.

dmizer
October 23rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
For more information regarding the changes in shipit, please see this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1297163

Thank you all for your participation.