PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] external mail from php script

polarbearcv
October 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hello,

I have installed a Ubuntu 8.04 server recently.
I'm trying to send emails from a php-script using the mail-function.
This is no problem for internal emailaddresses (own domain) but mails send to external mail addresses never arrive.
Since I'm a newbie at linux I have no idea where to start looking to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Marc

phillw
October 16th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Hi,

A lot of mail engines won't allow mail from 'private' IP's

If you check in the returned (failed) mail area it may have a message there.

Phill.

falconindy
October 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM
@OP: you need to install an MTA (mail transport agent) such as Postfix or Exim.

Hi,A lot of mail engines won't allow mail from 'private' IP's
Not really true. There's no such thing as a registrar for MX hosts and MTAs. How would a mail engine know if the IP is "private" or "public"?

phillw
October 16th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Not really true. There's no such thing as a registrar for MX hosts and MTAs. How would a mail engine know if the IP is "private" or "public"?

Well, AOL's mail servers certainly know a private IP address.

I can send email with the Works, business, internet - but not with the one at home, which is for domestic use. I'm guessing they're looking at the info for the originating IP address and filtering that way.

I was just informing the OP of something that may be stopping his emails.
Hotmail, for example, does not seem to like some of the IP addresses that google-apps use if you use their email system on your site (I do & know !!!).

Phill.

phillw
October 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM
@OP: you need to install an MTA (mail transport agent) such as Postfix or Exim.And, if you want to install, a secure MTA .... Here's a good place..

http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/

Be aware, that the authors' idea of 'easy' is not the same as 'quick' !!!

It is, however, one mother of a mail-server. Well, protected with firewall, anti-spam - AV filtering for our poor windows bretheren etc.

Set aside a weekend to get it all done, tho. It does, however, run like a dream :)

Oh, and if you don't want to use vi filename for the editing of the files you can use gksudo gedit filename
Which is the more friendly gedit text editor.

Phill.