PDA

View Full Version : I am currently browsing the forums from WITHIN a KDE widget...

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
This is majorly weird! You can get all kinds of crazy widgets for this thing! I have uBlog (which admittedly isn't working at the moment but I'll fix that!), a clock, Facebook, my desktop folder, social desktop... and this web browser! So weird...

I've also been playing around with stuff like Nepomuk. Seriously man... weird *** things lol

Ok I think I'm going to hit post now and hope Plasma doesn't like... explode or something xD

Hoppi :)

stuart.reinke
October 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM
This is majorly weird! You can get all kinds of crazy widgets for this thing! I have uBlog (which admittedly isn't working at the moment but I'll fix that!), a clock, Facebook, my desktop folder, social desktop... and this web browser! So weird...

I've also been playing around with stuff like Nepomuk. Seriously man... weird *** things lol

Ok I think I'm going to hit post now and hope Plasma doesn't like... explode or something xD

Hoppi :)

Did Plasma explode? If so how do you get plasma stains off carpet?:lolflag:

I think I'll have to take a look at that widget.

With all the widgets, I don't know why I bothered to install wallpaper.:)

praveesh
October 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Well. Can you browse the youtube and Orkut sites ?

praveesh
October 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM
The plasmoids are really cool . But while doing some serious work , the desktops will be filled with windows . Even though we can hit the show dashboard widget on the panel to see the plasmoids, it's better placing the plasmoids on the panel so that they are always accessible . But unfortunately, some plasmoids like now playing doesn't integrate perfectly on the panel . The now playing plasmoid shows only 2 buttons out of the 4 buttons it really has while placed on a panel . And some plasmoids grow completely filling the entire panel . In future, Iam sure these issues will be fixed though.

OpenGuard
October 16th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Weird and cool doesn't fit together.

lovinglinux
October 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Awn dock also has a web browser widget.

By the way, my plasma-desktop is exploding with the Microblogger widget. I have already reported at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdeplasma-addons/+bug/452956

BTW, do you know how to make Superkaramba widgets to work?

Here is my thread about this issue (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1292489).

JillSwift
October 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Weird and cool doesn't fit together.
It does if you're a biologist or a psychologist. =^_^=

I wonder how hoppipolla managed to fit himself inside a widget...

RiceMonster
October 16th, 2009, 02:35 PM

There's a plasmoid that allows you to physically enter your KDE desktop. However there's a bug that makes it impossible to leave.

lovinglinux
October 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM
There's a plasmoid that allows you to physically enter your KDE desktop. However there's a bug that makes it impossible to leave.

:lolflag:

It's called PlasmaTron :)

GeneralZod
October 16th, 2009, 03:15 PM
The Plantom Zone ...

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM
hehe I'm finally back in a browser now! It's a cool widget but of course it's small, and it's only using Konqueror, and you can't have tabs and stuff! lol

It can be set to auto-refresh though, so you can use it to monitor sites or whatever you want really :)

Oh and that's an interesting bug lovinglinux, I had that when I placed the "Now Rocking" widget on the desktop! It tends to mean you have pulled down the whole of the plasma-desktop process, so you have to give it a minute before it gets itself back together again. It's just a bug but BELIEVE me it's so much more stable than it used to be. These days it's mostly solid :)

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM

rofl that's wicked, I would install that widget ^_^

lovinglinux
October 16th, 2009, 03:32 PM
hehe I'm finally back in a browser now! It's a cool widget but of course it's small, and it's only using Konqueror, and you can't have tabs and stuff! lol

It can be set to auto-refresh though, so you can use it to monitor sites or whatever you want really :)

Oh and that's an interesting bug lovinglinux, I had that when I placed the "Now Rocking" widget on the desktop! It tends to mean you have pulled down the whole of the plasma-desktop process, so you have to give it a minute before it gets itself back together again. It's just a bug but BELIEVE me it's so much more stable than it used to be. These days it's mostly solid :)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but...I have now two new applications in the tray, one is KWallet and the other is KGpg. Do I need them running all the time? As far as I can tell, Kgpg looks like the Seahorse kounterpart, but what about KWallet? How does it interact with other applications? Is it just a password manager like revelation?

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but...I have now two new applications in the tray, one is KWallet and the other is KGpg. Do I need them running all the time? As far as I can tell, Kgpg looks like the Seahorse kounterpart, but what about KWallet? How does it interact with other applications? Is it just a password manager like revelation?

I dunno lol :)

Kwallet I think is a password manager yeah, KGpg is encryption I think but... I dunno... what opened it? o.O

Tristam Green
October 16th, 2009, 03:42 PM

That's not a bug, it's a feature.

RiceMonster
October 16th, 2009, 03:45 PM
That's not a bug, it's a feature.

I lol'd

lovinglinux
October 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I dunno... what opened it? o.O

Me :lol:

Nevermind, let's go back to the PlasmaTron :)

coldReactive
October 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I'll check out KDE again in 9.10. But if it can't install the nvidia drivers (like jaunty) because jockey hangs, then it's back to XFCE/GNOME.

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I'll check out KDE again in 9.10. But if it can't install the nvidia drivers (like jaunty) because jockey hangs, then it's back to XFCE/GNOME.

what is jockey? Why don't you just install the nvidia drivers just like you would in Gnome? It's all handled outside of your DE anyway...

GeneralZod
October 16th, 2009, 03:55 PM

You can safely close them both :)

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 03:57 PM

Haha see it's good to have you around - to me the KDE desktop is like this mystical thing that I do not understand O.O hehe ^_^

I do want to contribute in whatever way I can soon though :)

lovinglinux
October 16th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Thanks. I'm going through their manual right now. It seems KWallet can be accessed by other applications on demand. Now I need to figure out a way of importing my Revelation passwords into it.

This KDE is really something nice, isn't it? I wish Firefox had KWallet integration like Konqueror.

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks. I'm going through their manual right now. It seems KWallet can be accessed by other applications on demand. Now I need to figure out a way of importing my Revelation passwords into it.

This KDE is really something nice, isn't it? I wish Firefox had KWallet integration like Konqueror.

Yeah I know! What also nice is it means that on Linux I have all the cool flexibility, all the good feeling of supporting a company as awesome as Ubuntu/Canonical and open source, AND I get an awesome desktop to comfortably rival Mac OSX and Windows 7! So we can sit here talking about widgets and fancy apps and all this funkiness lol

coldReactive
October 16th, 2009, 04:11 PM
what is jockey? Why don't you just install the nvidia drivers just like you would in Gnome? It's all handled outside of your DE anyway...

That is how I would install it in gnome (and it works in gnome and xfce). Jockey is the propietary hardware driver manager, and it comes with KDE too, just with QT instead of GTK.

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 04:12 PM
That is how I would install it in gnome (and it works in gnome and xfce). Jockey is the propietary hardware driver manager.

But I use the official nvidia drivers too, they installed automatically. What is wrong?

coldReactive
October 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
But I use the official nvidia drivers too, they installed automatically. What is wrong?

jockey hangs when I try to "activate" my nvidia drivers in KDE.

praveesh
October 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM

you can safely install nvidia drivers in kUbuntu . But I would suggest you install the latest driver downloaded from the nvidia website than from the one from the repo

coldReactive
October 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
you can safely install nvidia drivers in kUbuntu . But I would suggest you install the latest driver downloaded from the nvidia website than from the one from the repo

The one in the repo is more stable by my standards.

Anyway: here's the thread I made about it, so we don't get off topic: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1278728

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 04:18 PM
The one in the repo is more stable by my standards.

Anyway: here's the thread I made about it, so we don't get off topic: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1278728

ok I'll post about it there from now on :)

SlugSlug
October 16th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Any Screen Shots ??

praveesh
October 16th, 2009, 04:23 PM
jockey hangs when I try to "activate" my nvidia drivers in KDE.

I install the drivers by downloading the binary from the nvidia web site and using terminal . No need of activation and no need of jockey . I did that in kUbuntu jaunty . So it will work in karmic too. If you have any doubt regarding installing the drivers directly from the nvidia , there's already a thread . And you can ask me too .
Edit : since I was typing , while you type , I didn't see the posts after the above one . Sorry

hoppipolla
October 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Any Screen Shots ??

I just took this one actually! I hope someone who is in it a bit doesn't mind lol

http://i36.tinypic.com/2m4ykbl.jpg

Good isn't it? That's with a ton of widgets and the cube panned out!