PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a career :-) Enginerds please apply!

jessiebrownjr
October 16th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Hello!

I was in the navy and have pretty much a BS in electronics engineering technician degree.
I once upon a time knew the component level of all DC circuitry but no longer work in the field. I love the idea of programming and would love to hear from hardcore coders what they think of their job. I love technology and any aspect of it. I have limited experience in programming. Im currently teaching myself C. Don't know my love/hate level for it yet but I do know I love to create things. I want to know how things work, and how to create them. I know with C i'd probably just be relearning the wheel but help me out. I like linux and what it stands for, windows has always ticked me off. This is probably a vague post but, reply with what you are inspired to! :-) I love the hacking atmosphere of the net... Not that I want to *literally* break into systems illegaly but more so I want to know how its done and How I can outsmart the *hacker*. I --am-- a smart guy, so no challenge would scare me, but I don't know where to start.This means that I need *some* hand holding for about 5 minutes and then im off on my own to learn.. I recent switched to linux, took a crash course, and am learning C now.. what next if I may ask? :-) thanks for any help or advice guys! keep this forum in your favorites, im an active poster and love to learn! thanks!

fct
October 16th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Something like Computer Engineering or Comp. Science might be what you want.

I've studied "Informatics Engineering" in Spain and apart from your typical engineering stuff like algebra there were mandatory courses like CPU architectures and AI and a whole range of complementary courses that allowed you to specialize on your interests, like OS design or 3D programming with OpenGL.

You can learn on your own, but if you have the time and money for college it'll be worth it.

MindSz
October 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I finished my studies in Computer Engineering (BS & MS) in Maryland and moved back to my home country Chile and am now working at a small firm that focused on electronics.

I got to program C a lot (specially for embedded systems) but I also get to design boards and solder stuff and all that. I even get to go out and test it in the field (mines and hospitals and places like that). I think this is the kind of job I always imagined I was going to have and I love it.

So yeah, Computer Engineering would be my choice if you like both Electronics and Programming.

jessiebrownjr
October 16th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, is that similiar to a computer science degree or is that just a basic degree?

Wistful
October 17th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, is that similiar to a computer science degree or is that just a basic degree?

Try reading this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1249553) from the beginning.

There you will find explanations and links that clarify the main differences between Computer Science(mainly Software Development) / IT / vs Computer Engineering(Electronics+Programming)

cmwarre
October 18th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Hey man, I'm currently enrolled at NMSU working on a degree to be an Electrical Engineer (Probobly something with embedded systems/computer engineering). I'm taking a class in C right now and it pretty much looks like a good part of my education is gonna be programming with C and Java and interfacing it with MATLAB. I think you should just finish that degree but be prepared to do a lot of calculus. Hope this helps.

jessiebrownjr
October 18th, 2009, 03:04 PM
After reading that *other* post wistful linked, in either doing CSENG or... scrapping programming as a career and just doing electronics engineering, and if me knowing C or other languages helps then I'll list it hehe.