PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How does ubuntu1 stack up against dropbox

maflynn
October 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Kind of a basic question but what is the incentive of using ubuntu1 over dropbox.

I have both at the moment and I'm trying to see what services both offer. For instance, can I use ubuntu1 for my non-ubuntu systems, are there any compatibility issues with dropbox and ubuntu (I have a dropbox acct, I just have d/l the ubuntu dropbox client yet).

Any opinions on the two would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

steev182
October 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
ubuntu one doesn't have native clients for windows/osx so that may prove problematic for you.

JGD
October 16th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I use Dropbox over Ubuntu1 for the reason stated above. I have several computers using several different OS's and Dropbox covers them all. I can even retrieve my files over the Dropbox website with my Blackberry which really rocks!

maflynn
October 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Does dropbox (or ubuntu) handle permissions and the file attributes the same way?

flipples
October 16th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Ubuntu One is set up to sync all your contacts across your Ubuntu computers.

Dropbox has the ability to automatically make photo albums. Ubuntu can make folders shared or public, but does not make automatic albums as far as I can tell.

osomphane
October 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM
From what I understand, dropbox is a storage solution. Ubuntu One is a platform on which other apps can be built. It is more of a competitor of Windows Live Mesh, but on Ubuntu rather than Mac/Windows...

cbtengr
October 17th, 2009, 07:36 PM
From what I understand, dropbox is a storage solution. Ubuntu One is a platform on which other apps can be built. It is more of a competitor of Windows Live Mesh, but on Ubuntu rather than Mac/Windows...

I've been using Dropbox for several months. It can be used for backup, but it very good way to keep files in sync among several computers, in my case, to sync files on Ubuntu, Mac and Windows computers.

You can also collaborate on a project with other Dropbox users thru file Sharing.

juancarlospaco
October 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM
dropbox files can be sniffed...

cbtengr
October 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM

See Joshua Hoover's post re encryption on Ubuntu One.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1173699

I use TrueCrypt for sensitive stuff on Dropbox.

osomphane
October 19th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I've been using Dropbox for several months. It can be used for backup, but it very good way to keep files in sync among several computers, in my case, to sync files on Ubuntu, Mac and Windows computers.

You can also collaborate on a project with other Dropbox users thru file Sharing.

My bad, I meant that Dropbox was a file storage/management solution (etc, sharing, storing, backup). Live Mesh and Ubuntu One are application platforms on which you can write cloud applications with programming languages.

maflynn
October 20th, 2009, 01:13 PM
anything transmitted has the potential of being compromised.

cbtengr
October 20th, 2009, 06:17 PM
anything transmitted has the potential of being compromised.

In theory, but if anyone wants to try to get at the stuff I have in a TrueCrypt volume, more power to them. Also, the TC volume does not sync until it has been unmounted.

drewsus
October 20th, 2009, 11:02 PM
But what of speed?
I used U1 a couple months ago and it was SLOW!
Dropbox was very fast for me.
Is this still the case?

joshuahoover
October 22nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
But what of speed?
I used U1 a couple months ago and it was SLOW!
Dropbox was very fast for me.
Is this still the case?

We've been busy making upgrades on the server side that will speed things up. My apologies for the slowness you've experienced in the past. We think you'll see fairly significant performance improvements soon, if not already.

Thank you,

Joshua